So I made a little partscaster from an affinity and a bullet strat. Affinity neck bullet body. Just tuned it up, and GEEZ! I can get the action lower than most high end Fenders and the playability and smoothness is something noteworthy. I also put a SD Invader in the bridge and BOYO!!! This instrument will CRUSH you if you are not ready!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
It's always great to hear stories like this.

From '83 to about the early-mid '90s Squiers were some damn good guitars for the money. Then they pretty much were just a major craps shoot until around the mid '00s. For example, my '04 Affinity is a great guitar, especially for coming from an all-in-one starter pack.
I still play my all-in-one starter strat from 2003. I scalloped the board during my Yngwie phase, did a pickup swap, sanded the neck and it plays pretty damn well considering it is worth $50 at most.

The only qualm I have with it is the action is too high, but I'm kind of glad. I spent so many hours on high action that I can now pickup almost any guitar and play as if it had razor sharp setup.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by Invader Jim
For example, my '04 Affinity is a great guitar, especially for coming from an all-in-one starter pack.

Same here, but mine's an '06 model.

I did some cosmetic customizing to it, but the pickups are still stock.
It sounds as good (albeit different, of course) as my friend's American Deluxe Strat, and it feels and plays better, even my friend agrees.

EDIT: btw TS, i'd love to see pics of your partscaster build and finished product.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Oct 2, 2013,
I have no idea why people buy strats in the first place. It's a guitar made entirely out of bolted-together parts, they slob so much lacquer on the necks that you don't feel any wood, and the pickups are all mounted to a piece of freaking plastic. The strat is a 60 year old design that Ibanez improved on 25 years ago, and countless other improvements have been made since then. It seems like every company except Fender has made a better version of the strat already.

So it doesn't surprise me that your cheap one is better than an expensive one, the expensive ones are still just parts guitars but made out of "better" parts. There's not that much craftsmanship involved when you're dealing with a guitar that a teenager could put together in his parents basement without any instructions.

It baffles me that people spend $2000-$3000 on these things when for that money you could commission a luthier to custom-build you a guitar of much greater quality to your exact specifications. Or at least get something decent like a PRS, Carvin, Suhr, etc. It says a lot when you can do a blind test and people can't tell the difference between a Mexican Strat and an American one. Could you imagine how different a Mexican made PRS would feel from a real one?
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
Last edited by SkyValley at Oct 2, 2013,
Quote by SkyValley
I have no idea why people buy strats in the first place. It's a guitar made entirely out of bolted-together parts, they slob so much lacquer on the necks that you don't feel any wood, and the pickups are all mounted to a piece of freaking plastic. The strat is a 60 year old design that Ibanez improved on 25 years ago, and countless other improvements have been made since then. It seems like every company except Fender has made a better version of the strat already.

It has a bolt on neck, i don't really see how that consitutes being completely bolted together.

I also don't see what's wrong with a bolted together guitar?

Fender probably uses the LEAST amount of laquer on their necks among the big guys. Have you ever played a Gibson?

Most pickups are mounted pickup rings which tend to be... plastic.

Congratulations TS, although I tend to find the more expesnive USA pickups better generally. Whack some in and you're good to go
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic