has anybody bought this replacement neck or know anybody that makes ebonol replacement necks? the reviews for the mighty mite are kinda confusing with only a few reviews on the internet, some good some bad.
i have a mighty mite neck

love it
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
i read a couple of horrible reviews but a decent amount of good ones as well. some of the bad reviews had words such as "nightmare" "cracked fretboard" "sharp frets" in them. i don't see anybody else making ebonol replacement necks. i guess i could just return it if it is bad. i read a couple posts saying their boards can be hit or miss.
I've had both good and bad from mighty mite. When they're good they're great. When they're bad they're terrible.
in some cases the mighty mite necks with actual ebony are cheaper.

but yea, hit or miss.

musicians friend sells them, so if you got one you didn't like you could return it or just exchange it for another one.

been strongly considering one for my strat, especially when they do the $20 off.

they seem to always be out of stock of the birdseye with "ebony" board though. so i may just go rosewood, not that you care.
Well, I've only seen a sample size of one, but the one I saw was definitely something else dyed black. Pretty sure it was rosewood, but...it was hard to tell because it was dyed black
"Ebonol" is a synthetic material made from layers of black paper and a phenolic resin compressed under a buttload of pressure. It is very heavy, very dense, and most always pitch black. It is the same stuff that they make those black bowling balls at the bowling alley from. The first company to use it for fretboards (I believe) was Kramer, back in the 1970s when they were making guitars with aluminum necks and "tuning fork" headstocks. The stuff makes a pretty good fretboard, but as a synthetic material, it does add weight. It is supposed to be as strong as hell, and unlike ebony, it does not crack.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
that's what i was reading.

colin the one you saw was probably what they sell as being an "ebony" board.

also, just to rant, i really wish guitar manufacturers would offer a non-dyed ebony board. the ebony i have seen thats just raw looks so much better than dyed ebony.

there i feel better now, thanks for listening.
It definitely wasn't ebonol, I know what that looks like. I'm reasonably certain it was dyed rosewood.

Pieces of jet black ebony big enough for a fingerboard are rare. It would be hard to source large supplies of those. You'd have to either buy them already cut and selected or buy big chunks and throw away the cuts that weren't uniformly black. Both are really expensive. I think streaked ebony looks neat, but apparently the big guys don't agree, or don't think they could sell a board with it. They might be right.
I have two necks, a maple on maple and an ebony on maple.

Fretwork is average, each neck had one ever so slightly high fret.

The maple they use is good, but they use relatively decent ebony, surely not as nice as good as stuff used on something among the lines of an esp, but far better than the ebony I've seen on epiphone stuff. - yes the ebony is dyed, like most of the stuff on the market.

Musician's friend's specs are all wrong, the only necks that are ebonol are the fretless necks.
Gear:
ESP LTD MH-1000
ESP EDWARDS LP-92CD
Shchecter ATX Blackjack
Fender Deluxe Stratocaster (H-S-S)
Last edited by sehnomatic at Sep 30, 2013,
Quote by Roc8995
Pieces of jet black ebony big enough for a fingerboard are rare. It would be hard to source large supplies of those. You'd have to either buy them already cut and selected or buy big chunks and throw away the cuts that weren't uniformly black. Both are really expensive.

You can blame those keyboard players for that! A great deal of the really top-quality, jet black Gabon Ebony and Ceylon ebony wood is gobbled up by high-end piano makers for their black keys. What a waste of a great fretboard, if you ask me!

I've heard that it also goes to high-end orchestra stringed instruments: violins, violas, cellos, etc. The best stuff is now highly regulated, so a lot of what you see now is Macassar Ebony dyed black.
Yes, I'd think that most of it goes to string instruments. It isn't just the high end ones, either. All but the cheapest, crappiest string instruments have an undyed black fingerboard.
I thought piano keys were mostly painted, anyway. I guess I don't look too closely but I don't remember seeing much wood grain on the black keys on high-end pianos. A waste indeed if they're using ebony for that.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, I'd think that most of it goes to string instruments. It isn't just the high end ones, either. All but the cheapest, crappiest string instruments have an undyed black fingerboard.
I thought piano keys were mostly painted, anyway. I guess I don't look too closely but I don't remember seeing much wood grain on the black keys on high-end pianos. A waste indeed if they're using ebony for that.

Some of the lower-end pianos probably use something other than ebony and stain it black (if it is even wood), but the big boys - Steinway, Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Mason & Hamlin, etc. - use only genuine high-end ebony for those black keys. Not to mention the fact that in order to get the proper weight and feel, they probably end up sanding away a hell of a lot of material to get just one black key.

Bastards! Those are our fretboards they're destroying!
Quote by FatalGear41
Those are our fretboards they're destroying!

sorta like the assholes who were making entire pianos out of brazilian rosewood?

ebony for keys? pfft.

Last edited by gregs1020 at Oct 3, 2013,
Quote by sehnomatic
Musician's friend's specs are all wrong, the only necks that are ebonol are the fretless necks.

are you sure?
Quote by gregs1020
sorta like the assholes who were making entire pianos out of brazilian rosewood?

ebony for keys? pfft.

I thought it might be just a rosewood veneer, but then I saw it is a Steinway. Not a chance. It's meticulously crafted high-end rosewood; through-and-through.

I don't want to even THINK about what that masterpiece must have cost! And we guitarists complain about $6,000.00 Gibson Custom Shop Les Pauls!