A quick background, my fiancé and I are looking to buy a house and so far most of the houses were built before1978 (many of them in the early 1900's). The problem is most houses built before '78 contain lead paint. My question to you, all knowing and wise pit dwellers is would you buy a house which contained lead paint (assuming the house was in good shape and the paint wasn't peeling or cracking).

I should point out as of right now kids are not in the picture, but will probably be at some point.
It's not worse than chemicals under the sink, and I'm sure those taste better.

A bigger concern is you should have walls tested for all chemicals, like if drugs were ever cooked there, it only costs like 50 bucks, but it could potentially save a lot of sickness and money.
Quote by stratkat
It's not worse than chemicals under the sink, and I'm sure those taste better.

A bigger concern is you should have walls tested for all chemicals, like if drugs were ever cooked there, it only costs like 50 bucks, but it could potentially save a lot of sickness and money.

Actually, lead supposedly tastes pretty sweet.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
nope,its not like im going around licking the walls....anymore....that was great night..
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Depends...if I ReALLY REALLY REALLY liked the house then I would just strip the paint down and repaint everything. Otherwise, no. I'm not paying money to get sick.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Shaco
uhhh.... yes, of course!

Yes you would buy the house, or yes you would pass on it. I just noticed I kind of asked two separate questions between the subject and the actual post, my mistake
Lead paint absolutely wrecks kids. If you're fine with redoing all the paint (some point between the purchase and the childrens), sure, buy the house. Otherwise, I'd suggest passing for the sake of the childrens.
Quote by Bourbonstreet
A quick background, my fiancé and I are looking to buy a house and so far most of the houses were built before1978 (many of them in the early 1900's). The problem is most houses built before '78 contain lead paint. My question to you, all knowing and wise pit dwellers is would you buy a house which contained lead paint (assuming the house was in good shape and the paint wasn't peeling or cracking).

I should point out as of right now kids are not in the picture, but will probably be at some point.

If the paint is still around from 1978 then it would probably be time to repaint anyway. If it had lead paint I would factor that into the price because when you need to repaint it will cost to take the necessary protection.

Also be wary of asbestos in older houses. Asbestos cladding is okay if it is in tact and sealed with paint but you have to be aware and also take that into account when discussing price because if you have to reclad it will cost extra to have the cladding properly disposed of etc. If there is any doubt get certification that it is clear of asbestos. Any other asbestos (insulation etc) then don't buy. The clean up is expensive and the airbourne dust is extremely harmful.
Si
i meant yes, of course it would deter me from buying the house....

i would much more comfortable in something that is a little more up to modern standards although i don't have anything personally against lead based paints or anything... since i've lived in a house with old kind of paint and do live in a place most likely to have lead based paint...

oh damn wait a minute... i wanna get out of here now...

ha ha
I really can't see a problem with it. On the walls it's probably gonna be fine. I always thought that the main problem was that it was painted on cots and infants would chew the bars. So long as you don't have lead painted cots, should be fine.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by Bourbonstreet

Don't eat the paint and you'll be fine.
Quote by Kozlic
Depends...if I ReALLY REALLY REALLY liked the house then I would just strip the paint down and repaint everything. Otherwise, no. I'm not paying money to get sick.

It costs too much to do this and the EPA has standards you must abide by in order to get a permit. The contractors that do it have to where personal protective equipment, etc. Even the disposal of it is regulated and costs a lot. Probably talking around $5000 or more.

Its only dangerous when it begins to flake but then the cost goes up even more to get rid of and good luck selling it like that. Also, they can "condemn" your house, if anyone finds about it like your neighbors, until it is fixed..

If you don't take care of it, have fun trying to sell your house later on, regardless. It makes the market value go way down because of the real and exaggerated risks involved.

The house you are looking at is probably in your price range only because of the lead paint, but wouldn't without it.

That's about all I know about it. I passed up a house will lead paint and another with asbestos, for those reasons above, even though they were great homes.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I would definitely factor in the cost of having it redone. Then compare the costs of that
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by 20Tigers
If the paint is still around from 1978 then it would probably be time to repaint anyway. If it had lead paint I would factor that into the price because when you need to repaint it will cost to take the necessary protection.

Also be wary of asbestos in older houses. Asbestos cladding is okay if it is in tact and sealed with paint but you have to be aware and also take that into account when discussing price because if you have to reclad it will cost extra to have the cladding properly disposed of etc. If there is any doubt get certification that it is clear of asbestos. Any other asbestos (insulation etc) then don't buy. The clean up is expensive and the airbourne dust is extremely harmful.

Very true, my house had an asbestos warning but the realtor took me downstairs and showed me one piece of asbestos insulation on one pipe. He convinced me that it was the only piece of asbestos. To sell the house, I have to also list it as having asbestos, or pay a crap load of money to have that one piece removed.

But the worst part is, now that i'm not as dumb as I was back then, I realize that the previous owner must have removed all of the other asbestos on the pipes himself, without the proper equipment and left that one piece, just to make it look like it wasn't so bad. But he had to leave that one piece because he didn't have the certifications to show it was removed properly/legally.

Every time I wash my clothes in the basement, I wonder now if i'm breathing in whatever was left behind from the previous owner.

So, be on the lookout for those kinds of scams too. Like, "yeah, its listed as lead paint, but just this one wall." If its one wall or one pipe, it used to be all of them.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Last edited by mystical_1 at Oct 31, 2013,
Wouldn't deter me but it would certainly be a major point in negotiating a lower price for the house.
Then the money I saved on buying the house would be used on redecorating and sealing in the lead to prevent it from causing harm.
Asking the pit, average age 16-17 years old - 90% living at home, advice about buying a house?

Classic
The average age, or the median at least, here is from 18 to 21.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Last edited by Cianyx at Oct 31, 2013,
Quote by Cianyx

Probably higher in this actual thread so far.
Quote by Cianyx

says.. you?
the pit has actually aged quite a bit
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.