I'm still looking for a pedal (opened a thread before) but it didn't result in a pedal yet. I feel like the pool of pedals I'm interested in is getting smaller and smaller so I am almost there yet!

I'm looking for a pedal to change my sound for example for a solo or for some improvisations over a backing track. I play over a Blackstar HT5R (home use). Although I'm not a big fan of a huge amount of distortion, the Blackstar does its job on the overdrive channel. I probably need a pedal for mainly my clean channel but works on the overdrive channel as well. The clean channel is kind of sharp of itself, probably a little too much to my likings. Edit: after a little more experimenting I'll get rid of the sharpness. Bottom line is that I want to change sound every now and then to increase variety.

I probably need either a booster or an overdrive peal. My amp is loud enough so I don't want to use the booster only to boost volume. I had my eye for example for a while on a TC Electronics Spark Booster which seems to be a really good option. The gain isn't too much and it really brightens up the sound. However, the local music stores don't provide them so I can't try them. Ordering online will be the way to go, but I want to be sure tho.

As said, the distortion channel does is its job so a distortion pedal is not what I am looking for. Any thoughts?

- Useful info: Fender 72 Telecaster Deluxe and PRS SE EG

Hopefully a HNPD will follow soon
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Oct 6, 2013,
when you say the clean channel is "kind of sharp of itself, probably a little too much to my likings.", do you mean it's too trebly/bright/harsh?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
when you say the clean channel is "kind of sharp of itself, probably a little too much to my likings.", do you mean it's too trebly/bright/harsh?

I mean shrill/strident and really direct, but especially at a higher volume
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Sep 29, 2013,
a boost isnt going to do you all that much good given that there really isnt anything to boost. I'd reccomend an EQ pedal. that sounds like what you need. you can use it to tame your clean channel and take down that ice picky-ness and round things off. and you can then go and use it for a drive if you want a little extra kick on the dirty channel.

otherwise maybe something like a vox ice 9? I had one for a while and enjoyed it. i liked the idea of having a "more" switch so that you can add a lead boost over the regular overdrive the pedal is giving you
MXR 10 band EQ.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Most EQ pedals have too many knobs or parameters that can be set it. I am looking for something more simple. Thanks tho guys!
+1 to the EQ pedal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
EQ pedals are simple. The sliders are different frequencies. It works the same way as your amp EQ but you just have more bands to tweak. And EQ is what you want. A booster and overdrive only really work on your distortion channel - I mean, you said you don't need your sound to be any louder (which is what booster does on clean channel) and that you are happy with your OD channel (and an OD pedal through a clean channel is going to give you another drive sound).

You said your clean channel sounds too sharp. An OD or booster isn't going to do anything to the clean sound (as I said, they will just make it louder/distort). And you wanted the pedal mainly for your clean sound so EQ is what you need (EQ can also be used as a booster).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
EQ pedals are simple. The sliders are different frequencies. It works the same way as your amp EQ but you just have more bands to tweak. And EQ is what you want. A booster and overdrive only really work on your distortion channel - I mean, you said you don't need your sound to be any louder (which is what booster does on clean channel) and that you are happy with your OD channel (and an OD pedal through a clean channel is going to give you another drive sound).

You said your clean channel sounds too sharp. An OD or booster isn't going to do anything to the clean sound (as I said, they will just make it louder/distort). And you wanted the pedal mainly for your clean sound so EQ is what you need (EQ can also be used as a booster).

Yeah but you can adjust volume with the Spark Booster for example. You can choose not to boost volume or either lower the volume. The clean channel gets sharp mostly on higher volumes. I didn't sort out all the options yet, so I might fix that on the amp itself.
get a good EQ and you can adjust the level/volume with that. A good EQ has a level/volume slider along with the EQ sliders.

Boss GE7 start at $39 used here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

But it sounds like you are out of headroom on your amp which a pedal can not fix
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Sep 30, 2013,
Quote by GuitarL91
Most EQ pedals have too many knobs or parameters that can be set it. I am looking for something more simple. Thanks tho guys!

Unfortunately the thing that's causing your woes is one of those parameters, namely the higher frequencies that are causing things to sound a bit ice picky. You need to tweak those frequencies so they're less prevalent and overwhelming. To do that you need something that gives you direct control over them. Which is an EQ pedal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hi guys. I've been spending some more time with my amp and I'll get rid of the sharpness. However, I'm still looking for the extra bite or sparkle to accentuate some parts of my guitar sound.
yeah +1 on an eq pedal

EDIT: ^ if it's too bright and you have to fight it to get rid of the brightness/edginess i'd avoid transparent-style overdrives.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I will bring my guitar to the store and play through the same amp as at home. Then I will try out some pedals .
yeah if they have your amp that's the way to go
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah if they have your amp that's the way to go

Yep, they do! I'm pretty convinced I prefer an overdrive over a EQ pedal now after reading some more and spending some more time with my amp. I will also check out how it responds to my volume control on my guitar etc. Keep you posted!
If you're using it as a boost, an OD is just going to make your clean channel a harsher and a lot more sensitive...

If you're using an OD as a standalone, well then you won't have a clean anymore.

I chuckled at how many posts recommend an EQ (what you actually need) and how you totally brushed them off.

If a band EQ is really too complicated, Earthquaker makes a cheapish parametric EQ. http://proguitarshop.com/earthquaker-devices-tone-job.html

I really wouldn't recommend one though. A band EQ is what'll do the job best.

I mean shit, just get a Danelectro Fish & Chips to try out. They cost virtually nothing, I got a used one for like $25 shipped. The extra $5-10 for a new one is like... whatever, if you want to go that route.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Sep 30, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
If you're using it as a boost, an OD is just going to make your clean channel a harsher and a lot more sensitive...

