Hi everyone! I'm looking to get me an electric guitar with...

1. 'Meaty tone' (Humbuckers?)
2. Whammy bar that stays in tune.
3. Good sustain (will a floating bridge reduce this?)

I think Les Pauls sound great but I want a whammy bar (and don't think an L Paul will suit one). I like Vai's sound but am not too fond of the genetic Ibenez look (too futuristic perhaps). Also, not overly keen on Strats, sorry. I prefer the sunbursty 'vintage-look' to modern flash 'plasticy' models. I just wanna rock-out and do whammy damage on a terrifying-sounding guitar that looks like it belongs in the 60s/70s. Does such a guitar exist? What would you go for? Cheers.

P.S. Budget no more than £1000 (and would really prefer to pay a lot less than that if possible).
P.P.S. Would it be better if I buy second-hand and if so, where from?

Cheers again.
Look at Reverend. They tend to use Wilkinson or Bigsby trems.

As for where... There are some really good online retailers like Wildwood, and sites like eBay, Elderly and Reverb will have new & used models listed individually.

Vintage & Modern Guitars is "Reverend’s Exclusive Dealer for the UK."

They apparently only list a sample of the current product line that Reverend Guitars has to offer, but any model is available.

http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendsetneckguitars.html

http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendboltonneckguitars.html

http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendsignatureguitars.html

I would also look at Fret-King, either Black Label or Green Label levels. I got one from Frets Guitar Centre. I'm thinking an Esprit 3 or 5 would be right up your alley.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 30, 2013,
how much do you want to stay under £1000? I reckon you can do a lot better than a fretking or a reverend for £1000, but if you'd rather keep to more like £400 then a fretking (probably the HSS blue label strat-type, the super 60 HB) would be pretty nice. They can be got for £400 new all the time, or even less second-hand (they don't hold their value too well).

I'd still say a floyd is better for out-and-out whammy bar craziness, though. It won't help the sustain (though a good floyd should be "good enough", at least if you're using high gain distortion which you probably are if you're looking at floyd roses), but if you want a floyd you'll kinda have to put up with that.

Up to you, really.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
how much do you want to stay under £1000? I reckon you can do a lot better than a fretking or a reverend for £1000...

It may surprise some to see me post this, but I agree...to a pont: that £1000 could get you into the upper echelons of Fret-King's line.

Anywho...

This might appeal: http://www.fernandesguitars.com/monterey/monterey-elite-limited/405-monterey-elite-tremolo.html

Classic LP-style body, LFR, Sustainer.

Or this: http://www.fernandesguitars.com/vertigo/vertigo-elite.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Sep 30, 2013,
Lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
First thing that came to mind was a EC1000FR or something like that..
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
PRS CE22/24 if you can get them in your budget in the UK, they run $1000 USD used here
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by PastaJunkie

I think Les Pauls sound great but I want a whammy bar (and don't think an L Paul will suit one).

Really? Four of mine:

The first time I saw you post that last picture, I didn't notice that Gibson had a black whammy bar. Nice!

I wouldn't buy an Agile if you live outside of the USA, you can not return it if anything is wrong, which there is a chance.

PRS SE singlecut trem might be worth a look if you want LP looks with a trem.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The first time I saw you post that last picture, I didn't notice that Gibson had a black whammy bar. Nice!

It doesn't any more <G>. That's a custom-built Axcess Custom (hated the pink binding and plastics on the standard versions). At the moment, everything metal has been shaken out of that guitar and replaced with nickel (or chrome). Both of those guitars had Floyds that were from the same production line in Korea (one licensed, one "original"). Both now have German (Schaller) made trems and aftermarket sustain blocks. They both now have the same pickups and electronics as well.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I wouldn't buy an Agile if you live outside of the USA, you can not return it if anything is wrong, which there is a chance.

I think the OP is in the You Kay, which is why I didn't recommend Agiles to him. But I did want to point out that the LP shape is no stranger to Floyds (I think Neal Schon had the second Floyd ever, and it went on an LP); it's just not particularly traditional.

Worthy of note, however: both the burst and the Gibson in the one photo have smooth carved neck heels, and the burst is actually neck-through construction with a 16" radius ebony fretboard and a 1 3/4" nut width.

