Hi!

I came up with a cool idéa for a guitar wiring setup.
I'm not very familiar with the topic of guitar wiring, so maybe this is a well known setup, but I don't know what it's called.

The concept is to be able to choose every possible combination of coils from a 2 humbucker setup with 3x 3 way switches (one regular for mic selecting and two minis for coil selecing).

The regular 3-way selects the mics, nothing new here:
1) Bridge 2) Both 3) Neck

Then another 3-way-switch which selects the coils of the bridge pickup:
1) outer coil 2) both 3) inner coil

And then another that does the same for the bridge pup (swapped positions to be more intuitive):
1) inner coil 2) both 3) outer coil

Then just a regular vol + tone. (I was thinking about a 2x volume solution to really get control of your sound, but that might be a bit much to fiddle with for the player)

I'm sure this has been done before, so does someone know how to find a diagram for this setup?
Aren't the outer and inner coils of a pickup going to sound the same?
You should probably check out the wiring thread which if I remember correctly is stickied.

I think you might've jumbled a few words in your post by the way. Confused me at first.

EDIT: Here is the wiring thread. Turns out it's not stickied.
..I was watching my death.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Sep 28, 2013,
Outer and inner coils of the same pickup will sound the same. Plus you have phasing issues to worry about. And to he honest, its a lot of switching and stuff that you probably won't use after the initial novelty wears off because there's so much going on.
Last edited by Invader Jim at Sep 28, 2013,
Huh, outer and inner sound the same? Just to be clear, i mean the "left" or "right" coil of the humbucker pickup, i might have the terminilogy mixed up

So you are suggesting that, if we number the coils of a 2 humbucker setup 1-4, from bridge to neck, coils 1 + 4 and coils 2 + 3 will have the exact same sound? That sounds strange to me.

Here is an example where hes saying that he switch between "outer" and "inner" coils, and there is definetley a difference in sound: http://youtu.be/s_JgKOjTTqg?t=2m25s (Go to 2:25)

Here is another diagram from the Suhr Guthrie Govan sig guitar where they mix outer and inner coils in different positions:

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww316/JohnDHewitt/GN2/SGGwiring310110.gif

The purpose is mainly to understand the different sounds of different combinations of coils, you will get most of what you need for one song with the mic selector switch, the other two are just for experimenting with tone in the studio (im a guitar tone junkie ).
That's only the Bareknuckle Juggernaut. According to the website the bridge pickup has both a ceramic and alnico magnet in it. That would make a difference depending on which half of the coil you use. I've never heard of this mixed magnet pickup before to be honest.

EDIT: If you found the wiring diagram, why did you need to ask about it?
I've never heard of pickups as being referred to mics ever. They're completely different things.
Last edited by timbit2006 at Sep 29, 2013,
I'm not talking about "half coils" or anything here, I'm just talking about selecting either one of the two coils in a humbucker.

Sorry, I mixed up terms, i meant pickup, not mic. In swedish they are the same word

The diagram I linked to does not do what I want entirely, just an example where they use both inner and outer coils of the same pickup for different sounds (as an argument against that it wouldn't matter).

However, I found a youtube clip of what I am trying to do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGFtq0Kx7BI

He talks alot and doesn't show any diagrams, but this is exactly what I'm trying to achieve!

Would the wiring for this setup be really complex?
I can't really hear a tone difference between the two coils; volume difference, yes. On the bridge pickup, the coil closest to the bridge likely sounds weaker because it is close to the bridge. If you pluck your E string you may notice it hardly fluctuates at all close to the bridge. On the neck pickup I notice no difference between the coils at all. The volume difference can be explained by the guitar pick being closer to the pickup.
Many pickups do have a polepiece screw rather than the metal slug which I'd imagine would sound different.

The Bareknuckle Juggernaut pickup would make a difference as it has two different types of magnets in it, alnico and ceramic.

Guitar wiring is never really too complex. Check the wiring thread. There's a nice big red hyperlink to it in Jim's signature. The diagram you want definitely exists somewhere.
Yeah, nevermind the juggernaut, didn't know about the dual magnet thing

I hear a big difference between the 5th and the 6th clip (coil 3 vs coil 4) and 7th and 15th (1+4 vs 2+3)

Anywho, I guess I'll keep searching the interwebs
It depends on what pickups you are using. Most, if not all, Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio will use two of the same coil wired out of phase with each other to make a humbucker. Bareknuckle are more of a "boutique" brand so they will have a few pickups that have their coils tuned differently to make up their humbucker tones.

If you're using mounting rings for your guitar (as opposed to a pickguard or direct mount where this won't apply) then I highly recommend using Seymour Duncans triple shot mounting rings.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
For the record, I plan on using DiMarzio liquifire/crunchlab.

The triple shot is an interesting product and I was considering it. However I think they are to fiddely and doesnt look very good (I don't like mounting rings to begin with) so I decided against them.

Thanks though

But is there a problem with phase if you wire it like in the video?
Isn't phase issues just present when you use both coils of a pickup?
You could get the same effect doing a Brian May style wiring, with a phase switch instead of a 3-way, but if you want to do it like you described, for each pickup you need a 3 position ON/ON/ON (Important: Make sure that it's not On/Off/On) switch, and connect the pickup north and south hot, or start, leads (Green and Red for DiMarzio?) to the left lug, the cold, or finish, leads to the opposite site lug, and the center goes to volume.

Also IMPORTANT: I believe in this situation, you want to make sure you wire the switches in series, rather than parallel. What this means, is that instead of individual wires from each switch to the volume, you put a wire from Pickup 1 switch to pickup 2 switch, then from pickup 2 switch you put a lead to the volume.

But you probably need a phase switch on one (not both) of the pickups, it doesn't matter which, just that you have one. I'll draw you a diagram of how I would do it, if needed

Edit: alternatively, individual volumes for each coil, or a stereo pan pot for the the same purpose
Last edited by DavesGuitars at Oct 4, 2013,