Hey guys.

Long story short, I have a chance to trade my current amp for a 6505.
I've always wanted one and was planning on saving to get one next year but
The chance to grab this is too good to pass up.

Here's the problem. The guy I'm trading heads with sent me a message
Saying that he went to test the head and it's having an issue with the clean channel.
He didn't tell me exactly what noise it was making cause it was late at night when I got the message. He said that after checking it out, one of the preamp tube sockets is loose.
He said that the dirty channel is mint no problem at all but the clean is lame.

My question is, should I still go through with the trade? Is something like a loose preamp socket a pain to have repaired?

I'd really like to get this amp. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by Toni Redgrave at Oct 2, 2013,
what head do you have?
If your head is 100% I would not trade for an amp that is not.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you want it that bad... Tell that guy you want to have a tech look it over first to see how much it would be to repair it. Then you guys can figure out if it's a straight trade or a trade + some cash.
Quote by Blackfire.
If you want it that bad... Tell that guy you want to have a tech look it over first to see how much it would be to repair it. Then you guys can figure out if it's a straight trade or a trade + some cash.

+1
And make him pay for the tech to look at it, don't pay out of your pocket
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm currently running a 2001 Gibson Les Paul studio with Zakk's EMG set through a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL50 and Marshall 1960B with eminence speakers.

I've always wanted either a 5150 of 6505 ever since I played one.

I'm gonna do a little research and get in contact with the repair guy my circle of friends goes to and talk to him, see what he says. Thanks for the input.
I have a DSL100 and I like it better than the 5150's for versatility, but 5150's do have a tone of their own.

Are you using a boost on your amp?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I definitely agree on versatility but I've always dug how raw the peavey heads sound. I really like my Marshall but like I said, I've had the jones for the 5150 since I started playing.

I have an Ibanez ts808 but don't really use it.
Last edited by Toni Redgrave at Oct 2, 2013,
Quote by Toni Redgrave
I definitely agree on versatility but I've always dug how raw the peavey heads sound. I really like my Marshall but like I said, I've had the jones for the 5150 since I started playing.

I have an Ibanez ts808 but don't really use it.

Use the TS808 as a boost with your JCM, it can make a difference: Volume max, Gain 0, tone to taste.

Where do you live? There is a 6505+ 1x12 (made into a head) for $299 at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear then you'd have the best of both.

If nothing else, make sure the amp he has works properly before you do the trade.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 2, 2013,
I may start using it. It's not that I don't like my tone cause I really do. That's why I bought the head. I've just always wanted that Peavey. I talked more with the guy and he said he didn't wanna go through with the trade because he wouldn't feel comfortable with giving me the amp and it not being 100%.

We talked a little more and agreed that if he got it repaired we would talk about it at a later date. Real cool kid. The studio I recorded my bands EP at has a 6505+ and may be selling it.

We'll see what happens.