I'm an active player at my church, but my gear has always been lacking. Right now I run a Tonelab SE into a friends Hot Rod 212.

The first thing I need to do is pick out an amp. We mic our amps backstage in a sound box and run them through the sound system, so volume isn't really an issue as long as it isn't unreasonably quiet. My budget for an amp caps at about 350. I'm completely willing to buy used gear, and would actually prefer it
I've been looking at just a basic Blues Junior, or a VHT Classic 18.

After the amp is resolved, I need to look at a nicer pedal setup. The primary focus here is on delay and reverb. We use a lot of ambient noises and big open soundscapes. At the same time I also need to fit in at least 1 over drive for the fast paced songs.

I don't want a board so big that i cant reach the back, but I also dont want it so small that I can't get the tones I wan't/need out of it.

I'm basically asking for help because I don't look into gear as much as others. If I picked out gear for myself I wouldn't doubt that it would sound ok, but i feel like others can do a way better job than me. Thanks!
the Hot Rod 2x12 is plenty fine unless your friend doesn't want you using your amp anymore.

to me it sounds like you may wanna look into an effects processor (pod hd500, digitech rp1000, zoom, kemper, axe-fx, etc) or a modeling amp (peavey vypyr, fender mustang, etc) as your budget is pretty small and this will most likely get you your best results.

since you amps are off stage and you don't really need any stage volume then i'd personally go with a mult-effects, probably a HD500. just bypass an amp altogether and go right into the board.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
the Hot Rod 2x12 is plenty fine unless your friend doesn't want you using your amp anymore.

to me it sounds like you may wanna look into an effects processor (pod hd500, digitech rp1000, zoom, kemper, axe-fx, etc) or a modeling amp (peavey vypyr, fender mustang, etc) as your budget is pretty small and this will most likely get you your best results.

since you amps are off stage and you don't really need any stage volume then i'd personally go with a mult-effects, probably a HD500. just bypass an amp altogether and go right into the board.

+1
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by schecter ftw
A Blues Junior would work fine, it's more about the effects tbh. You're gonna need a least a reverb, delay, and volume pedal for a really basic set-up.

a blues jr. would work just fine for an amp, but it'd probably be one of my last choices for an effects platform. i'd prefer something with an effects loop and more headroom if i was gonna run effects through it.

-ae
There are a few Peavey VK50 1x12 combos for $200 on www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
It would work fine for what you want, nice clean channel, a decent gain channel and an FX loop. Use $80 and buy a WGS Veteran 30 or Eminence Governor (less if you go used), get a new set of JJ tubes for the amp and you will have a very nice sounding rig for just about any style and under your $350 budget
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 28, 2013,
Quote by voncameron
What's your budget for the pedals?

I can buy them over time. I'm just looking for guidelines
I am currently running the tonelab SE which is a multi effects processor and amp modeller. I like it a lot but I'm looking for more versatility.

Also, I dont know if i would even be able to run an effects loop. Since the amp is way back stage, we run into a direct box out front and it sends the signal back and we run amp to mic. I'm not sure how to make an effects loop setup work so I usually just run my Tonelab infront
Get a POD hd500 used. It will do everything you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I am an active church player too. Here's a few tips.

Don't limit yourself to what you think you should sound like. Plenty of churches will expect you to have the characterless clean, multiple-delay drenched ambient tone á la Hillsong (not saying your church does though, or if you want that tone that there's anythign wrong with it). Always go for the tone you want. At the end of the day you're there to worship God, and that becomes very difficult if you're stood there thinking "this sounds like crap".

The first starting point is your amp, 2 channels is good because generally you have to cover so many different styles. Go out and try them, find the one you like. On top of the BJr and the VHT check out the Jet City JCA22H. (I have a VHT Ultra and a Jet City 50watter in my back line)

As far as effects go, you're inevitably going to want a reverb (TC Electronic Trinity Reverb from PGS would be my recommendation), a little analogue delay set fast is nice too (TC Electronic Alter Ego, also from PGS), you can run these in an effects loop and have them as "set and forget", even the delay if you have it fast just to double up a little. Up in front I'd start with a tubescreamer like the digitech bad monkey (it's cheap and has an extra tone control). If you're playing a lot of cleans I'd look at a compressor, but a really good one like the Carl Martin compressor/limiter, otherwise I personally wouldn't bother, they just suck too much out of my dynamics and destroy my tone doing it.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
I sometimes use my full rig for church and sometimes just bring in my RP1000 if I'm feeling lazy. I prefer having an amp, but for church going direct usually sounds fine.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Sometimes I bring Satan w/me to church. It goes over like a turd in a pool.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Sometimes I bring Satan w/me to church. It goes over like a turd in a pool.

oh my.

