I have problem alternative picking a fast riff with alternating chords and single notes. For example the riff in Hallowed be thy name. I have always downpicked all the rhythm guitar parts but now I think it could be alternative picked somehow. Should they be straightly alternative picked like I have written or is there a better way?

-9-----9-----9-----9-----9-9-9-9-9-----9-----9----5p4----
-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7------5--
-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-u
It's certainly possible to downpick that section so for that song at least I wouldn't worry about it too much but learning to properly alternate pick it would do you good by the sounds of things; if you're learning metal then there will be plenty of times where downpicking will just not work for what you want to do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Try this:

d-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u-d-d
Last edited by Exar.Kun.110 at Oct 2, 2013,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Learn the main riff from "The Hero" by Amon Amarth, it'll help in learning riffs like this.

It's not going to help him with this any more than just learning this will though...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Oct 2, 2013,
i think that was meant to be downpicked. so for this song, it's okay.

alternate picking this is very possible though, and it's good to learn difficult patterns. after you learn enough picking patterns, you'll feel like you've seen them all, so it's worth doing.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Personally, I focus on what sounds cooler. From a quick play though, I would do it pretty much as you are doing it.

I find that subtle differences are hardly noticeable, compared to playing it in time. Unless you are intentionally aiming for upstoke or downstroke sounds, you should be hitting the power chord as what sounds like simultaneous notes.

Quote by Exar.Kun.110
Try this:

d-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u-d-d

This will probably sound cool and worth a try.
Aren't these technically 8ths, this is part of the solo riff yeah? They're not really too fast to downpick but I'm all for playing things in multiple ways

Natural for me is this, I use some form of economy picking
-9-----9-----9-----9-----9-9-9-9-9-----9-----9----5p4----
-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7------5--
-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u-d-u-d-u-d-d-u-d-d-u--d---u--
Last edited by fanapathy at Oct 4, 2013,