Hey all , i need some help...'am about to order a custom guitar and i want to choose from bare knuckle pickups some that will deliver the sound that i want ( guitar is 8 string ,neck through , 30 " scale ,macassar ebony fretboard , 5P mahogany/maple).
I want to choose between Aftermaths and Warpigs (alnico or ceramic).

I play(as in i want to) Doom metal(Isole), Djent(Vildhjarta, Tesseract, and a bit of Bulb), Post rock/metal(the ambient kind of stuff)(Pelican, Sleep Dealer ,If these trees could talk, Catacombe, etc) , Metal, Gothic metal(Paradise Lost, Novembers Doom), Progressive metal (Opeth, Tool , A perfect circle), and Deathcore ( Aversions Crown).
I am looking for a sound that would suit them all , what do you think i should pick between these 2 , or do you think of another better model?

Thank you!
PS: I couldn't find if bkp have covers that look like the EMG ones ( the simple , black rectangle ones). Do they ? it's a must that i have that kind of covers since they work really well with the guitar
Last edited by SpeedosZ at Nov 13, 2013,
I don't think there's a metal sound there you haven't covered as what you need. All you need is a medium-high output pickup that'l work with 8 strings. Doom typically (I assume, it's not my choice of metal) uses a loose bass response with very high gain. Djent on the other hand is near opposite, using an incredibly tight bass sound with lower gain to gain lots of clarity.

With all this said, you're gonna be setting your amp settings up to get all those tones and individual pickups aren't going to make much difference as some will sound better to djent with, and others will be better to sludge with.

With all this said, I'd recommend against BKP as there are other companies that will do just as great for your needs (DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan) and will be done at greater prices. If you're set on BKP, then by all means, get either one. I personally think they're a bit of a fad to a lot of downtuned players at the moment and aren't worth as much as they are. With that said I haven't tried them and that opinion might change when I do try them

Edit: (I didn't mean to put "with all this said" so many times )
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Last edited by Lavatain at Oct 2, 2013,
rainhead : The guys from where i want to purchase it has BKP(any model)/EMG 808/Duncans Blackouts/Lundgren as stock and will charge more as i recall if you want something that is not there ( i believe the price they offer for them all is equal..or i might be mistaken)

Lavatain : well yeah lol , now that i look at it i covered everything, i'll just summarise it a bit : i want a DARK sound : ) .
i'm set on bkps because i am not fond of active pickups at all , therefore everything that is left for me is BKP and lundgren...and so i choose bkp.
Anyway , do bkps have that cover that i was talking about ?
Last edited by SpeedosZ at Oct 3, 2013,
Quote by SpeedosZ
rainhead : The guys from where i want to purchase it has BKP(any model)/EMG 808/Duncans Blackouts/Lundgren as stock and will charge more as i recall if you want something that is not there ( i believe the price they offer for them all is equal..or i might be mistaken)

Lavatain : well yeah lol , now that i look at it i covered everything, i'll just summarise it a bit : i want a DARK sound : ) .
i'm set on bkps because i am not fond of active pickups at all , therefore everything that is left for me is BKP and lundgren...and so i choose bkp.
Anyway , do bkps have that cover that i was talking about ?

Are you saying this company will charge more for a cheaper pickup? Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio only make a handful of active pickups compared to their massive passive catalogue. If the company legitimately charges more for non-boutique, higher demand pickups that are more renowned then I'd question their morales a bit. But if that is the case, then all you need to do is find a versus review of the two BKP you suggested and find whichever is darker
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
I'd say Blackouts or 808s, depending on what kind of tone you like most.
Blackouts djent very nicely, and will do metal well.
808s do metal very nice, and will djent well.

It's all about the mid range - go for the 808s if you'll be scooping your mids most of the time.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
won't go with the actives as i said m8 ...still can't decide between warpig and aftermath...
i love the sound of the alnico warpig which is dark and i would 100% go with it but having a 30 inch scale neck through mahogany/maple guitar frightens me a bit about the fact that it might be way too muddy on the low strings and i would be in need of a change to a more brighter pickup. But if i would go for aftermath i would have a very bright and annoying sound on the high strings (because of the 30") when soloing ( not that i solo too much)...damn this is hard.

Ill ask again , anyone knows if they make a set of covers that look like the EMG 808 rectangle simple black ones with no holes in them ?
TY!
I'd actually try Dimarzio d-activators. I'm pretty sure they come in 8-string variant now as well. I had the six string version in my Ibanez ICT-700, they were very clean, articulate and could definitely get a really good metal crunch when needed. Very underrated pickup imo. I think it's due to them being passive, but emulating active without the battery.