Hello, I was wondering, is there really that big of difference between the E-EX 110D and Snakebyte (Other than looks)? Is the blackouts comparable to the JH set in anyway?

I plan on buying a new guitar, and have one of these two set in my eyes. I know the Edwards will be of higher quality, as it is made in the ESP Japan Custom shop, but, im not so sure on the tonal differences. Are the Blackouts and JH set anywhere close tone wise? Would the blackouts produce a nice Metallica like tone? If so, I am going to choose the E-EX, but, I have yet to see any comparisons of those pickups, and with the E-EX 110D.

Thanks.
I would buy the LTD because it has a better finish and EMGs and also a ebony fingerboard. All higher end LTDs play as well as any guitar can play. I own a LTD AX 400, I can lower the action almost right onto the frets and the guitar won't buzz and sustains all day long.
Last edited by kingking22 at Sep 29, 2013,
Edwards.

Ive got a LTD MH400NT and my friends got an Edwards explorer.
I love both to bits but the Edwards just takes it.

EDIT: Its actually the Edwards you want to buy ive played. I do enjoy it a bit more.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Last edited by Carrot at Sep 29, 2013,
Quote by Carrot
Edwards.

Ive got a LTD MH400NT and my friends got an Edwards explorer.
I love both to bits but the Edwards just takes it.

EDIT: Its actually the Edwards you want to buy ive played. I do enjoy it a bit more.

Thanks, I was leaning towards the Edwards, but I just have not seen that much information/videos on it. Yes, I have seen some russians play it, but not the style of music I would like to be playing.
Is the edwards made in the ESP custom shop? I know at least some of the edwards models are started off in china and are only finished in japan. so that's worth bearing in mind. That being said, the (very few) edwardses I've tried I'd have said were slightly nicer than the (again, very few) LTDs I've tried, so
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
LTD Elite is a rebranded ESP Edwards without the lawsuit shapes (V, ex, lp) for sale in the north american market.

I've owned both and I heavily favor Edwards.
???
Quote by Dave_Mc
Is the edwards made in the ESP custom shop? I know at least some of the edwards models are started off in china and are only finished in japan. so that's worth bearing in mind. That being said, the (very few) edwardses I've tried I'd have said were slightly nicer than the (again, very few) LTDs I've tried, so

Im not sure if they ALL are made in the custom shop, but, I have heard it in many places, and I think Rob Chapman said it to... or that might have been GuitarGearGuy.
just be careful who you listen to. people who are trying to sell them to you often play fast and loose with the truth.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
just be careful who you listen to. people who are trying to sell them to you often play fast and loose with the truth.

I see what you did there (Your Description)
edwards are basically the same thing as the LTD ELITE line of ESP guitars. they are in that gap that is between high end LTD guitars and ESP guitars. the parts are crafted in china(supervised by an ESP person) and the guitars themselves are put together at ESP shop.

I suppose the main difference between the 2 guitars would be the shape and the paint job(which would be better on the edwards). Ive never really had problems with frets on LTDs and the action was always very moddable. I suppose the edwards would have more attention to detail, cant really say since Ive never played one.

blackouts and EMGs are very similar, though its been said before that the JH set is better than regular EMGs. you can definitely get a metallica sound with blackouts, but just as with any EMGs, that would depend alot on your amp and settings.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Get the zack Wylde Emg pick ups. Pretty Awesome for metal. I have them in my guitar and it makes my ltd fm-401 scream out through my peavey jsx.
Marty Friedman+Jason Becker=Cacophony
i thought the Edwards made in the ESP custom shop were called Navigators.

that said, i'm an Edwards fan.
Quote by gregs1020
i thought the Edwards made in the ESP custom shop were called Navigators.

From what I know, The Navigator series is the best quality, most expensive guitars ESP makes (Other than custom shop), and mainly is comprised of Gibson and Fender Replicas (Albeit upwards of $5000)
oh i got you. thanks.

do they still make the 480 or is it only the 560 now?

nevermind, it's not what you want anyway.

Quote by Masoo2
I see what you did there (Your Description)

oh yeah i mean obviously don't take what i'm saying as gospel truth either you should investigate all this stuff yourself as best as you can and then make your own mind up.

Quote by bustapr
edwards are basically the same thing as the LTD ELITE line of ESP guitars. they are in that gap that is between high end LTD guitars and ESP guitars. the parts are crafted in china(supervised by an ESP person) and the guitars themselves are put together at ESP shop.

if that is true (it sounds like it could be but i haven't corroborated it), that does make the ltd elites sound very expensive. At least here in Europe.

Quote by gregs1020

yeah mine's very nice- I'm still miffed I bought it thinking it was totally MIJ, but it's a nice guitar for sure, and plays really nicely.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
LTD Elites go for around $1400-$1500 new here in USA.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah mine's very nice- I'm still miffed I bought it thinking it was totally MIJ, but it's a nice guitar for sure, and plays really nicely.

i've been digging around this issue since you clued me on to it a year or so ago.

if what i've heard, read and gotten back from PMs to the really way too into MIJ (yes even more fanatical than me lol) guys the plant in china is run by ESP supervisors from japan. the finish and electronics installation and final set ups are done at ESP in japan.

i mean, if esp japan is QC'ing these guitars, i really don't have a problem with where some of the wood was CNC'd, sanded and glued. i really don't care, final product is my highest concern really.

the earlier "white logo" edwards guitars from the late 80s early 90s were all MIJ and still sell for lower prices on the used market. some people call those "navs with poly" because essentially that's what the line they came off of makes now. so they were essentially early navigators. but that hasn't made them any more valuable on the used market than a later built edwards.

seems headstock script is just as important to the japanese.
^ Yeah

and yeah from what i've heard the early edwardses were MIJ

I agree with you- I just don't like feeling like I was sold something under false pretences. I find it hard to shake that feeling, that's just me of course, but there you go.

