Hi, I've got a Marshall DSL401 and a Gibson SG standard, the sound is great but a little bit thin on some lead parts. I've never been much of an effects guy but what kind of pedal/s could give me a bit more thickness while still retaining clarity and punch ands without colouring my tone too much? Thinking of Angus' tone on the Back in Black album - loads of punch, not overpowering, and not tinny or too trebly. I haven't got the money for a new amp but I've got about £150 budget for some pedals Before people say about just changing the setting on my amp, the reason I can't just do that is because I've found a great rhythm sound and I only really want somethign to just get that bit extra fatness for solos
Thanks in advance
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Last edited by hardrockerdave9 at Sep 30, 2013,
I know a lot of guys who throw on a Maxon od808 or Ibanez TS9
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
The Ibanez TS9 on a low boost will thicken it for solos. Test out a few other overdrives. Some players will throw on a slight chorus or phaser effect.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Some sort of overdrive/boost pedal should do the trick. Sounds like you want a Tubescreamer type of pedal. Could also look into getting an EQ pedal as well.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Going against your one rule, i'd say turn down the gain and volume up. 9/10 times guitar players use to much gain cuz alone it sounds awesome but a 'cleaner' tone will be bigger and fatter.
A good overdrive would help a bit, but the way to go is a good compressor and and a BBE Sonic Maximiser. The rack versions of the Sonic Maximiser seem to work a bit better and have more options, but the pedal version is pretty great too.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
What you have to consider about the tone angus had on that album is that it sounds that way because of the way it sits in the mix. His tone probably had a lot more treble and presence than you can perceive based on what they put around it. A lot of tones that sound perfect without a band would lead to you getting lost in the mix or sounding just flat out bad, and on the flipside a perfect live tone might sound like trash without a band around it. So my question is do you want this tone for bedroom use or gigging use? Assuming its for bedroom use, getting a tubescreamer like everyone else said might just be perfect. If you can, bring your amp to guitar center with your guitar and try out a bunch of different pedals and see how they affect your tone, and fiddle with the knobs on them and stuff. If you want the tone for live use, the pedal would also likely be useful, but be mindful about getting lost in the mix if you don't have enough treble and presence(or mids)
Do you want fatter or bigger?

More gain will result in a thick tone, but not big.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
digitech bad monkey- TS-style pedal which also has a bass control (so you can thicken up the bass, too). Use it as a boost. £25-£30 new. No point in spending any more on a "better" ("better" is debatable ) tubescreamer-style pedal until you see if it actually will do what you want.

Also, what speaker(s) are you using?

Also, for angus tones, more volume and less gain (more power tube distortion in other words) will also likely help, if you are in a situation where you can get the volume up a bit.

^ I'm not sure there's much point in having to change how he plays when a cheap od pedal will likely get him there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
build or buy a Dallas Rangemaster clone.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Well Angus's tone was his guitar direct into a cranked Marshall without any effects, I think they were one of the few bands that plugged directly in, so to replicate this sound you have to crank the volume and back off the gain till it's at the right level. If this is not possible to do because you are in a room or something I would suggest investing in a nice OD pedal and utilizing the clean side of your amp. A TS9 or TS808 variant would be nice, I personally use a Jekyll and Hyde which is a TS808 variant and it's delicious. If you want to go all out you can get a boutique-ish pedal like a Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret mk.III which is designed to sound like that era of amp.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
An EQ pedal or an overdrive pedal for boost would help. If you're going to buy overdrive pedal, just get some cheaper version of a tubescreamer as dave_mc has already said.
Quote by stonyman65
A good overdrive would help a bit, but the way to go is a good compressor and and a BBE Sonic Maximiser. The rack versions of the Sonic Maximiser seem to work a bit better and have more options, but the pedal version is pretty great too.

X2 on the BBE Sonic maximeser !! .... everything seems to sound way better with it , I even know singers that use it for vocals , not sure how that darned thing works but it does ....

I also use a Gain Changer with built in EQ along with the BBE Sonci Maximiser , you can get pretty much what you want with it
Part of Angus's tone these days is the subtle compression that is a result of his wireless guitar rig...
Quote by Fumble fingers
X2 on the BBE Sonic maximeser !! .... everything seems to sound way better with it , I even know singers that use it for vocals , not sure how that darned thing works but it does ....

I also use a Gain Changer with built in EQ along with the BBE Sonci Maximiser , you can get pretty much what you want with it

What it does (at least the way it was explained to me) is the it allows you to increase the presence and resonance of the signal without messing with the midrange, so the result it that you have a similar tone, but it just sounds bigger/brighter depending on how you EQ it.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I like sonic Maximizers for PA use, I don't like them for guitar very much
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you don't have an EQ. get an EQ.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Robbgnarly
I like sonic Maximizers for PA use, I don't like them for guitar very much

You know, I've heard that both ways lots of times before. People either love it or hate it.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
First, find a tone that is thick enough for you soloing on your bridge pickup. As has been said, I'd probably gain down a bit for the sake of higher master volume. More power amp volume = thicker tone.

Next, try running the volume and tone at about 8 or 9 or on your neck pickup for rhythm work, then switching to your bridge pickup at full volume and tone levels for soloing. I just switched to doing this on my AC30 and it works like a charm.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I don't know if anyone has suggested this, but Angus uses hard dynamics when he solos. He hits his strings hard and dynamics play a big part in getting that kind of sound.
Quote by Offworld92
If you don't have an EQ. get an EQ.

Not a bad start. Look at the 10-band MXR or the GE-7 Equalizer from BOSS. There are two GE7s -- one is the bass equalizer and it actually has a wider spread of frequencies (bass players tend to work over a broader spectrum than guitar players, believe it or not), and I prefer it. The standard guitar version is below:

There are two sources for the AC/DC sound -- one is Malcolm Young, playing with relatively low gain and a single coil bridge pickup. Angus has a somewhat higher gain setting, but overall he's NOT running a lot of gain. If you're using a lot, dial it in half and then start taking it down a bit.

You might try running something like a Wampler Pinnacle http://www.wamplerpedals.com/aiab/pinnacle.html or for more, the Plextortion http://www.wamplerpedals.com/aiab/plextortion.html . These are like having an amp in a box.

Here's another trick for solos -- I've been using a Chandler Tone-X. Rather than having an unused tone knob (seriously, are you doing anything but diming the things?), install the Chandler Tone-X. It's a sweepable active mids boost on a push-pull. The boost is about 16 dB. Think of it as a "parked wah." You can set it where you like it, push to de-activate and then pull when it's time for the solo stuff. http://www.chandlerguitars.com/electronics.html

Last edited by dspellman at Oct 1, 2013,