Page 1 of 2
Anyone heard of this being done? It seems like it could really advance them quick. Small kids learn shit quick, yo. What's the point of using dumb and even incorrect english that they're sure to pick up when you could not do that and probably make them much smarter? If we didn't treat them like complete idiots they would probably spend a lot less time being ones.

Idk I just thought of this and thought it was interesting.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
There have been many studies on this
Tone of voice does a lot to help babies learn exactly what you're saying. This tone of voice is usually considered baby talk, because people usually don't shit-talk babies, hence the overly friendly and ridiculous ups and downs in the pitch of people's voices.
I think it's for the best, to be honest, but to talk in a way that doesn't treat the baby like an idiot. I honestly talk with many different pitches in my voice all the time, so I'd just talk normally to a baby.
I agree however that some people take it too far and thus dumb kid
This thread is gonna be so dumb since the majority of the Pit has no idea how to interact with children.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I always talk to babies like anyone else. Not for any reason other than I hate baby talk.
Quote by WCPhils
This thread is gonna be so dumb since the majority of the Pit has no idea how to interact with children.

+all
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by WCPhils

Agree.

This is me interacting with children.

With toddlers and shit I talk to them normally but with babies a kinda make my voice lighter and softer since it's deep and will probably scare the shit out of them.
I've read that it's fine to talk in baby talk up to a certain point, but then when the switch to looking at mouths instead of eyes, (few months?) then you should talk normally.

Could be wrong though.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
My son is 3 next month and I still sometimes use an unnaturally multi-tonal voice when I'm trying to get him to engage with something.
But I've never really dumbed down my vocabulary too much - apart from when teaching him how to speak (by using the simplest name for an object at first encounter). I certainly talk to my partner with standard adult language around him and he's always been really good with words for his age, so I imagine that has helped somewhat.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
Agree.

Thread winner!

I talk to my daughter (7 months old) normally and and always have. She's at the age now where she is actually watching your mouth when you talk to her so I figure it's important to show her how it's done.
Quote by Johnny_Ibanez
Agree.

Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by WCPhils
This thread is gonna be so dumb since the majority of the Pit has no idea how to interact with are children.

Ftfy.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

I do, and the babbies seem to love me for it. I'll ask them questions and interpret their babbling or facial expressions as responses to carry on 'conversation'. It's a bit odd, but I'm the go-to babysitter for relatives with babies because it seems to work.
My signature lacks content. It is, however, blue.
Quote by supersac
i do this
ive actually had people ask me whats wrogn with me just cause i talked to a child like an adult

i've often felt like asking people what's wrong with them when they do the baby talk
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Yeah so I'm gonna talk to my kid like he's a scholar then
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by WCPhils

yah tell me about it
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
yah tell me about it

yeah you're the exception
you're smooth
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by WCPhils

No, I avoid it at all costs because I feel really (and I do mean to a ridiculous extreme) uncomfortable around children.

... So... yeah, you're basically right.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
this is dumb there is nothing wrong with talking to babies in baby talk. I mean, my mom STILL talks to me in baby talk most of the time and it's not like I'm any dumber for it.
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Sep 30, 2013,
Quote by guitarxo
this is dumb there is nothing wrong with talking to babies in baby talk. I mean, my mom STILL talks to me in baby talk most of the time and it's not like I'm any dumber for it.

I talk to babies like I talk to anyone, minus cuss words.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
But it's great to curse at babies because they have no idea what you're saying. As long as you say, "**** you, you little puke machine," in a nice tone of voice, they'll ****ing eat that shit up.
I feel like talking to babies like they're adults sets a bad example because it shows them it's ok to look like an idiot.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by guitarxo

Oh boy
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
The number one rule for dealing with kids (or any human being for that matter): take them seriously.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I had MTV on and "Teen Mom 2" was on. Yeah, I know...

anyway to the point. The mother was just told she had to move out of her house a few weeks after moving in. This upset her quite a bit. She was in the car driving talking to her friend in the care with her and then on the phone to her dad. Then her daughter says "Mommy are you sad?"
And the mother, while crying, says "No baby, momma's not sad."
So the kids says "Then stop crying."
The mother says "I'm not crying."
The kids says "Then stop crying, then stop crying, stop crying momma."
And the mother says "I'm not cyring baby." As she wipes tears from her eyes.

**** that shit pissed me off. Why are you lying to your toddler? Tell her the truth. She knows you're upset all you're doing is confusing her. Just tell her you're sad and why you're sad but reassure her that it will be okay.

Yeah people often don't know how to talk to kids. You got to talk to them all the time. Teach them shit and DO shit with them.
Si
"Babby whisperer" experts in the Pit

Now i've seen everything.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by Johnny_Ibanez

god I hate these gifs hahaha.

But yeah seriously most kids figure out basic speech and grammar on their own. The ones who don't are unable to do so because of developmental delays. Baby talk isn't bad for babies. It's just like when people change their accent depending on who they're talking to because it makes it easier for everyone to understand.

If you're talking about giving your child an advantage, reading to them and teaching them simple words is the way to go, but it isn't necessary in order for them to acquire language.

However, you retain the right to find it annoying
cat
Quote by WCPhils

When my nephew, currently 5, was a baby, I told him he was going to die with a straight dead-pan face and voice.

He started crying.

I just walked away, because you're correct. I had no idea what to do.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Its about what we say, not how we say it.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by SunshineMusicO
There have been many studies on this
Tone of voice does a lot to help babies learn exactly what you're saying. This tone of voice is usually considered baby talk, because people usually don't shit-talk babies, hence the overly friendly and ridiculous ups and downs in the pitch of people's voices.

this. it teaches them the way the language works and engages them by being expressive

we learn everything through lab-pristine, exaggerated examples, and language is no different

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I talk to my nephew (few months old) like I talk to my dog. He doesn't know what on earth I'm saying but he responds very well to facial expressions. If you frown or make a crying face at him, he becomes upset but if you smile right away he lightens up. It's the funniest thing.

I think I'm making my nephew crazy.
Quote by Jackal58
Nothing is stranger than being anonymous.
I'm really awkward around kids. Like, friends will show me their sons or nieces or whatever and be like "aww lukit de lickle baby isn't he cute oh yes he is" and I'll just look at the baby and be like "...sup".
🙈 🙉 🙊
Page 1 of 2