Hey guys I have yet to really record anything I play. I want to start recording riffs and working out some ideas for the band I am in. I don't want a lot of bells and whistles. I am looking for a simple effective recording strategy. What do I need/what is the best way to go? I know very little in this area.
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Check the interfaces sticky it answers all of this. If you want a TL;DR then here it is:

Get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and REAPER.
Quote by chatterbox272
Check the interfaces sticky it answers all of this. If you want a TL;DR then here it is:

Get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, and REAPER.

Or a multitracker
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
So I guess what I am trying to say is I will be recording an electric guitar. So I need an interface and software is that it?
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Like Chatterbox said, you need to read the interfaces sticky to find out about your options & the best recommendations.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I have looked at it now a bit but I have one question that may be kind of a dumb question. The interfaces have the instrument input but what if I want my sound from my amp with my pedals and such. The thing that is confusing is it seems like a lot of the people I see are using like amp modeling devices and such but I want my amp. Is there some type of splitting cable or how does it work?

Thanks
Raconteurs Fan Guy
Then you'd need a mic as well. We aren't supposed to use the phrase 'industry standard', but an SM57 is the easiest suggestion.

If you want to keep it simple though, you may find a multitracker to be the better solution for you. They're designed for people who just want an easy way of recording their ideas, they can do pretty much everything the software equivalent can, and you'd be able to take it along to your band practices to play back what you've done, or to record the other guys ideas alongside your own.

Either way, a mic will be needed to record your amp. Some here will say you can get better results using modeling software, but I always believe if you have a good tone with your amp there's no reason to try and recreate that sound using simulators.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
If you're not thinking about moving on to greater things, then why not look at a small portable recorder like a Zoom H1 or H2? You can just put them in front of your amp and record what you want. I think a lot of them can be used as audio interfaces as well.

This route will be cheaper than an interface/mic combo!