So I've heard Peavey VYPYRs being recommended time and time again to people asking for amp help.
Now the highest price VYPYR I can see on Musiciansfriend/Guitarcenter is the Peavy VIP3 100W amp for 299. Is this the amp everyone is all over? I guess I expected something around the 500ish dollar mark.
How about the Peavy 6505+ 112?

Details in case they are needed:
Current Gear: Schecter Damien elite solo 6
Bands I play: Chavelle, NIN, Muse, Brand New, Bush. Audioslave
Budget: $500-600
No, the highest regarded Vypyr is the Vypyr Tube 60/120. It's no longer produced, I believe, so you'd have to find an old stock one or a used one.

The 6505+ 112 is a great amp, but I would not recommend one for what you want - the Vypyr is definitely a better choice for that.

Also look at the Peavey JSX, XXX and Ultra Plus, as they will do those tones well in your budget.

Outside of Peavey, look at the Marshall DSL40C and the Jet City JCA22/50.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 1, 2013,
The Vypyr series is more of a beginner's amplifier series. Its a good way for beginner and intermediate guitarists to enter the world of tube amplifiers without breaking the bank, but overall the amps don't have a great tone compared to higher end tube amps. As for the 6505, that's the combo amp version of Peavey's primary metal-geared amplifier head. In the long run, you'll be better off to get the 6505 combo, as it will produce a much better tone. They are also within the budget you have listed if you buy one used, although a little closer to the high end of your range than the Vypyr.
I have a Vypyr Tube 120H and it is definitely not a toy/beginner's amp. As far as modeling goes it can easily hold its own with any Line 6 product.

It sounds different than a real 6505, but it can also hold its own with one (I should know, I also own a 6505).

"Much better tone" is a big exaggeration compared to the + 112.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Vypyr tube 60 and I agree with everything Offworld has said.

Also, consider this as it relates the the 6505+112 and the Vypry 60/120:

Both are made in China
Both have almost the exact same power section
Both have great metal tones
Both sound better with better tubes

But-

Vypyr 60/120 has a killer speaker stock
Has a headphone jack
Much better cleans
Built in noise gate
USB
Built in effects that work
Better low volume tones
Line in
Arguably better/more versatile metal tones. Diezel and Recto models in particular are very good. (They may not sound 100% like the real thing - they just sound awesome in their own right.)

You can find a used Vypyr 60 starting at $250

So as much as I hail and love the 6505/5150 - the Vypyr tube amps give all the other amps out there a decent run for their money. No shit.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Oct 1, 2013,