I was thinking about potentially dropping a new speaker into my special 6 ultra and just wanted to get some thoughts on it.

I dont really know how big a difference the speaker will make so i'll roll with whatever you guys tell me and do some research from there.

I generally have the gain and volume dimed and push the front end with a tubescreamer and use the wattage control as a volume. I find the clean channel to be a bit ice picky so that would be something i'd like to fix if that can be done with a speaker swap.
Hey dude. I'll give you a free bump.

So you use the wattage control for volume? That is interesting.

What is the wattage and ohms of the speaker that is in there now? How long have you had this amp again?

I'll probably recommend a Celestion G12H30 or maybe an Eminence Texas Heat.
Fatbottom? Thats what is inside of vht/fryette.

Personally i like k100s with about anything.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Wgs
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
all i know is that the stock speaker is the vht chromeback. there is a switch on the back of the amp to select between 4,8, and 16 ohms (i leave it in 16, otherwise it sounds muddy and muffled).

and @311, i keep the volume between noon and 3 o'clock, boost engaged, tone and depth about 3'oclock, texture switch in the middle, and keep in through the dirty channel. I use the wattage to control my volume so that no matter where my volume control is, it will help the amp get the cranked sound at lower volumes. all my effects go through the front end and i boost with a ts9 and get a great tone through it.

I just want to know if a speaker swap can add clarity and a bit of a midrange boost and cut down on the harshness of the clean channel

also, no idea what the current specs of the speaker in there but its the vht chromeback. and I've had the amp for 2 or 3 years now i believe
assuming it's the same chromeback that was in my vht 112 cabinet, i thought it was kinda cack. Almost anything decent would be an upgrade, if you ask me. It's just a matter of finding something that suits you.

Do you prefer a more american or british type of tone?

initial thoughts are that 311 is on the money, though- the TH is a nice warm-sounding and versatile american-voiced speaker, while the g12h30 (and similar speakers based on that speaker) is slightly less overtly-british voiced than most celestions (still pretty british-voiced, though) so again is a pretty nice all-rounder.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 2, 2013,
i prefer an american high gain sort of tone but i like more of a british/marshall/vox sort of clean tone. anything that would be a good in between?
Look at WGS speakers and Eminence speakers, they are way cheaper than Celestions and they are actually made in the USA and not China like 90% of Celestions.

The WGS Reaper, Reaper 55Hz, Reaper HP and the Eminence Wizard are all G12h30 type speakers. The EVH Celestion is like a mix of a G12M25 (greenback) and a G12h30 but costs a lot because it says EVH on it.

If you want a V30 speaker, the WGS Veteran 30, Retro 30 and Eminence Governor are all V30 type speakers and run $90 with shipping included.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by andrerist
i prefer an american high gain sort of tone but i like more of a british/marshall/vox sort of clean tone. anything that would be a good in between?

yeah it sorta depends on which you want more. if you want the american high gain tone more the Texas heat would be a good shout. if the british clean, i guess the g12h30... though if anything its more flat mids compared to most british-style speakers almost makes it sound more american for the cleans. it still sounds british, but *more* american than most celestions.

I'm not sure, actually.

Might be worth emailing eminence. only slightly problem with that is they tend to suggest a governor for almost everything Nah, I mean normally they give pretty good advice, but they do seem to suggest the gov an awful lot.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Grawgos
Are you running the stock tubes? If so, a tube change may get rid of the ice pick/harshness.

no i have new JJ's that i put in a year or two ago
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah it sorta depends on which you want more. if you want the american high gain tone more the Texas heat would be a good shout. if the british clean, i guess the g12h30... though if anything its more flat mids compared to most british-style speakers almost makes it sound more american for the cleans. it still sounds british, but *more* american than most celestions.

I'm not sure, actually.

Might be worth emailing eminence. only slightly problem with that is they tend to suggest a governor for almost everything Nah, I mean normally they give pretty good advice, but they do seem to suggest the gov an awful lot.

in that case i'd rather air more on the american end of things for the high gain tone. thats what i'm playing 80% of the time
Thanks. I'd probably veer towards the texas heat, then.

I'd email eminence too to see what they say, just in case I have forgotten something obvious (or they have something I haven't tried which might work better).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?