If you're using an OD as a standalone, well then you won't have a clean anymore.

I chuckled at how many posts recommend an EQ (what you actually need) and how you totally brushed them off.

If a band EQ is really too complicated, Earthquaker makes a cheapish parametric EQ. http://proguitarshop.com/earthquaker-devices-tone-job.html

I really wouldn't recommend one though. A band EQ is what'll do the job best.

I mean shit, just get a Danelectro Fish & Chips to try out. They cost virtually nothing, I got a used one for like $25 shipped. The extra $5-10 for a new one is like... whatever, if you want to go that route.

Yeah your point seems fair. However, most comments about the EQ were related to my comment about a shrill sound on my clean channel.
Your OP is very convoluted.

You just want a different sound for solo's?

Grab a wah, or a chorus, envelope filters, a delay perhaps?

Delay will only work with FX loop on drive channel.

Alternatively, learn to play more interesting guitar?

From all the big improvisers in the world 99% hardly do anything to change up the sound.

Actually most instruments can't even change sounds for that (Piano, Saxophone etc.) and they are one of the most common improvise/solo instruments.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Your OP is very convoluted.

You just want a different sound for solo's?

Grab a wah, or a chorus, envelope filters, a delay perhaps?

Delay will only work with FX loop on drive channel.

Alternatively, learn to play more interesting guitar?

From all the big improvisers in the world 99% hardly do anything to change up the sound.

Actually most instruments can't even change sounds for that (Piano, Saxophone etc.) and they are one of the most common improvise/solo instruments.

I want to give my clean channel a little more guts for some improvisation stuff, if that makes sense!
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Oct 1, 2013,
Quote by GuitarL91
I want to give my clean channel a little more guts for some improvisation stuff, if that makes sense!

Then you want an EQ, and OD pedal will add grit/dirt. An EQ will add to the body/fullness of the sound and keep it clean
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Or possibly a compresser to give things a bit more zip, or just stick something like a chorus or delay in there to simply make the sound more interesting.

An overdrive is going to stop the clean channel sounding like a clean channel so I doubt that's going to be what you need.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Robbgnarly
Then you want an EQ, and OD pedal will add grit/dirt. An EQ will add to the body/fullness of the sound and keep it clean

Well I want a little bit of dirt. To give you a good idea: someone in the house owns an Okko Diablo (plus version) and is able to deliver what I am after. I'm looking for a similar pedal like that.
Wow, today I tried the Okko Diablo (plus version) of my dad with my amp. It is definetely better than the overdrive channel of my Blackstar. It really brings the amp alive. I will go to the music store tomorrow, but I will look for something similar to the Okko Diablo!!
I have a preamp/booster/buffer called a "Nobels PRE-1", I believe it's Chinese made but it sounds really nice, it's 3 knobs (Treble, Bass, Level). I paid $15 for it on Ebay. It's a tie for my favorite pedal on my board, alongside my old USA Peavey Tape Echo and my Guyatone Fuzz.
So you want a better drive channel/sound?

I feel like being trolled or something.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by GuitarL91
Wow, today I tried the Okko Diablo (plus version) of my dad with my amp. It is definetely better than the overdrive channel of my Blackstar. It really brings the amp alive. I will go to the music store tomorrow, but I will look for something similar to the Okko Diablo!!

So... what you're saying is... what you really need is a new amp.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
And we have a winner! Short story: Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive

Longer Story:
First I went to the a music store where they didn't have Blackstar amps. I ended up playing over a H&K Tubemeister 18 (I think), but I really couldn't get along with the amp. A whole TC Electronics pedalboard (10 pedals) was installed so first of all I tried the Spark Booster. It added a lot of treble/highs, but I couldn't find the good set ups to make it a buy for me so I scratched that one from the list. Because A MojoMojo was set up on the board as well, I tried that one. I liked it better than the SB, but it wasn't what I was looking for. At least I knew that I had to focus more on overdrive pedals now. We plugged in a Maxon OD808 and an OCD Fulltone but they didn't do what I was looking for. It's likely that my experience isn't totally reliable because I couldn't get along that well with the amp and I am sure that they might be great pedals, but they were not for me.

After that we went to the music store I always go to; we went to the other one because of the SB. I knew that they had my amp over there so a better opinion could be formed. We decided to pick up the Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet and again the OCD Fulltone to start with. First we plugged in the Mad Professor. My father played a view notes and we looked at each other and we joked: "well, it looks like the search just ended, this is the winner". We kept playing and we really liked it but we wanted to give the other 2 pedals an honest chance as well. We decided to plug in the OCD Fulltone and both of us liked the SHOD more. The Fulltone way more gain and the SHOD was smoother to listen too. Then the OCD Fulldrive 2 Mosfet followed and we were pretty impressed. The Fulldrive had the boost option and a little more options sound wise. We switched continuously between the SHOD and the FF2M and concluded that the SHOD was the pedal for me. We were that happy that we didn't try any other pedals anymore.

How does it sound?

I honestly think they couldn't come up with a better name for this pedal; it is exactly how it sounds.
The SHOD colors your sound a little bit, it isn't totally transparent. It is a really subtile overdrive, it can't get too dirty and the options of sound are a bit limited. However, what the pedal does, does it extremely well! It adds a little light brown sugary layer over your sound and isn't as direct. The tones are really smooth and far from harsh which makes it so lovely to listen too. There are tons of reviews out there that are worth checking out.

This pedal was probably the best pedal for me right now. Already from the first notes I really liked it and nothing could beat it after that. Before finishing this message, I thank you all for your help. It's always nice to hear your opinions and suggestions and they helped me a lot, what resulted in my new pedal. Cheers to that guys, now I'm gonna plug in and play!

Edit: you guys want a NPD-topic ?
Last edited by GuitarL91 at Oct 6, 2013,