-ae
A Blues Junior will work just fine. If you notice, lately the trend is for the amp to already be breaking up slightly, so lacking the immaculate clean headroom of say, a Twin, isn't a problem. I play with my clean tone slightly dirty on my Vox and control the amount with my pick attack. Admittedly, I'd prefer a Vox over a Fender Blues Junior for playing what you're playing. It cuts through the mix a bit better.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Awesome replies from everyone besides the satan guy lol. Thank you
Some of the guys at my church use Blues Juniors and AC15/30s. I prefer the Vox tone for most worship music as well.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by jkielq91
It might be easier to use a simulator or floor unit like a GT-10. Run it straight in to the sound system and it should sound great.

Yep, as long as line/phones mode is on
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Guys. I have an amp modeler/simulator, I want to move on. I dont mean to sound like a total jerk but I've mentioned it like 3 times already.

To everyone else who has mentioned something alternatively, thank you very much!
Quote by zdshdci
Guys. I have an amp modeler/simulator, I want to move on. I dont mean to sound like a total jerk but I've mentioned it like 3 times already.

To everyone else who has mentioned something alternatively, thank you very much!

You have a reasonably decent but outdated amp modeler/simulator, the HD500 suggested is a different beast entirely.

That being said, I understand if you simply WANT individual components, many people feel that way.

I prefer to have both...
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
You have a reasonably decent but outdated amp modeler/simulator, the HD500 suggested is a different beast entirely.

That being said, I understand if you simply WANT individual components, many people feel that way.

I prefer to have both...

I'm with you on this. I have an HD500, plus pedals and amps. (And a few guitars)

HD500 is easy to use, easy enough to program(very easy with a computer) and will plug directly into your churches sound system.

My advice would be to check out one in a guitar center to see if you like it, if not get out a vox AC15 or 30 along with the list of fender amps you might like.

That way you can play and get the feel for all of them. Chances are one will speak to you more than the others.

Then buy the one you want used, either from a GC or from CL.

Another thing to consider is the distance from your pedal board to your amp- some people had treble drop off due to poor buffers inside the pedals and the cable length. Keep this in mind and don't have your pedal board all true-bypass. I'm not sure how far the loud room is from where you actually play.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Sep 30, 2013,
Just get a used Peavey vypyr 30 with the sanpera footswitch. Theres one on ebay now for 250. If you want to spend more around 500 you could pick up a tube lunchbox amp like a vox night train or a Marshall dsl15
Quote by DeathMetalJesus
Just get a used Peavey vypyr 30 with the sanpera footswitch. Theres one on ebay now for 250. If you want to spend more around 500 you could pick up a tube lunchbox amp like a vox night train or a Marshall dsl15

Why a 30? If he went the vypyr route the tube 60 would be better.

DSL15 is horrible. He could find a DSL401(combo) for 350-450 which is a much better amp, assuming he can find a 2005 and newer as the older ones had a heat issue.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I was just thinking the 30 because he was looking to be under a tight budget.

As far as the dsl15, a buddy of mine just got one and was raving about it so I thought it might be worth a look. I have not personally played one.
Quote by DeathMetalJesus
I was just thinking the 30 because he was looking to be under a tight budget.

As far as the dsl15, a buddy of mine just got one and was raving about it so I thought it might be worth a look. I have not personally played one.

Dont get me wrong- your suggestions were good but for like 50-100 more he could get a better version of what you said. Better is subjective as well. Not everyone wants tube amps.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I'm also active with doing worship at a college/young adults ministry and i use my Mesa/Boggie Express 5:50 with a volume pedal, 2 delays and a reverb and i get an awesome tone (been saving up over time)

but since you on a budget you can look into with the VOX VALVETRONIX+ amps. You can get some sweet tones out of those amps and their delay has a tap temp capability. A friend of mine leads worship at another college/young adults group and he plays through POD XT Live and a modded DL4 and he gets some sweat tones out of it. I don't know what settings he using but he makes it sounds awesome.

Or if you save up go with a VOX AC30 or something like that. thats what most of your big name worship bands use (Hillsong, Jesus Culture, etc.)
Last edited by deadmanwalkin00 at Sep 30, 2013,
As long as you get a good clean to cleanish foundation that is reasonably pedal friendly, you can get a couple good overdrive/distortion/boost pedals to get a variety of dirt. I can cover everything from light breakup to a heavy Foo Fighters or STP type of distortion. I don't use the heavy side as much, but it's nice to have. You can choose any delay or reverb you like to cover the ambient sounds. There are no rules, as long as you like the sound.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Lots of people have suggested Blues Juniors, I would look at an AC15 too. I think they are still in your budget.

The go to delay for worship seems to be the line 6 DL-4. I use a TC Nova delay, which is pretty sweet. I think the TC Hall or Fame Reverb is a pretty popular pedal, I'm eventually going to get one myself. Have you thought of a volume pedal too, like the earnie ball VP, for swells etc?

At the moment I use a Blackstar HT5. I have the volume 3/4 up, use picking dynamics to go between clean and mild crunch and then a Fulltone OCD for the rest. Works surprisingly well!