I've decided to purchase a processor/multi fx unit. I've had a pod xtl before and didn't like it, so I'm curious is there any reason not to get a digitech rp1000? Unfortunately I can't try before I buy but everything I've looked up online / digitech site sounds fine and I like the list of amps, effects and cabs. Just curious if there's any downside to the unit. Thanks!
Imo the rp's are the worst of the bunched in that range of multifx. You'd be better off getting a Zoom G3/5 for a lot cheaper. A used Boss ME50 would also destroy the rp1000. All my opinion of course but I do have experience with all of them if that means anything.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
No worries, I'm just looking for opinions. More-so a direct opinion instead of random google searches. because I feel like I'm a unique snowflake and my question that's probably been asked a thousand time deserves to be answered *rolls eyes*.

Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it.
The RP1000 is by no means the worst of anything, and an ME50 could only dream about besting it. It's a rugged unit with a lot of good tones in it. It integrates well with pedals due to the stomp loop, and supports 4CM hookups. The biggest reason you might not like it is because you didn't like the XTL. Based on that you may not like any multifx.

The main con is that you can't have any order/any effect in your chain as the latest multifx (Zoom and HD500) offer. This feature is not yet the standard for multifx, but the future seems to be leaning that way.

In addition, IIRC the ME-50 isn't even an appropriate suggestion for someone who's looking to go direct. I don't believe it has amp models or cab emulations.
Last edited by fly135 at Sep 27, 2013,
i am by no means a digitech fan, but i was actually quite impressed with the features of the rp1000. i would probably go with a line 6 hd500 instead, but i chalk that up to more personal preference than any real reason for one over another.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
My apologies, I assumed he wanted opinions and I didn't notice anything about going direct.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
So I can't have my delays and reverbs post-pre section with the rp1000? That may be a problem, but if I'm just using it with my pc through powered monitors, that shouldn't matter correct?

Also I heard that the HD 500 can't do cleans very well.
Last edited by HammerParty at Sep 27, 2013,
You can run your delays and effects after the preamp if you are using the RP1000 with an amp, you just have to connect it to the effects loop and the front of the amp, aka 4 cable method. You can generally set most of the modulation type effects to be pre or post amp, but you cannot for example, set the wah as post amp or the delay as pre amp. I suggest downloading the owners manual and reading through it.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Sep 28, 2013,
very good idea Tremolo. Also thanks for the information. Also being that you own it, how do you like it? have you tried the hd500, etc.?
imo if any of you guys didnt like RP models went with the factory sounds which what I feel are tailored in a way to sound ok on all the systems not good on one and bad on another.

If you really wanna know if you like the unit or not, then try making a custom patch and tweak it to your needs, guitar and amp. Then you get how it all sounds.

And imo RPs are really good, their expressiveness (of tube amps) are pretty much great! Roll your volume down and you get no breakup crank it up and it breaks up, these units also take analog pedals really well. I'm running tons of Overdrive and fuzz and wah and phaser and stuff with it and it sounds all good! or even better.

disclaimer. i'm not saying it's as good as a tube amp.
Digitechs have decent FX, but their amp models are not that great at all.

I'll give a +1 to the line 6 HD500 or if you only need FX the Line 6 M9/M13 is worth looking at or a TC Nova/G system
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by HammerParty
very good idea Tremolo. Also thanks for the information. Also being that you own it, how do you like it? have you tried the hd500, etc.?

I have yet to do an extensive review, but I have owned it for 6 months now.

I use it via 4 cable method with my rig and it works really slick. I have a tubescreamer and noise gate in the "stomp loop" so I can just leave them on and activate them on a per-patch basis or with a footswitch from the RP1000.

I use the RP1000 for the clean amp sims and my real amp for distortion. The cleans are very good. I set up a patch with the 5150 sim and compared it to my real amp and with some tweaking, it can get very close.

I don't go direct so I haven't really tweaked it too much to try and get good sounds that way so I can't comment there.

It's a little cheaper than the comparable Line 6 HD500 and may have a few less bells and whistles, but it does what I need. I haven't played an HD500 enough to offer a legitimate comparison.

One peave I have is that when hooked up with my amp via 4 cable method, if I happen to be using a preamp sim instead of my amp's preamp, the bypass does not seem to work right. If I hit bypass the signal gets super loud and clean, as if I'm just running straight into the power amp. If I'm using my amp's preamp and hit bypass, the bypass works as it should.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
The RP has great cleans and low to mid gain, but high gain is a bit so so. Also, you get fewer effect routing options as compared to the HD500.

