I've always been a fan of the Guild S-100 that Kim Thayil from Soundgarden uses, but I never thought I'd actually own one. I always just saw it as a cool, but different, guitar. However, when Guild released the MIK Newark range at Winter NAMM 2013, and one of introductory models was a reissue of the S-100 Polara, my interest was peaked.

I held back from buying one, though, because I wanted to wait until the reviews and opinions of players started hitting the web—but they never did. Apparently, at least over here, Guild were back-ordered for months. Whatever guitars the dealers did receive were pre-ordered and gone as soon as they hit the shop doors. I don't know if this is a good thing or not, but I happened to find a nice guy selling one for €450 up in Dublin so I decided to take the train across the country and bring home a tidy new guitar.

And here is my MIK Guild S-100 Polara in perfect condition:

And for a little review?

It's good; very good. For €450 it was an absolute bargain. The quality is up there with my Japanese imports, and easily on par with many USA Gibsons and Mexican Fenders. I don't know what 'Handcrafted in Korea' signifies exactly, but wherever it's made it's an excellent guitar and I'm chuffed to bits with it. The pickups are rich, full, and incredibly balanced. The neck pickup is slightly duller than I want it to be, but I should be able to rectify this with some adjustments of the pickup height and with my amp.

The neck carve is very neutral and comfortable. It's slick and rarely encumbers you as you play. The tuners are strong and sturdy and barely ever go out of tune. With thick strings this thing resonates beautifully. You can feel it vibrate against your body as it sends the waves through your torso. It's nice and loud acoustically, and this to me is always a good sign, and has a uniformity and clarity to it. It's quite a heavy guitar, but it's manageable. I have a Japanese Ibanez AR100 that is heavier.

The fretwork is solid. Granted, it's not perfect—the high e string slips off the fretboard on the fifth fret too easily and there are a couple of dead notes past the 18th fret—but for the little I paid for it this is to be expected. Although I can't help with the slipping string, unless I replaced the whole fret, I can work on the fretting issues with my local technician. It also needs professionally intonated, but you'd have to do this with a £2000 Gibson.

The finish is nigh on immaculate and the detailing is beautiful. These little... 'details' that are unique to Guild and the S-100 really set the guitar apart from others, and this is something I've always looked for in an instrument. I love traditional designs, but slight variations and tweaks on them are even better. The three Japanese guitars I own all do this, as does my new Guild. The bronze indicators, that iconic tailpiece, the open-back tuners, the tall but narrow frets, they all make this instrument very special. Even the pickup housings and knobs are custom to Guild. I dig that a lot.

Overall I'm very happy. There is a rather unapologetic knot in the Mahogany body, but I think that adds a little to it. It'll grow on me I'm sure. The fretting issues, although most of which can be resolved, are not terrible considering the cost, the quality of the workmanship overall and the parts involved. If you fancy a sonically balanced, affordable instrument with quality on par with USA Gibson Studios, MIM Fenders, and MIK Reverends, that looks a little different, but not overly so, that resonates better than most, this could be something to consider.
Wow very nice

It's kinda depressing that I can tell it's Ireland by the lack of sunshine in the photos
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Wow very nice

It's kinda depressing that I can tell it's Ireland by the lack of sunshine in the photos

Well, except for the "€" and "Dublin" in the post, it could have been Seattle...but you'd need some mildew on the building.

Anyway, HNGD! I heard those are killer axes- from some guys talking in a store, not online- and your review seems to b bear that out.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by innertom
Looks great man.
Bend that bad boy behind the bridge
I love that 'ping' sound as well.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Well, except for the "€" and "Dublin" in the post, it could have been Seattle...but you'd need some mildew on the building.

Seattle's weather is way better than here.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Nice guitar man!

I know a lot of guys in Washington, I don't hear too many good things about the weather haha
Looks like a picture from my backyard. We're having something like our wettest year on record.

