Ive been trying to overall improve my guitar playing skills and hand strength. My main guitar has a floyd rose tremelo and its such a pain to switch tunings from drop D to standard E. I want to learn some scales for exercises etc. Essentially when playing a scale, say A minor for instance, I would just move up 2 frets on the fretboard on the low D string is that correct?
Yes...

But the thing is, a scale is NOT a position on the fretboard. A scale is a set of note intervals. So, the minor scale has the intervals 1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, & b7. The A minor scale therefore is the notes A, B, C, D, E, F, & G. You should know where these notes are on the fretboard, not just the various "positions" of the A minor scale. (The A minor scale is literally all over the fretboard, and this holds true for any scale you choose. Knowing what notes fit a scale and where those notes are on the fretboard is key.) This UG lesson will help you memorize the notes of the fretboard. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/how_to_find_and_memorize_fretboard_notes_fast.html
Yes, I know. Just taking it one step at a time. I learned guitar by just reading tabs when I 1st started. Now I want to learn how to play guitar the "right" way. Learning a few scales is just a way to warm up or exercise my hands.
Listen to those scales as your play them, how they sound, and what makes them sound the way they do. I know that sounds needless but you'd be surprised when you're going through the "motions" of solely exercising your hands and find you're not exactly listening to what you're playing.

Warm up those ears.
We're all alright!
Quote by Vit2n
Yes, I know. Just taking it one step at a time. I learned guitar by just reading tabs when I 1st started. Now I want to learn how to play guitar the "right" way. Learning a few scales is just a way to warm up or exercise my hands.

Glad you know. Was just making sure, though.

I'd still recommend that lesson; it does a good job of helping one learn the notes of the fretboard.