I am notorious for reading signs on "notes" incorrectly especially on tabs, and I don't want practice with a mistake.

This might sound dumb, but I need to know what a certain articulation means. I have dozens of books that don't show it, cause they show actual music sheets above tabs so you know "timings" and how long notes are.

I learned of it while reading Sabbath and Dio tabs. From my reading, it is called a "tie". It looks like an upside down hammer, but it starts on one note but doesn't land on another, and range in size.

I just don't understand how you tie a note together, and don't understand the difference between adding one, and not adding one. I am guessing it is a cheap way to write a note on a tab without specifying what kind of note you are playing(ie full, quarter half etc).

The reason it is confusing to me, is the ones I have seen have bends with release, and even with vibrato also. But the tie is longer than the release spot, and when listening to songs, the notes sometimes lasts longer than where the tie ends?
A tie is simply adding the first note's duration to the tied note. For example, if you have an eighth note tied to another eighth note, you end up with 2 eighth notes, which is a quarter note. Ties are one way (though I'm not sure if it's the only way) to reach certain note durations, such as when you're trying to get something like a 5/16 (1/4 + 1/16) note.

Ties have actual durations. It's not a cop-out way to not have to specify the duration of the note.
Last edited by triface at Sep 29, 2013,
Interesting. I need to learn more about musical notation. Cause I think the musical notes themselves tell me, I think the connecting bars to the 16th notes would explain the timing.

I have found music in my hal leonard books that have a "tie" like sign, but it has upside down hammer and regular hammer from the note. The note shows up in musical sheet, but not the tab. I found a site that has the music sheet for it, but they actually put it in the tab as if your suppose to play that note.

If you go to the site, and go to the second page in the song, and at second to bottom, is a set of E and A notes being played on 2nd fret, I call them "2's". It doesn't show the tie, but it has some kind of "blank note" that shows up in the musical sheet and the tab. The 3rd to last "2's" don't show in my tab book, but is at end of the "tie" of the previous three "2's".

If you actually listen to the song, it is a very distinct rhythm that I just can't match correctly.

it is like dun da, da dun da, da da dun da.
Last edited by RyanStorm13 at Sep 29, 2013,
After more deliberation, I think what I am reading is that the "tie" is counted as a note, but a note that you don't exactly play.

Like the sound of the note played before, you hold it so the "tie note" can be "counted", even if you don't stoke the note with your pick, or it means nothing and is only used to help you stay on queue.

I was looking at much easier songs to play, like a simple Beatles song Yesterday, and I noticed that when you play, if your counting to play on queue, you "tap/count" right where ties end. I noticed they are used with "16th notes" and that the ties end right on one of the four counts (1, 2, 3, 4),
If you're going to read stuff with articulations and rhythms, why not just go ahead and learn to read staff? It's actually easier than reading tabs, and it conveys a lot more information about the music.
I know how to read a lot of it, but there are still a few things I don't know about them. I also can perform many guitar techniques but it never seems enough.

I actually decided last night after going through my books, that if I am going to continue to learn guitar, I need to study the musical sheets, and how to read them. Cause some of books I will never get unless I do.