Im in
DGCFAd
and thats just one down from EADGBe
and i need to transcribe a few things first of
a C chord
now If im right Everything is down a letter so a C would be a D?
so would it be played like

D--2-----------
A--3-----------
F--2------------
C---------------
G-x-------------
D-x-------------

New to theory so help me out please.
Im trying to learn this without using a capo.
Yep. It would help a lot to learn the notes & how to form chords. For instance, no matter what your tuning a C chord will always have C - E - G & then all you have to do is look at the notes you're playing & identify it.

It's a process when learning new tunings because the notes move around from what you're used to, but it's not that tough.
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
well i figured that out i guess not to bad for a nooby at theory although Im struggling with the G7 i know g7 should be Gbdf? if im correct i just don't know how to finger it on D rather than the first position in E

Edit would it be a a7? or something else
Last edited by anthonysketch at Oct 2, 2013,
Quote by anthonysketch
well i figured that out i guess not to bad for a nooby at theory although Im struggling with the G7 i know g7 should be Gbdf? if im correct i just don't know how to finger it on D rather than the first position in E

Edit would it be a e7? or something else

Well, your fingerings of chords would actually remain the same.

It's just that Dmajor in E tuning becomes C major in D tuning. So, G7 becomes F7. Remember, you're tuned down a whole step (2 half steps = 1 whole step).

So, take G7 in E tuning as an example. The notes are GBDF. In D tuning, those notes become FACEb. If it helps, count down the half steps. Write out the notes on paper, then go from G to Gb to F, B to Bb to A, etc.

If you want to memorize the fretboard, I always recommend the below UG lesson. It has several different methods to aid in learning the notes of the fretboard.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/how_to_find_and_memorize_fretboard_notes_fast.html
It's worth noting that songs that are downtuned or using a capo, when given a chord chart, will usually be labelled as if they're in standard.
I'm not trying to learn songs right now I just need to kind of learn theory and i dont really have anyone to teach me so all on my own here lol.
But im getting confused lol
It doesn't matter what the notes are called in that tuning. I always think the first fret of the 6th string as an F, no matter how low (or high) tuning I'm in. It will just confuse you more if you need to learn 12 different note names for one fret. So what I would do is learn the note names in standard and also use the same note names for the same frets in other tunings (unless you play with a keyboardist or other instruments that aren't guitar/bass or want to read sheet music - but then I would just play in standard tuning ).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115