Anyway, sweet guitar!
Quote by Dave_Mc

Overcast more than 222 days a year, with chance of volcano? I don't think Ireland is worse.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

HNGD! Looks great, though I've never tried any of these Japanese brands. Never came into contact with one that wasn't beat beyond repair. And I like repairing guitars..

I could tell the pics were taken within the British Isles (regarding the location and weather thing going on here) somewhere before I read the post. I'm not sure Ireland really knows exactly what the sun looks like, Scotland see it about once a blue moon and down in England we get 3 weeks of summer maximum
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
awesome - i had no idea guild had reissued these.

I once played a vintage guild S-100, i loved everything about it, except the bridge was weird. the bridge posts were like the posts you normally get on a stop-bar for a tune-o-matic, only with rough notched edges that was very uncomfortable. I'm kinda glad to see they've used a standard tune-o-matic on these reissues

HNGD
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Looks awesome! I have the old DeArmond copy's, and i'm fixing to build a s-100 copy.. Wish I could look into the reissue.
wouldn't you stain it first? then use white grainfiller, then sand, then waterseal?
Quote by gregs1020
i want that bench.
Yeah, it's weathered naturally over the years and looks awesome. It's a bit rickety but I've warned my mother not to touch it with any finishing materials. It looks awesome as it is.

Quote by Dave_Mc
I've heard Seattle is actually equally as bad as Ireland. Some might even say it's worse.
I used to live in Tacoma, not far from Seattle: one day, we had sunshine, rain and snow in a one-hour timeframe.

And because of the volcanism in the area, you also get earthquakes. (And worse, of course.)

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Overcast more than 222 days a year, with chance of volcano? I don't think Ireland is worse.

it has almost double our annual sunshine

Quote by mikeYekim

I know a lot of guys in Washington, I don't hear too many good things about the weather haha

do you hear a lot of good things about irish weather?

Quote by AngryGoldfish

I've heard Seattle is actually equally as bad as Ireland. Some might even say it's worse.

nowhere near as bad. they actually get a summer where rainfall is much lower and they actually get some sunshine (almost 2-3 times as much as us), whereas our rainfall is spread equally throughout the year. fair bit higher temperatures in summer, too, in seattle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle#Climate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_the_United_Kingdom#Northern_Ireland

Notable figures from that:

Annual Sunshine hours: Northern Ireland: 1219.7
Seattle: 2174

Average high in July:

Northern Ireland: 18.4C/65.1F
Seattle: 24.3/75.8F

Rainfall amounts:

Northern Ireland: 1111.6
Seattle: 950.2

Rainfall days:

Northern Ireland: 177
Seattle: 152

(and that's on a different scale- rainfall days in NI is for days where more than 1mm falls, whereas in Seattle it's when more than 0.001 inches fall; if my conversion is correct, that's actually less for seattle- so it rains on fewer days in Seattle even when the cutoff point for what actually qualifies as a rainy day is lower...)

Sunshine in July:

Northern Ireland: 139.6
Seattle: 313.1

It's also worth pointing out that those are the averages for all of Northern Ireland, whereas the seattle readings are taken from one weather station. I.e. plenty of Northern Ireland is even worse than that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That makes more sense. I struggled to believe when people complained about the weather in Washington.
Yeah the way americans complain about seattle is skewed by how nice (nice compared to us, anyway) the weather in the rest of america is, I think. Plus I think washington gets a lot of light rain, which gives the impression it rains a lot more than it actually does. It actually has less overall rainfall than a lot of other american cities. Though admittedly lots of light rain is no fun, we have a similar problem here in Ireland and the rest of the UK, in that if you look at the amount of rain that falls, it doesn't sound too bad, but then when you look at the number of rainy days, it's much, much worse.

Admittedly no earthquakes and volcanoes, though.

EDIT: and though I posted for NI, the rest of ireland's weather is much of a muchness in comparison. Marginally better in the republic, maybe, but not much. It's still Ireland
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 2, 2013,