I really like the sound of the Seymour Duncan JB although I find it a bit muddy. Is there a pickup that's similar but with more clarity and less mud?

I like the tone of the guitar in this video (the JB clips):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqHUYIzsFCw

But it just sounds a bit muddy. Is there a pickup that can offer me this tone but with more clarity?
the distortion would kinda do that, but i'm guessing you've discounted it for some reason...

it really depends on how close you need it to be to the JB and also making it tighter will probably change the tone a bit, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know you're probably looking for passives, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend the EMG 81. I used JB's on every single one of my guitars for like 5 or 6 years but I always noticed that mud you're talking about. Got my first guitar with EMG's, and I've used nothing but since. They are amazing at everything, they excel in clarity, and especially cleans IMO. I actually prefer the clean tone of my EMG 60 over the single coils in my fender!
Last edited by trashbeast at Oct 4, 2013,
I was actually looking into this myself. From what I hear is the bareknuckle holy diver is pretty much that. But take it with a grain of salt, because that's what I'm doing for the moment. Just what I gathered from research.
The BKP Holydiver is called by many to be all the good of a JB with none of the bad.
Less gain with the jb or maybe just work on a tighter playing style tighter strings or something. Also the emg 57 is supposed to be pretty damn good
My Gear:
LTD EC-1000 (duncan jb/jazz)
Schecter SLS (EMGs)
ESP Horizon
6505 head
Marshall 1960lead cab
Boss noise gate
maxon od808
boss chorus
boss de-7
Dunlop strings and tortex 1.14s