Also worthy of note: the black Agile with the gold hardware is an AL-2000 Floyd, which has a 24-fret board rather than 22, and a neck heel that's "tilted" -- and provides upper fret access on par with the Axcess. The black Agile with the nickel hardware is an AL-3100 Floyd (ebony fretboard, MOP trap inlays, binding everywhere). It also has a Schaller Floyd since this photo was taken. This particular guitar has the usual clunky Gibson-type neck heel and 22 frets, but the current version (this is an older one) of this guitar now has a 24-fret board as well.
Quote by Robbgnarly

One caution with the SE singlecut plus trem. The headstock, while not as bad as a Gibson style, is still prone to catching strings in the nut due to the angles from the nut to the tuners, and that can cause tuning issues if you're using trem with no locking nut. This kind of trem works pretty well on a strat or similar largely because the headstock is a straight-line pull. PRS does fairly well with these on its USA-made guitars in part because they spend quite a bit of time working on the nut. The Korean-built guitars are very good, but don't receive this kind of attention.
Maybe checkout Hagstrom guitars too. They should be within your budget and they do some models with the humbucker / trem combination you're looking for too.
+1 to that- decent quality, too.

Quote by WeZ-84
Maybe checkout Hagstrom guitars too. They should be within your budget and they do some models with the humbucker / trem combination you're looking for too.

Yes, try Hagstrom Super Swede Tremar, it should be surely priced under £1'000
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Look at Reverend. They tend to use Wilkinson or Bigsby trems.

As for where... There are some really good online retailers like Wildwood, and sites like eBay, Elderly and Reverb will have new & used models listed individually.

Vintage & Modern Guitars is "Reverend’s Exclusive Dealer for the UK."

They apparently only list a sample of the current product line that Reverend Guitars has to offer, but any model is available.

http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendsetneckguitars.html

http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendboltonneckguitars.html

http://www.vintageandmodernguitars.co.uk/reverendsignatureguitars.html

I would also look at Fret-King, either Black Label or Green Label levels. I got one from Frets Guitar Centre. I'm thinking an Esprit 3 or 5 would be right up your alley.

Cheers for the advice.
I really like the look of the Fret-King Esprit 3 & 5, but they don't have a whammy bar. What's the name of that guitar 'shape'? That shape of guitar, in sunburst, with a good locking whammy and meaty tone would suit me perfect. Then I'll just have to get me an appropriate amp and wah etc.
Thanks again. )
Quote by dannyalcatraz
It may surprise some to see me post this, but I agree...to a pont: that £1000 could get you into the upper echelons of Fret-King's line.

Anywho...

This might appeal: http://www.fernandesguitars.com/monterey/monterey-elite-limited/405-monterey-elite-tremolo.html

Classic LP-style body, LFR, Sustainer.

Or this: http://www.fernandesguitars.com/vertigo/vertigo-elite.html

The Fernandes looks great!
Also, I've just learned that the look I've been thinking about is the Gibson Firebird. Not sure if any similar models come with a locking whammy and still sound good. I'd be willing to pay a bit more if I were to stumble upon one.
I know Tokai makes a version of the Firebird, but I don't know its specs.

^ Also i don't think they make an MIJ firebird. No trem, either.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

The one i tried (this is a good while ago) was alright, but a bit meh. IIRC it was one of the older korean-made ones, too. I didn't see anything that'd make me take it over an epiphone, in fact i'd likely take an epiphone over it (to clarify: I haven't tried an epi firebird, I'm just going by the epis I've tried). The epis use the "right" woods, too (though admittedly exactly what species of mahogany those cheaper Korean- and Chinese-made guitars use is open to some debate).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for your help everyone. In the end I gave up and got me a strat. Perhaps someone should market a Gibson Firebirdy looking guitar with whammy? Those would sell like hot cakes...
Quote by PastaJunkie
Cheers for your help everyone. In the end I gave up and got me a strat.

WHAT?!?!

Quote by PastaJunkie
Perhaps someone should market a Gibson Firebirdy looking guitar with whammy? Those would sell like hot cakes...

Ya think?
Maybe something like the original Gibson Firebird With A Tremolo?

Or maybe with a Floyd?

Here's the thing. Google Firebird with Tremolo and you get the first one. Google Firebird with Floyd Rose and you get the second (plus variations on the theme). Google is your friend. Have you been using Bing again?