Hey guys, another random question from me

I was wondering, how many chords are there out there that are popular or just sound good?

Do musicians use different types of chord shapes and styles when playing things like electrics to classical?

Are there any particular styles of music that use specific chords? E.g. Jazz with dom 7th chords/scales etc.

I mainly play acoustic, but the few electric songs i have learnt have more basic chords as i assume there is more emphasis on lead and solo playing?

Feel free to throw all kinds of answers my way people, as i am still learning!

Thanks!
i'd love to help answer that but, thruth be told, there is no answer to that question. no matter where you randomly put your fingers on the fretboard, it's a chord.
but yes, many people have a favorite chord set that they use.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
there are about and infinite number of chords because technically three notes you put together could be classified as some sort of chord

so the better thing to do instead of learning chords is learning how to construct chords from chord formulas(major chord 135 dom7 135b7) (requires learnign notes on fretboard and a bit of basic theory)

different styles use different chords youre going to see alot more power chords in rock than in classical and alot more 7th in jazz there are no set rules however usually ive written some rocking songs that have a very heavy classical influences in chords and arrangement
and some very jazzy instrumentals
In addition you also have synthetic chords, so pretty much, yes there's "infinite number of chords". When I saw this I was like, "heh...how many...lol...."
Thanks for all your replies people

I think I get it Chords and Scales are very much built on tradition and what sounded good over the years (correct me or add info if I'm wrong please).

I just looked into synthetic chords and i like the sound of the first one I came across.

Our instruments are there to help us express how we feel, so if a new scale comes along which resonates with you (traditional, widely accepted or not) it is still a valid scale in music. So long as it sounds good (to the individual at least) I guess?

So, I guess a better question is in order lol

Who can list an array of music styles and tell me what common techniques, scales, chords etc. are used in them

May start a new topic in the forum for this?

Many many thanks people
Quote by Funky Monk Funk
(...)
I was wondering, how many chords are there out there that are popular or just sound good?
(...)

I think this is interesting, because in my experience almost any chord/note combination can sound good or "right" in a context. I used to think that if you play something dissonant (flat 5th/octave etc) then it would be an "incorrect" chord, only to discover this stuff is all over the place in several music styles.
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I find this very interesting, and the 3 music tutors i have had have never gone into detail about what i have been learning is basically just tradition. Eastern music (The Sitar) does not use the same scales (or theory) as most western music.

Like most things, i guess it is just down to interpretation? Music is about individual interpretation.

Still, i do think "I" prefer the major scale and western guitar tuning compared to The Sitar style ?

Quote by fanapathy
I think this is interesting, because in my experience almost any chord/note combination can sound good or "right" in a context. I used to think that if you play something dissonant (flat 5th/octave etc) then it would be an "incorrect" chord, only to discover this stuff is all over the place in several music styles.

Could you give some examples? Much appreciated.
Don't bother with that "western" music talk. It's a pretty annoying phrase that's just going to get you stuck. I probably regularly use over 300 chord shape that I like. By experiencing different style of music, you'll run into chords and figure these things out. You probably won't see a minoradd9 chord in an actual blues song, but go ahead and put one in if you like it. All music can be analyzed with music theory. You want to be able to link all types and styles of music, don't get it stuck in your head that they is a whole new spectrum of theory if you aren't playing "western" music. It's all just music. If you get stuck with "western" music, you're just limiting your knowledge as a musician. Band's throw in some traditional eastern sounding stuff, but with normal music theory.
Using basic math... 6227020799. This is using 12 tone equal temperament and any conceivable synthetic chords and does not account for inversions, different voicings, or chords that are enharmonically equivalent. This number also includes single notes and diads.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by theogonia777
Using basic math... 6227020799. This is using 12 tone equal temperament and any conceivable synthetic chords and does not account for inversions, different voicings, or chords that are enharmonically equivalent. This number also includes single notes and diads.
With that being said, take note that your number begins with a SIX....! Need I say more?