I plan on getting a guitar in a few months, but I'm not quite sure of what I want yet. I plan on playing '80s hard rock and heavy metal, Van Halen, Def Leppard, etc. I have a Peavey Ultra 112 amp that I currently use. I went into Guitar Center a couple weeks ago and tried out a few guitars, and I liked the general feel of the SG I tried, if you know what I'm getting at. My budget is around $300 or so.
Since you like the feel I would like for an Epiphone SG 400. It is in your price range and a well built guitar. There is a similar guitar in that price range in an ESP LTD viper. I'd would try to play them both, but I have no experience with the vipers. Good luck and have fun!
Is the Maestro tremolo worth a few more bucks, or is it too much of a hassle to be of any use?
I highly recommend checking
out the Ltd Vipers go used you
can snag a great guitar imo.
normally 80s hard rock and heavy metal is played on a superstrat. that's obviously a massive overgeneralisation, but yeah.

if you would prefer an SG though that would also be absolutely fine for those genres.

it's up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?