Hi guys, i am new in forum. I' m sorry for my english. In topic, i want to buy my first electric guitar and i dont know about pickups etc. I want to learn on this guitar and i want to play metal music. Μore specifically I want a sound like dying fetus, gojira and other like them bands.Ι've seen allready the ESP LTD EC-401 Black. But i dont know what to buυ and I am looking for your advice. Thank you a lot!
Budget?
Location?
New/Used?
Whats your current amp? (But guessing you dont have one)

Fill those in and we can help more
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
^ yeah

offhand, though, the one you're looking at should work.

only slight concerns with les paul-shaped guitars being upper fret access isn't great, the shorter scale length isn't quite as tight-sounding as a 25.5" scale (which tends to be slightly better for metal, though it's not a hard and fast rule), and they can be heavyish. The LTD is a little thinner than a les paul (so shouldn't be just as heavy) and I think the upper fret access should be a little better on a les paul, but it's still worth bearing in mind.

but it's your money and your call. regarding the quality of the instrument, you could do an awful lot worse for your first guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 29, 2013,
Budget is around of 600 euros loc is greece and dont have amp, but some people suggest line 6. A guy told me to buy an ibanez on 300 euros and buy later 2 saymour duncan pickups or emg around 300 euros both pickups.
Dave_mc i didnt understand what you said about scale.Is this guitar ok to learn and to keep her (guitar) 5-6 years??
I was playing bass guitar and a little of classic guitar. I hope to answer your questions! So, please guys help me!
Peavey vyper 30 for a starter amp. Dont go line 6 amps. Thats just me though, never liked them.

the LTD you picked out is a nice guitar for sure. Used to have one myself. But for metal is go with a MHNT/H/F/M series. like Dave said, check the scale length.

Guessing you are going to be downtuning?

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Yes, i am going not in the start fot downtunning and maybe c# or dropped D. I didnt understan the MHNT/H/F/M series. Are these esp guitar series?
Thank you for helping!
The guitar you picked out should do well for Dropped D/C# tuning.
Yes the MHNT/H/F/M are the different kind of LTD guitar series. All very good to pick from but they were the ones with the 25.5 inch scale.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
I need an explanation about the significance of scale. What the difference between 27",25.5 and 24.75" ???
27" is normally the baritone scale
25.5" is normal scale (for me. Think super strats, fender strats, jacksons, ESP LTD)
24.75" is Gibson les paul scale. And i cant remember what else...

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
And what about pickups? Emg or saymour duncan are better for metal? i am confused about guitar and pickups!
Last edited by ThirstyForMetal at Sep 30, 2013,
^ Don't worry too much about pickups. If you get a LTD 400 series it'll already have good stock pickups.

EMGs are normally considered "better" for metal, but a lot of it is preference- and also (and this is important) EMGs work well with tube amps, they drive them a lot harder which gives you a good metal tone. However, with solid state or modelling amps (the amps you're looking at), this can sometimes actually have a detrimental effect, because the pickups can drive the amps too hard and cause solid state clipping, which tends to sound bad.

Quote by ThirstyForMetal
Budget is around of 600 euros loc is greece and dont have amp, (a) but some people suggest line 6. (b) A guy told me to buy an ibanez on 300 euros and buy later 2 saymour duncan pickups or emg around 300 euros both pickups.
(c) Dave_mc i didnt understand what you said about scale.Is this guitar ok to learn and to keep her (guitar) 5-6 years??

(a) a lot of people around here aren't so keen on the spiders. The peavey vypyr gets recommended a lot around here (but i haven't tried it). the higher wattage (30 watts and above) roland cubes are also pretty good for metal on a budget.

(b) normally i'd say that's not the best idea... normally a more expensive guitar is made better in addition to having the better pickups. if you upgrade a cheap guitar you just have a cheap guitar with good pickups, which normally isn't as good, and the resale value on it won't be as good if/when you decide to sell it.

Additionally, American pickups like duncans and EMGs are pretty expensive in Europe- you normally get far better value when you get them stock on a guitar.

Now- there are some exceptions to this rule, as there are to all rules. But as a general rule of thumb, it's fairly sound.

(c) Oh absolutely, it'll be a fine guitar. And to a certain extent it's preference.

Generally speaking, at the same tuning and using the same gauge of strings, a longer scale length leads to more tension in the strings, which gives you a tighter tone, which is often useful for metal playing. But it's not that you *can't* play metal with a shorter scale length (and plenty of pro players do), especially if you're staying in standard (E) tuning.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 30, 2013,
And what about ESP LTD H-351FR BLK ? Is good that emg85 is neck and 81 is bridge?? is it good for a rythm guitar?
Last edited by ThirstyForMetal at Sep 30, 2013,
if you aren't going to use a floyd rose, i'd probably get a hardtail guitar. that one only has a floyd rose special, too, which is down the range a bit for a floyd. there's a hardtail version of the 351 (with "NT" at the end of the model code).

pickups... pretty much preference. some people prefer the 81 in the bridge, some people prefer the 85.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Sep 30, 2013,
Dave gets things spot on.
Only thing id add would be to get a hardtail guitar. With it being your first guitar, Floyds tend to annoy people if they dont have the patience to learn how to look after them.

Pickup wise id personally go for EMG's over duncans for metal.

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?