Hello All,

I tried to learn when I was a teanager and other than making a lot of unwanted (by my mom) noise. I didn't really learn anything.

I tried again in my mid 20's and even took lessons. The lessons were dull as dishwater. I think I played single note clair de la lune about a million times and then I quit. The Guitar Instructor made some good cash off me.

I just got Rocksmith and I love it. It's fun to play. I can screw up and keep on going. I've been having a blast with it.

I bought a Monoprice Guitar for $80. The frets were really sharp and cut up my left hand pretty good. No blood but still. I'd like to have something that feels good to hold and play.

I will be using this guitar primarily for Rocksmith. Maybe someday when I learn a few songs I'd play it elsewhere but for now I'll be sitting or standing in front of my computer. Playing through headphones or cheap PC speakers.

Comfort is important because I think as long as Rocksmith can "hear" what is being played how it actually sounds is secondary.

So here entries from the noob request form:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?
$250 Max; Started at $80, the $199, then $239, you know how this goes.

Favorite Artists? - Are there any guitarists whose tone that you'd like to get close to?
This is hard to answer. I can tell you artists I like. As far as sounding like them I am not sure I have a preference. Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Old Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Old Judas Priest, Queensryche, Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows. Maybe that helps? Sorry if not.

Preferences? - What body shapes, neck profiles, brands, and number of frets do you like/want?
I had a Les Paul copy when I was a kid. I think I'd stay away from that even though it's a beautiful guitar. I like the double cut strat look. Nothing to crazy like a Flying V or a lightning bolt.

I've been looking at:
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Peavey Predator
Xaviere XV-890HSS
S.U.B. Silo3

Pickups? - Do you want actives, passives, humbuckers, single coils? What configuration are you looking for?
Again I'm not sure. I'd like it to be flexible. HSS or HH maybe... Did I say that correctly?

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.
I wouldn't mind used but of course I'd want to be sure it's in great shape and a quality guitar. It's hard to judge as a novice. With that in mind I've been looking more at new guitars.

Location? - Where are you located? The more detail you can give us, the more we can help you. We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly, because prices and markets fluctuate throughout the world, and we can help further if we know what city you are in to see what used gear is available near you (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc).
I am in Burbank, California. No Stalking!

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Terrible left hand shredding Monoprice Guitar. It's really not that bad.

Thanks for any and all advice.

--Ikohs
Squier Classic Vibe strat or telecaster. Go on the Guitar Center website and look search Classic Vibe, sort by cheapest price, try to find one that describes its condition as great or better.

A Peavey Predator (made in the USA) or Yamaha Pacifica 112J will also be fine guitars. I just suggest CV because they're considered comparable to Fender MIM guitars and they hold their value pretty well on the used market.
I second the Pacifica, nice comfortable body shape and the necks are nice and playable.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hello and thanks for the replies.

I think I'm leaning away from whammy bars and towards string through body guitars. Any advice in that regard?

What are the pros and cons of whammy vs no whammy?

Maybe Predator Plus ST string through VS Yamaha Pacifica 112J with Whammy?

I thought that while the whammy bar would be fun to play with I probably wouldn't get much use from it. (especially while just starting out) The string through body seems much simpler to maintain and super stable.

What do you advise?

Thanks again,
--Ikohs
In terms of whammy vs no whammy, if you're just starting out, I'd advise against them. While they are definitely fun to play with, you'll probably encounter some tuning problems that you really don't need when you're first learning.

But if you really have your heart set on a whammy bar, you could always buy the Pacifica so you at least have the option of a whammy bar, but you can remove/block it until you feel like you're ready for one.
Last edited by BrokenByDefault at Sep 29, 2013,
For Rocksmith, I'd stay away from a whammy bar. Makes changing tunings a real pain in the butt.

If you can hit up a guitar store and try various guitars, that would be best. Then you can figure out which ones YOU like best for feel and looks. At $250 you probably won't get too many that are complete crap and might find a few that are really good for you.
Definetly stay out of tremolos when you are starting out. You wont use one for quite some time (if ever if rhythm guitar becomes your calling) and they only introduce tuning problems. Because if you want to change your tuning (even for just Drop D) you have to balance the trem again. Though you can always block it with a piece of wood and some picks.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Sep 29, 2013,
Vintage tremolos like the ones you get on a Pacifica or a Strat are no more problematic than a fixed bridge - it's only floating, Floyd-type bridges that are going to give you a major headache.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Another vote for the pacifica, it stays in tune and is comfortable to play. Its hard to find something with better quality in that price range.
I got the Pacifica 212V from musician's friend and wasn't happy with it, sent it back. That said, it was comfortable and the fret ends were okay; definitely won't cut your fingers. I've heard good things about the classic vibe squiers but they are about $380 new. Guitar Center typically has a pretty big selection of $150-$250 guitars on hand to try out before you buy. That's the route I'd go with; just find one that you like and is comfortable.
Quote by steven seagull
Vintage tremolos like the ones you get on a Pacifica or a Strat are no more problematic than a fixed bridge - it's only floating, Floyd-type bridges that are going to give you a major headache.

Really? How does a classic trem work? The only classic trem I ever handled was on one POS Squire I had years ago (when I started to practice playing guitar the first time) and I cant remember a single thing about the guitar except it sucked bad.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Thanks again. I'll stay away from the floating tremolo/whammy and include the vintage tremolo/whammy guitars in my search.

I have to hurry my friend wants to buy my $80 Monoprice Guitar.

--Ikohs