Page 1 of 2

GOAL: You have until October 20TH to learn a song, any song of your choice, with the instrument of your choice, and record it and upload it (to Youtube, your UG profile or any related site). Audio alone is fine. Video is fine. This should prove some fun and a good time waster and all along you're becoming a better musician. After all entries have been made we will judge on cleanliness, accuracy, techniques (ex. good harmonics or vibrato), styles, speed, etc. and overall impression.

NOTICE: Do not upload to a site where you have to register to view/hear the song (ie, facebook, etc)

*** REGISTRATION IS OPEN RIGHT UP UNTIL THE SUBMISSION DEADLINE ***

Thanks to StewieSwan for this:
To export a GP5 drum track as an Mp3 if I just download the song from UG...

Make sure only the drum track is on (mute the others or press the S button on the drum track in GP) and then go File - Export - MIDI. Once the drum MIDI is exported, find it wherever you put it and open it with itunes. Then right click the track and select "create mp3".
If it doesn't say mp3, if it's another kind of format then go Edit - Preferences - General - Import Settings - Import Using Mp3 Encoder and then right click the song and convert to mp3. This is all assuming you have the latest itunes.

These are the categories:

Guitar -- Easy/Intermediate/Advanced -- (note that 'easy' doesn't mean 'beginner')

Bass Guitar Intermediate/Advanced

Other

The finally completed COLLABORATION category! --

NOTES:

Other includes drums, vocals, keyboards, kazookeylele, bottles, or even the almighty triangle!

The COLLABORATION entries must consist of 2 or more people doing whatever instrument they feel like. All entrants for each song need to confirm their participation in order to be entered.

Don't forget the official UG Group for this monthly competition! Join for updates and news on current and future competitions. Suggestions are also welcome!

Please post the title of the song and band you are choosing and the category you are joining. Your registration will be invalidated if your registration is incomplete. (Bear in mind I probably won't know what BBFSTEDT or whatever stands for so dn't abbrv. wrds & terms)

Post if you are interested. You can also join multiple categories but only 1 entry per instrument per tier.

RULES:
1. Please do not pick a song you already know -- though finishing off a song you've tried and failed on sections of before is fine.
2. Feel free to register as long as you will post an entry by the 20th.
3. The winners get points
4. ...
5. Refer to Rule No.1!!!
6. Profit!

ENTRIES:

Guitar

Easy:

Sickman - Alice in Chains (liampje)

Survival Muse (nico_9550)

Intermediate:

Always and Never - Coheed & Cambria (iHurricaneGTR)

Leather Rebel - Judas Priest (Leony03)

Love Bites - Halestorm (whywefight)

Closer to the Sun - Slightly Stoopid (Obsceneairwaves)

Advanced:

Informal Gluttony - Between the Buried and Me (wolvesofmibu)

Termites - Protest The Hero (Random3)

Limb From Limb - Protest the Hero (WCPhils)

The Face Of My Innocence - Arsis (oneblackened)

Sons Of Winter And Stars - Wintersun

Bass Guitar

Easy

Wish You Were Here - Incubus (Horsedick.MPEG)

Leather Rebel - Judas Priest (Leony03)

Mathematics - Mos Def (TokaiEX)

Money - Pink Floyd (Oyface)

Intermediate:

Bad Things - Jace Everett (Oyface)

Advanced:

Termites - Protest The Hero (Random3)

Other

In The Shadow Of The Horns - Darkthrone (SaintVitus)

COLLABORATION

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTING THREADS

Easy Guitar:

Intermediate Guitar:

Advanced Guitar:

Easy Bass:

Intermediate Bass:

Advanced Bass:

Collaborations:

Other:
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Oct 21, 2013,
Aww, the criteria should be Halloween-themed music.
We're all alright!
How does this work, can you just record over the original track as a standard cover?
I'm thinking of doing a reprise of last year's blindfolded cover if I can find something to blindfold myself with.
E: Don't put me down for anything yet, but I have the stupidest idea for this. It's not Halloween-themed, but it's insane.
E2: Okay, I'm a confirmed idiot.

Wintersun - Sons Of Winter And Stars, intermediate (advanced?) guitar, blindfolded.

Now, I just need to find a blindfold.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Oct 2, 2013,
Sorry about that guys, was sick the last few days.

anywho, I'll try to get this stickied

Quote by Aralingh
How does this work, can you just record over the original track as a standard cover?

You could do that, or you can get a GP5 file or a backing track.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Oct 5, 2013,
I'm in this time!!

Finally!

Idk how well this recording equipment will work but who cares i'm in!

I'm gonna do closer to the sun by slightly stoopid

probably under easy guitar?

be back some time soon with a recording
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
So like, I have an idea of a song I want to cover, but can I make my own version of it?

Like, I wanna do a cover of The Ocarina of Time main theme, but I'm not doing the exact same thing Koji Kondo is and put my own twist on it. Is that cool?
Quote by SunshineMusicO
So like, I have an idea of a song I want to cover, but can I make my own version of it?

