Hello everyone. I am about to spend about 7000 into my studio, as I already have multiple contracts already setup to pay for the gear. *I would like to record these contracts with some new gear, as my studio is already great and I can do quite a bit with it (obviously, or i wouldnt have gotten all these jobs).

Here is my CURRENT setup.

PREAMPS:

Presonus FIREPOD*
Alesis iO26 Firewire*
Yamaha Audiogram 6*
Digidesign Mbox Mini2

RACK PROCESSOR UNITS:

Alto ALTOCOMP Digital Compressor*
Zoom 9010 (Archaic FX Processor with Amp simulation)
Behringer V-Amp Bass (needs to be fixed)

KEYBOARDS/CONTROLLERS:
Behringer FCB1000 MIDI Foot Controller
M-Audio Keystation 88 PRO*
Roland OCTOPAD-8*
TWo other old amateur/consumer grade yamaha keyboards just used for general midi usage and the old 90's household patches on them.

MONITORS:
Yorkville YSM-2p Monitors*
Yorkville YSS-1 Subwoofer*

GENERAL PURPOSE MIXERS: (used for final ouput routing for all studio gear *ex. last in chain before sub-internalcrossover-monitors)

Behringer UB1002FX*
Oldschool Teac Analogue 8-channel mixer (not really used)*

MICS:
Blue Yeti USB Mic
Behringer C3 Condenser
Shure SM57
SHURE SM58c Beta

OTHER;
SE REFLECTION Portable Vocal Booth Thing\
EBOW
BOSS BR-600

AMPS:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/marshall/3203_artist /
100-watt SILVER (not the jubilee) Marshall DSL2000

GUITARS:

Epiphone Les Paul Custom\
G&L ASAT Tele w/ P90's
Taylor 710ce Acoustic
Yamaha Bass

PEDALS:

BOSS ME-70 Pedalboard
BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
BOSS SD-1 Super Overdrive
BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus
]

Here is what I am planning on getting. ALL SUGGESTIONS AND ALTERNATIVES WELCOME!!! if you know of a piece of gear that is a better deal or just a better unit comparable to anything on my list please let me know.

FX UNITS AND PROCESSORS;
Little Labs Red-Eye 3D Custom RE-AMP/DI Box
Lexicon MX400 Dual Effects Unit
ART Pro VLA-II Two Chanell Vactrol-based comp/limiter
BBE Sonic Maximizer
- This is probably the one thing in the list I am on-the-fence about. I know they are handy to have kicking around, and i could incorporate it into my live guitar rig.... anyone have thoughts on this?
Great River MEN1-V Preamp

MICS:
Audio-Technica AT4040 Cardiod Condensor

OTHER:
-Patlchlink 1/4 Patchbay
-Monster Audio Power Conditioner

MONITORS:
JBL LSR Monitors 0 im considering these because i want to upgrade my yorkvilles. my monitor budget is 1000-1500 and i was going to go with the jbl because of the room correction feature. My studio is not permanently setup and we seem to move about once a year, so i figure the option of room correction could benefit someone in my situation.... ANY SUGGESTIONS/ALTERNATES WELCOME. Ive heard amazing things about the Adams speakers in the same price range

KEYBOARDS/CONTROLLERS:
Behringer BCF2000 - Control surface w/ motorized faders
Behringer BCR2000\
AKAI MPK49 - Keyboard/Midi controller
Korg KAOSS PAd 3\

Thanks again for any help!!
Last edited by legion69 at Sep 30, 2013,
What do you primarily record?

If you are recording drum kits for instance - you might want some more mice, such as a stereo pair or something
RIP Gooze

cats
I don't really understand why you have all of those interfaces and mixers. Personally, I'd sell them all and buy one quality unit.

To be honest, I'd probably sell almost everything you have and upgrade it all. Nothing you own is particularly amazing, and with the budget you'd have after selling all of it, and including the $7k you have... you could get a MONSTER recording setup.

Unless you absolutely need them to be outboard units, I wouldn't even bother with half the stuff you're looking into buying. The Great River is a great preamp, but the conversion you have right now isn't particularly stellar, and I'm not entirely sure you can even bypass the preamps on what you're using right now, anyway, so you'd be degrading the signal by running the MEN1-V through it.

The AT4040 is a cool mic, I suggest that one to most people on a budget for a nice LDC. The room correction on the JBL monitors is not going to fix your bad room. Put up some acoustic panels that can be moved if you move. Room correction is absolutely not a fix to your poor room, and it also doesn't cover up the fact that you're recording in an untreated room, it only helps with mixing in one...

With a $7000 budget, you're looking at some pretty low end stuff (aside from the Great River). Spending $1500 on a pair of monitors is just stupid if you're not going to even attempt to treat the room.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
^ Geez.... pretty well bang on for what I was going to say!

