So I have been playing electric guitar for a couple of years now and I am starting to get a little more serious about my playing. I currently own a squier standard stratocaster and a mexican stratocaster. I play through a Fender Frontman 25r. The pedals I currently have are a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, a Boss BD-2 OD pedal and a behringer ultra chorus.

I would like to get more pedals and eventually a new guitar. I was wonderingg if it is better to buy individual pedals at this point or to get a multi-effects pedal? I was looking at the Digitech RP-255. The multi effects pedal seems so versitle and has very thing I need and even more. But I have heard that when getting multi effects pedal the amp models and the pedals do not sound very good.

I would like to know peoples opinions on what I should get. I play mostly Blues, Rock and Alternative music. Examples- The Black Keys, The White Stripes, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, SRV, Jimi Hendrix and Maroon 5.

Thanks
MFX pedals are a great option, but each one has models that are good and ones that are bad. So if you go that route, make sure that you check the settings you'd be using most often. In addition, they don't mix well with modeling amps.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Mephaphil
A new amp. What's your budget?

+1

Get a good sounding amp first, then worry about what FX pedals you want.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by averyev32
Thanks for the input. What would be a good amp for under $600

(What to include to get good advice)

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

--------------------------------------------

We know some of this stuff, but I'm just copy and pasting from the forum rules thread for the rest.
Like I said earlier anything good for blues rock and alternative. So far the blues jr sounds pretty good for the price.
A Peavey Bravo if you can find it, or a Peavey Classic 30 is always a good bet. Laney makes some good amps for what you're looking for, too (the VC30!), and for the low-budget category Bugera V22s are decent. Also check out Blackstar's HT20.
If you're mostly playing at home, you might just want to pick up a Pod HD Bean. Small and light enough that you can cart it *and* a pair of headphones (like the Sony 7506) almost anywhere.

I've been running pods through an Atomic Reactor (I have three -- two 1x12s and one 2x12). These have internal tube power amps (the 18W is EL84-based, the 50W are 6L6-based) and 200W 12" speakers that are fairly flat in response, with fairly high frequency response.

I'm actually going to be running the Pods (more often) through a pair of KRK Rokit 8's; I haven't been able to crank the Atomics high enough around the house to even KNOW that they're tube amps.

And therein lies the rub with tube amps at home -- it's rare that I get to crank one, so why bother with tubes? It's even getting rare that I can crank one playing out these days; the emphasis on low stage volume by the sound guys precludes even that.
if you ask me, tubes still sound and feel better at home volumes than non-tube amps. Now, to a certain extent, that does depend on your definition of "home volume"- I'd be the first to agree with you that, if you're playing at whisper volume all the time, that a modeller might be a better idea- but if you can turn it up much past "loud TV volume", they start to sound pretty good. In my opinion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It sounds like you already have the pedals to play what you want, get an amp with a good clean setting. I have a Peavey Valveking, the gain is OK really but the cleans are very good.
Thanks for the responses sounds like I need a new amp! The blues jr., belair and some of the peaveys sound good. Any others that are cheap enough to fit a $600 budget that still sound good?
Quote by averyev32
Thanks for the responses sounds like I need a new amp! The blues jr., belair and some of the peaveys sound good. Any others that are cheap enough to fit a $600 budget that still sound good?

One comment regarding the Carvin Belair (and Nomad). As is, this is a hellaciously good amp. My personal favorite speakers in it are a pair of V30's (I have an older Belair), though Eminence Tonkers and Texas Heats are also outstanding. But there are mods for these amps that I really have to recommend. Google "Hasserl Mods" for information. I've had the Stage II mods done on my Belair, and I recommend them highly.
For those of us who don't have the DIY skills, do you think those mods can be done by most guitar shops?

...For if/when I buy my own?

I have own a peavey classic 30, highly recommended for a multitude of great tones. Anything short of metal can be dialed in with enough patience on the amps EQ. Fender Blues Jr amps are always a good home tube amp as well, great tones from that.

I would take my guitar, or grab a similar guitar in the shop, and play on as many as I can that are in the area (above and below) my budget and see what really hits the spot. Suggestions on a forum are just that, suggestions. In the end, you might enjoy the sound of a particular amp better than me or someone else might. Everything is opinion, good luck on your hunt
That Peavey was in my final 3 amps- including a Vox- before I bought my Fender HRD. Good amp.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 3, 2013,
I listen to every band you mentioned (except Maroon 5). The RHCP are my fave. I don't like multi-effects processors, pedals are much better. The only good thing about the processors are that you don't have to worry if your pedal chain has true bypass or non-true bypass pedals, so you won't get any tone sucking.
I have the DS1 and it's good for lead guitar. The BD2 is awesome (that's what I heard about it) but, you should ditch the behringer pedal IMO. I promised myself I'd never buy any of their gear again, it just sucks. If you want a good chorus, try a Boss one. My advice about the pedals is to keep searching. Trust me, you'll change tons of pedals over the years until you find your tone
As for the amp, try a Vox or a Marshall. I think you can get ones at fair prices. Fenders are an awesome choice as well, I own an older solid-state Fender amp and it sounds great.