I also felt, from the start (i.e. before I knew it wasn't 100% MIJ), that it didn't have quite the mojo of some of the genuinely-MIJ guitars I'd tried.

But still a very nice guitar for what I paid, of course.

Quote by bustapr

they're not much less than that here in £. Considering I paid ~£400-£500 for my edwards (IIRC), that's pretty darn expensive, if you ask me.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by bustapr

Seeing that they seem to be "The Edwards of the US", they are going pretty expensive. I could probably buy 2 Edwards LP's for the price of an M-II Elite, or an Alexi Signature with the correct body shape and MM-04.
???
Last edited by solidrane at Sep 30, 2013,
Quote by gregs1020
have you considered buying direct from japan?

The thing is I dont know any way to. If I knew how, I would, as there are many other models I could choose from that I have never seen online for a reasonable price (Edwards E-SN-120, Edwards version of the KH-3, etc.. )

EDIT: There is no edwards KH-3 ;_;
Last edited by Masoo2 at Oct 1, 2013,
A lot of sites like ishibashi's prices for japanese market guitars are ever so slightly inflated. I've heard stories of ESP dealers able to obtain some edwards if multiple people want them.

Dealers don't advertise "we can get edwards" because of the whole les paul/lawsuit shape thing going on. But some dealers can get them if in demand but won't advertise.

Dealers always order guitars from the manufacturers in big batches, not individual models (unless it's a one-off custom)

Lets say this:

ESP Dealer XYZ, orders 60 ESP standards every 3 months, they all sell, obviously they're in demand and are worth importing.

Customer asks Dealer XYZ if they can get an edwards, but only 3 customers have asked in the past 3 months and it's not worth it to import (like many companies ESP won't send them out to the dealer unless you demand them in batches.)

Now, if Dealer XYZ gets 30 or so customers asking AND maybe 15 of them put down a $90 deposit. Dealer XYZ will likely order them in their next shipment.

---
Dealers CAN get them, edwards/navigator isn't in big demand because people don't know about them because... gibson likes to shove companies out of the country.

The reason why LTD elite isn't advertised on the esp UK site is that access to edwards is relatively easy in europe.

If it isn't clear, apologies friend - im tired.
???
Last edited by solidrane at Oct 1, 2013,
Quote by solidrane
A lot of sites like ishibashi's prices for japanese market guitars are ever so slightly inflated. I've heard stories of ESP dealers able to obtain some edwards if multiple people want them.

Dealers don't advertise "we can get edwards" because of the whole les paul/lawsuit shape thing going on. But some dealers can get them if in demand but won't advertise.

Dealers always order guitars from the manufacturers in big batches, not individual models (unless it's a one-off custom)

Lets say this:

ESP Dealer XYZ, orders 60 ESP standards every 3 months, they all sell, obviously they're in demand and are worth importing.

Customer asks Dealer XYZ if they can get an edwards, but only 3 customers have asked in the past 3 months and it's not worth it to import (like many companies ESP won't send them out to the dealer unless you demand them in batches.)

Now, if Dealer XYZ gets 30 or so customers asking AND maybe 15 of them put down a $90 deposit. Dealer XYZ will likely order them in their next shipment.

---
Dealers CAN get them, edwards/navigator isn't in big demand because people don't know about them because... gibson likes to shove companies out of the country.

The reason why LTD elite isn't advertised on the esp UK site is that access to edwards is relatively easy in europe.

If it isn't clear, apologies friend - im tired.

I understood it, that at least answers my question about why the UK site dosent have LTD Elite. (Which I never asked )
Hrm, well I just noticed something: Gearhounds has an Edwards section now (albeit no products, but still), I wonder what that means
Quote by Masoo2
Hrm, well I just noticed something: Gearhounds has an Edwards section now (albeit no products, but still), I wonder what that means

for auctions i use jauce. i think they can also buy from a store and send it to you.

some stores in japan ship direct so you wouldn't need them.

you can use digimart.net to search stores.

here's some 500 assorted ESP/LTD/Edwards/Navigator guitars.

https://www.jauce.com/category-leaf/2084019022

happy hunting.
Quote by solidrane
LTD Elite is a rebranded ESP Edwards without the lawsuit shapes (V, ex, lp) for sale in the north american market.

What lawsuit are you talking about?
Quote by dspellman
What lawsuit are you talking about?

Well, I know a few: In the 80's with the rise of thrash metal, explorers were becoming popular, but many people did not like the standard specs on Gibson Explorers. (Most popular the 1984 explorer) Companies like ESP decided to make their own 84 explorer copies, but with "Metal" specs (EMG's, simplified controls, different woods, etc.), and they gained popularity over night. This was making Gibson's profit fall, so, they decided to go after the most popular of these companies: ESP. This lawsuit made ESP not produce a Gibson shaped (84, 58, etc.) explorer (MX, EXP, etc.) in America. So, ESP was forced to make the EX series, which, did not gain as much popularity. Though, in Japan, the Custom Shop, Edwards, Navigator, and I think Grassroots still produce Gibson Explorer copies.

I think on the V and LP it was just patents.