It's a really piece-meal and complicated setup. Simply all those preamp options by selling them off and getting one really good interface with great preamps, and then maybe get the Great River to supplement. The Steinberg MR816 may be the best interface under a grand. Check it.

Spend a few hundred on room treatment. You can save a lot by building your own. I can give you a link to my DIY photos if you're interested.

Mics are always your primary investment. You don't have anything that really represents what you're going to want for doing recordings for money and buying thousands of dollars worth of gear. The 4040 is a good start.

Depending on what you're recording, though, a few sort of "must have" mics that won't break the bank would be:

- SM57 (you got one)
- SM 58
- SM7
- MD421
- RE-20

A pair of really nice and fairly affordable SD condensers.... check out the SP C4's. They come in matched pairs with interchangeable capsules.

You will want a great vocal mic. The 4040 is good, but there are lots of other options to consider with a little more money to spend. Don't rule out buying used. I got my Rode K2 for about a third of what they sell for new.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by mulefish
What do you primarily record?

If you are recording drum kits for instance - you might want some more mice, such as a stereo pair or something

I primarily record hard rock music, and i also do alot of electronic music too. My studio caters to all. As far as drums go, i have a set of MIDI drums, and I mostly use Superior Drummer, however I also have a partner studio where we do acoustic drum bedtracks, and finish the rest in my studio.

Quote by MatrixClaw
I don't really understand why you have all of those interfaces and mixers. Personally, I'd sell them all and buy one quality unit.

Most of my gear has essentially been donated, at least in the case of all my pre-amps. To be more specific, i use the yamaha, and digidesign pre-amps/external soundcards with my laptop for small, on-location recording or off-the-board mixes. The alesis io26 is currently my main unit, but i use the FIREPOD in another room, when im tracking away from the alesis io26. less cabling going all over. Since this has all been free gear I may just keep it for random purposes such as these, or i may sell them.

Quote by MatrixClaw

To be honest, I'd probably sell almost everything you have and upgrade it all. Nothing you own is particularly amazing, and with the budget you'd have after selling all of it, and including the $7k you have... you could get a MONSTER recording setup.

same as above, all free gear so I have no qualms with selling and replacing with gear of higher quality, or just keeping stuff for extras or whatever

Quote by MatrixClaw

Unless you absolutely need them to be outboard units, I wouldn't even bother with half the stuff you're looking into buying. The Great River is a great preamp, but the conversion you have right now isn't particularly stellar, and I'm not entirely sure you can even bypass the preamps on what you're using right now, anyway, so you'd be degrading the signal by running the MEN1-V through it.

Yes, on my Alesis iO26 i CAN bypass the pre-amps, which is my plan. I would LOVE suggestions on an external d/a converter and i can get rid of the alesis alltogether. I know NOTHING about D/A converters and wouldnt know where to begin....

Quote by MatrixClaw

The AT4040 is a cool mic, I suggest that one to most people on a budget for a nice LDC. The room correction on the JBL monitors is not going to fix your bad room. Put up some acoustic panels that can be moved if you move. Room correction is absolutely not a fix to your poor room, and it also doesn't cover up the fact that you're recording in an untreated room, it only helps with mixing in one...

Since i move so much, and havent decided on a permanent location for this studio, I am not going to go crazy on building vocal booths, or full-on acoustic treatment. I already have LOTS of foam, blankets, ect and once i see what kind of space i move into, nov 1, i will go from there...

With a $7000 budget, you're looking at some pretty low end stuff (aside from the Great River). Spending $1500 on a pair of monitors is just stupid if you're not going to even attempt to treat the room.

what gear SPECIFICALLY, or what would you do with 7000 in my current situation?

oh and BTW i have decided NOT to get the Sonix Maximizer, and im being told by a few ppl the lexicon might not be a good buy either..... I have TONS of high quality Plugins already, and my financer/partner takes care of all plugins anyhow... i prefer external gear myself.... and i liked the lexicon because it had its own RAM so it doesnt lag down the cpu like plugins do...

Thanks so much for all the advice! especailly all the mic suggestions too!
Last edited by legion69 at Oct 3, 2013,
Quote by axemanchris
^ The Steinberg MR816 may be the best interface under a grand. Check it.

Can anyone back that up? If thats the case i will hands-down buy it. Anything else worth considering?
The Steinberg MR816 is, indeed, a great interface. Plenty of gain on the preamps for whatever mic you want to throw at it, and conversion that easily rivals RME units at over twice its price. The downfall of it is that it's had very poor driver support in the past. Chris and I have talked about this before and he says his is running very reliably, but personally, I'm still quite hesitant on buying any hardware made by Steinberg at this point. If you're on Mac, I'd say it's probably a safer bet.

What is the MAX amount of inputs you'll need at one time? $7000 can get you some high end converters with plenty of high end preamps and monitoring. Are you planning on buying all of this new, or do you mind going used?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Oct 3, 2013,