Like, I wanna do a cover of The Ocarina of Time main theme, but I'm not doing the exact same thing Koji Kondo is and put my own twist on it. Is that cool?

It's kind of difficult that way because there would be no way to compare it to the original piece. This is more about accuracy and straight up covers. Kind of like guitar hero but with a real guitar.

Quote by progdude93
What difficulty would this be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqNiBrlwIEQ

Probably intermediate or advanced

OP updated. Ima have to PM somebody else to sticky this thing cause I think DisarmGoliath is busy.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I'm almost done mine.

Though I'm learning a few songs so I'm not to sure which to submit.

Also, I noticed I play waaaaay more guitar when I have classes. I didn't submit anything during my summer break.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
It's kind of difficult that way because there would be no way to compare it to the original piece. This is more about accuracy and straight up covers. Kind of like guitar hero but with a real guitar.

Maaannn that's boring. Why in the world would playing the exact thing someone else played be fun?
I'm taking the original theme and putting a twist on it----there's a great way to compare my version with the original one (by listening!).
But whatever, rules are rules, I'm out.
Quote by SunshineMusicO
Maaannn that's boring. Why in the world would playing the exact thing someone else played be fun?

Depends what you're playing. If I'm playing an old bluesy classic rock song, I'll mess around with it, but changing around a Protest the Hero song is kind of cheating since the whole point of playing them is that it's difficult.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Yea, search around. There are a few floating around. A colab one right at the top of the Pit if that interests you.
___

Quote by The_Blode
Sons of Winter and Stars
>medium

Informal Gluttony
>advanced

All of my wat

Quote by SunshineMusicO
I'm taking the original theme and putting a twist on it----there's a great way to compare my version with the original one (by listening!).
But whatever, rules are rules, I'm out.

Cuz the challenge is to play the song, dork. Not everything has to be shitty pentatonic pseudo-blues licks.
PM me for newts
Last edited by StewieSwan at Oct 7, 2013,
but like....I'm still doing the melody, the rhythm guitar, I made drums in it

gah, whatever hahaha I may do another one but I dunno if I got the time
Quote by StewieSwan
Sons of Winter and Stars
>medium

No sweep picking, no bat-shit insane alt-picked runs. It actually wasn't as hard to learn as I thought it would be. Now, blindfolded, on the other hand...
Bump it up to advanced if you want though, I'm fine either way.
Quote by Cavalcade
No sweep picking, no bat-shit insane alt-picked runs. It actually wasn't as hard to learn as I thought it would be. Now, blindfolded, on the other hand...
Bump it up to advanced if you want though, I'm fine either way.

I was more commenting on how Informal Gluttony is 'advanced', yet it's far, far simpler than SOWAS. Also, there's one riff in SOWAS that's pretty tricky to play well.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
I was more commenting on how Informal Gluttony is 'advanced', yet it's far, far simpler than SOWAS. Also, there's one riff in SOWAS that's pretty tricky to play well.

The one with all the jumps at 4:30 (after "...everything that matters to me most")? Yeah, that one's nasty.
OP Updated
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Last edited by Random3 at Oct 12, 2013,
Got some extra time on my hands this month, so sign me up for Money by Pink Floyd, on bass. Not sure what difficulty that would be, any suggestions?

Also, it's not a problem that I know the very basic main part on bass from before, right? I mean, I'll still have to learn the rest of it, and what parts are where and etc.

But what sort of bassist doesn't already know the main part, am I right?
OP Updated
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Almost done with my cover, will upload as soon as I'm done mixing as best as I can.

Will probably do another as well, any suggestions?
Figured it would be PTH
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
So I'm thinking I'll do another, but it can't be an easy one as Money went in the easy category.

What difficulty would this one be? I'd consider it intermediate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0eQL5R3bw4

I think I've signed up with this one before, but I never got past learning the first verse ...

EDIT: So, yeah, I did it anyway. If it can go in the intermediate difficulty that would be great.

https://soundcloud.com/slagv-pen/bad-things-by-jace-everett
Last edited by Oyface at Oct 16, 2013,
Quote by Oyface
So I'm thinking I'll do another, but it can't be an easy one as Money went in the easy category.

What difficulty would this one be? I'd consider it intermediate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0eQL5R3bw4

I think I've signed up with this one before, but I never got past learning the first verse ...

EDIT: So, yeah, I did it anyway. If it can go in the intermediate difficulty that would be great.

https://soundcloud.com/slagv-pen/bad-things-by-jace-everett

Ill toss it in and if anybody takes issue then we can change it around.

OP Updated.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Alright.

If I didn't have a show to play tonight, I would've tried for an advanced song as well ...
I am about to (attempt to) record Limb from Limb

Wish me luck
___

Quote by The_Blode
Yeah I won't be able to upload it in two days :/

been way busier than I thought I would be
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Alrighty guys, threads are going up later today.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Page 1 of 2