When I was a teenager in the 90's my dad bought me a strat copy and I was really keen to learn. I soon gave up after trying to learn from books and friends who had very limited skills. I got as far as a Nirvana riff. Recently I wanted to learn again so I bought a few guitars and was amazed by all the resources available. YouTube must have millions of tutorials on showing every riff made. A lot of the video's are really good as well and the best thing is........... They are all free!

I think nowadays with YouTube it easy to learn how to play your favourite riffs, providing you put the time in. I was going to take some lessons, but I don't see the need now.
Quote by West Riding
I was going to take some lessons, but I don't see the need now.

If you can afford it then it's always worth finding a good teacher; a teacher will be able to direct you more, will be able to correct mistakes you're making, will be able to find a way to explain things you don't understand very easily.

Every guitarist I know who's worth anything always says that when they have the time and money they take lessons from a good teacher.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Every guitarist I know who's worth anything always says that when they have the time and money they take lessons from a good teacher.

I absolutely agree. Youtube is amazing but it is one-way. Apart from the obvious benefits of having a guitar teacher identify and correct your flaws, they give you direction and motivation ... or they should!
I started playing in the mid-70s, and there was very little available. No internet, no YouTube, no DVDs....
You either took lessons, got instruction books, or copped licks off your friend.
I used both the latter methods. Most of my friends played, so I did a lot of time-honored finger-watching.
The Reverend Gary Davis had a whole crowd of young would-be folk musicians following him around to copy licks....
I was also good at extracting information from books.... The library had dozens.
Also, early on, I started subscribing to Guitar Player magazine. Great source.

Now, hell, you can sit in front of your computer and get everything you need.
When I started it was the 80s. I was shown the basic major & minor chords, then everything I learnt I figured out myself, using just the power of my ears.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I wouldn't neccesarily say learning has got any easier, in that the requirements for practice and hard work are remain the same as they always have been.

However it's certainly more accessible, all the resources you could ever need are freely available should you care to do a bit of digging. Whether or not you're able to arrange them all into some sort of coherent plan for learning very much comes down to personality and attitude.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I started before internet and used to buy magazines and take lessons from the best I could find. I ended up with a lot of bad advise and bad technique. I pretty much stopped until I was watching youtube about 5 years ago and realized I could learn properly now for free and I finally had the time to dedicate. Now I'm better than I ever thought I'd be, this forum has taught me so much also, mostly technique and gear and setup.
Quote by steven seagull
I wouldn't neccesarily say learning has got any easier, in that the requirements for practice and hard work are remain the same as they always have been.

However it's certainly more accessible, all the resources you could ever need are freely available should you care to do a bit of digging. Whether or not you're able to arrange them all into some sort of coherent plan for learning very much comes down to personality and attitude.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It is hard work but watching master of their crafts like paul gilbert upclose on youtube really helps developing technique cant believe how much harder that must have been without the internet.
yeah trying to do that before the internet normally resulted in a restraining order
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ibzshredder
It is hard work but watching master of their crafts like paul gilbert upclose on youtube really helps developing technique cant believe how much harder that must have been without the internet.

Back in the day, people weren't ridiculously lazy like they are now.

If you wanted to play guitar, you played guitar all day because you didn't have things like internet/video games/text messaging/bullshit to distract you. If you got bored, you picked up your guitar because what else was there to do, really?
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
aw come on, not this BS again about how everyone in the olden days was better.

most people in the olden days, if they had any sense, anyway, would've given their right arm for the kind of technology we have nowadays.

plus if you were only not lazy because you had nothing to distract you, you can hardly claim that's your fault. in fact younger people who still practise now even with things to distract them are arguably better, in that case.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think Sleaze does have a point of sorts, it's just slightly wide of the mark. I wouldn't say people are necessarily lazier but there's a definite sense of entitlement amongst young people, and adults for that matter, that didn't used to be as prevalent. People want things, be they skills or material posessions, but aren't as prepared to work for them as they used to be. Instead they somehow feel the simple fact they want something should be enough for them to deserve to have it. That's not a guitarist thing, that's modern society as a whole.

Certainly with guitar playing there's an element of Guitar Hero generation who want instant gratification and a pat on the back every 5 minutes - I think that game gives people unrealistic expectations of how much work and how long it takes to learn to play the guitar. We see it all the time on the forums with stuff like "I've been playing for 3 months, why can't I play Technical Difficulties". So yeah, I'm not sure if people are exactly lazier but patience and humility are both dying arts.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
"I've been playing for 3 months, why can't I play Technical Difficulties"

I have been playing for 10 years and I can't play it up to speed, i suck :/

On topic:

While it might be true that newer generations have much more distraction, they also have much more resources to learn faster. When I started playing I also had all distractions kids have these days but it didn't stop me to play 4-5 hours a day. Getting a job is when it all went downhill though :p.
I disagree, mark.

the ancient egyptians were complaining about the youth of their day, ffs.

extrapolate that out, and if it is true (which I'd dispute), how much must we suck?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Pros:Easier access to information(and loads of it too).Cons:Instant gratification attitude(if i cant learn it...yesterday i move on to something else) and harder time to actually search to that sea of info to find and organize what you need the most...usually the first factor-instant gratification- causes trouble to the second and vice versa.

Bottom line:Only the access to information is easier....you still have to do the same amount of work if you want to get somewhere .
Biggest drawback is too much misinformation on theory & applications and reliance on tabs. If you have the right idea how theory works and is applied, then it becomes relevant. Some people want to shred right away and stay busy learning tabs which hurts you because your technique gets sloppy with bad habits and you rely on your eyes rather than ears. The lick library dvds are the best private instruction for self-study because you can rely on your ears more, expand your tonal memory, and if you have trouble finding the right notes or you want to emulate that technique, then a good "cheat sheet". Watch, listen and learn. Ever watch a foreign film and it's annoying at first but then you start reading the text, then the speech goes to the background. Your mind seems concentrate on ears or eyes. With music, you can use both for learning, but better to rely and develop the ear for guitar.
Last edited by sweetdude3000 at Oct 1, 2013,
the information is easier than ever to get a hold of. The distractions are more difficult than ever.
Quote by Blicer
the information is easier than ever to get a hold of. The distractions are more difficult than ever.

They're really not, they're just louder. The people who actually want to learn will do as much about doing so as they ever would have.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would wouldn't say it's easier, but more resources are available. Although the one thing that I find a computer making life a lot easier is using midi guitar tab software to play things in time.

Once I learned basic theory about chords and scale tones, I pretty much learned by picking up my guitar and playing made up chords and solos I liked. I learned the blues from listening to lightnin hopkins and hitting notes that went with the songs.
Last edited by JunkieDreams at Oct 4, 2013,
you could learn guitar while you are in the virtual world.....but you need to have proper guidelines to get prepared.....more over you need a good source of true and useful 'music sheet' online.....try this website below...and you will find lots of sheet music there....best of luck on your learning....