Depends on the model and what you call a "normal shaped pickup" but for the most part, yes. Most split humbuckers don't sound particularly great as a single coil, there are some exceptions but most of them range from decent to really bad.

It's hard to figure out what you're asking, though. Maybe try to explain your question a bit more specifically?
^i presume he's referring to split pickups as in the pickups which are split into separate coils for the high and low strings, like on P-basses, G&L comanches and some italia guitars etc.

Of course those will sound different to a "normal" pickup, but i would imagine that they have a somewhat similar effect to angling the pickup so the treble side is closer to the bridge like on a strat or a tele bridge pickup, but not quite the same since the poles on each "side" of the pickup all line up parallel to the bridge. I guess it's mostly going to result in a different tonal balance across all the strings.

All i really know about it is that my D and G strings on my P-Bass are a little brighter and twangier than the E and A strings.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Just like Fender Electric XII and another bar shaped pickups. Thnx for the replies.
I've found as a rule of thumb, the better your humbuckers, the better they'll sound split.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have a Kramer Assault series guitar, 2 humbuckers with coil split and when I switch to the neck pickup and split the coils, it sounds absolutely awesome. The tone is brilliant.
But JUST ON CLEAN CHANNEL. It doesn't sound good at all on drive.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
Because a picture says 1000 words, and this one has a cat on it:

TS is asking about this kind of pickup, not coil splitting for humbuckers
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Ah- good info + nice kitty- thanks!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!