I'm still a bit confused about this. I apologize for the redundancy. I most likely need to just learn theory, but my question is as follows:

If a backing track is in A, for example, I can use the pentatonic shape starting on the 5th fret, low E string (A note) and use the 4 other pentatonic shapes that correlate, correct?

Now, if the song is in B, I would use that first pentatonic shape starting on the 7th fret E string and move the corresponding 4 pentatonic shapes up a whole step?

What if the song is in D, and there is no low E note to start on?

I'm sorry if this is very obvious. I've learned the 5 pentatonic shapes and have been using them to improvise over songs I like and backing tracks, and I'm just in a phase where it's hit or miss until I find something that works. I would like to know what to go to immediately.
Let's get things clear.

Based on these shapes

The n shape will start in the root note for a Minor pentatonic Scale

The n+3 shape will start in the root note for a Major pentatonic scale

If you want to play D, your root note is going to be on the 10th fret, low E string
Ugh, I'm left handed. Those charts hurt my brain. Is there an easy hack for them? And duh, 10th fret E string is D..thanks

Edit: Nevermind, i kind of get it now...i was looking at the strings thinking they were frets. I just have to read it backwards....
Last edited by RyanMW2010 at Oct 2, 2013,
Quote by RyanMW2010
Ugh, I'm left handed. Those charts hurt my brain. Is there an easy hack for them? And duh, 10th fret E string is D..thanks

Edit: Nevermind, i kind of get it now...i was looking at the strings thinking they were frets. I just have to read it backwards....

Yes, learn what they actually are.

Learn the notes on your fretboard, learn the notes of the scale you're using.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Yes, learn what they actually are.

Learn the notes on your fretboard, learn the notes of the scale you're using.

Sorry Steven. I meant that I didn't understand what the scale diagram was depicting, but i was looking at it wrong and I get it now. I'm going to watch some videos on theory. I'm self taught and knew nothing until very recently, but I'm ready to learn!
That's just it, it's depicting notes - without knowing them scales are never going to really make any sense.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com