However, the RP is also cheaper.

I'd pick an RP1000 over an HD400, but an HD500 over an RP.
Quote by Tremolo Bum
One peave I have is that when hooked up with my amp via 4 cable method, if I happen to be using a preamp sim instead of my amp's preamp, the bypass does not seem to work right. If I hit bypass the signal gets super loud and clean, as if I'm just running straight into the power amp. If I'm using my amp's preamp and hit bypass, the bypass works as it should.
It's working right because that's exactly how the manual says it works. When using amp sims the bypass acts as though your guitar is plugged into the amps FX return (ignoring impedance issues), or with anything in a active stomp loop.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
The RP has great cleans and low to mid gain, but high gain is a bit so so. Also, you get fewer effect routing options as compared to the HD500.

However, the RP is also cheaper.

I'd pick an RP1000 over an HD400, but an HD500 over an RP.

hey man long time no talk
Last edited by Vendetta V at Sep 28, 2013,
Thanks for the review tremolo and everyone else opinions. Still undecided but so far the rp doesn't seem bad at all!
I have an RP355 and RP1000 has all the same effects and amps as it has (plus some more). I would say it's not that special. The effects are OK, they get the job done, but nothing amazing. The amp models tend to sound harsh, no matter how you EQ them (or if you can get rid of the harshness, it will sound dull).
Quote by Vendetta V
imo if any of you guys didnt like RP models went with the factory sounds which what I feel are tailored in a way to sound ok on all the systems not good on one and bad on another.

If you really wanna know if you like the unit or not, then try making a custom patch and tweak it to your needs, guitar and amp. Then you get how it all sounds.

And imo RPs are really good, their expressiveness (of tube amps) are pretty much great! Roll your volume down and you get no breakup crank it up and it breaks up, these units also take analog pedals really well. I'm running tons of Overdrive and fuzz and wah and phaser and stuff with it and it sounds all good! or even better.

disclaimer. i'm not saying it's as good as a tube amp.

I never used the factory presets. IMO they sound like crap. I have found a couple of good sounds with it. But IMO it sounds nothing like a real amp. It's pretty good for headphone practicing but for anything else... I don't know. I use it for recording because it has an USB port which is a great feature.

And every amp cleans up when you turn down your volume knob (not just tube amps - that happens with every amp, though usually tube amps are the most touch responsive). And I wouldn't say this pedal is really touch responsive.

Oh, and one more thing I didn't like was that it's a tone sucker. My dry tone sounded like crap when I run it in front of my amp.

So all in all, an OK pedal that gets the job done. I haven't tried any other multi FX pedals but I'm sure there are better ones out there. Oh, and my experiences are about RP355, not the RP1000 but as I said, most of the amps and effects are the same. RP1000 just has a bit more features.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Sep 28, 2013,
I have the RP500 and really like it as a multi-effect. The amp modeling is hit and miss. The unit as a whole seems to work best in front of a clean tube amp rather than a SS amp IMO.

I tried the RP1000, it sounded great but I found the two levels of footswitches a challenge to work on the fly. I tend to click effects on and off during a tune. If they swapped the rows, it would be much better for me.

I have owned the RP500 for abound 3 years and have never had an issue with it. Solidly built and electronically stable. I couldn't ask for much more for less than $400 US.
I'd wait a few months before getting a digitech rp unless you are desperate. They are to release an update for their current mfx line up in a few months, it's called Element. At the moment they haven't revealed all but the rp70 & rp90 replacements on their website. Wait a little while longer, who knows the next rp1000 replacement may have their hardwire pedal lineup algorithms or stuff from the iStomp.
^ Yeah, I think the istomp & ipb10 are discontinued now cause most online sites show them out of stock. That ipB10 had many bugs cropping up due to iOS & considering the revisions the iPAD & it's OS underwent. People got more frustrated, sales were affected & digitech got a lot of heat for not releasing bug fixes quickly enough(or not at all in some cases). Although the users of it loved the quality of sound they were getting from it & everything but not a well thought project overall I'd say.

Expect mostly non i-Device requiring/integrated units to come out from them and a well long awaited replacement for the GSP1101. Few more months of wait
Yeah, I have about a few months to go anyhow. Might buy an eleven rack, we'll see. Hopefully digitech can deliver something awesome soon!