Bathory is my favorite Black metal band and my third favorite Metal band ever behind Sabbath and Priest. Bathory as far as I know invented Black metal (some argue venom but they sound more like NWOBHM to me) as well as Viking metal. Bathory is also from what I can tell by far one of the most consistent and versatile bands in all of extreme metal, plus they only have two particularly weak albums (Requiem and Octogon). Despite this a lot of Black metal fans try to convince me that bands such as Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem, Burzum, and Emperor are better. Now I like the bands mentioned here but from what I've listened they are not particularly mind blowing and are far away from Bathory's genius in fact I find them quite boring in comparison. Some major Black metal fans I've spoken to don't even know who Bathory is. I can't help but wonder if these Norwegion bands are more popular for reasons other than the quality of their music. Sabbat is a Black metal band who comes close to Bathory's glory with albums like The dwelling and Karmagmassacre but they are even more ignored in the Black metal fandom. I don't know what else to say what is your opinion?
cause they're just lame. a fine day to die? thank god quorthon followed his own advice

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Necromancy is a banger tho. Don't care about their Viking shit
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
cause they're just lame. a fine day to die? thank god quorthon followed his own advice

Any band of any kind can be labeled as lame. Do you even like Black metal? A lot of Black metal is easy to make fun of good bands though don't give a shit they do their own thing and make the music they want. Bathory wanted to make music about their home countries history and personally I like that attitude. Looking at your comment I fear this is a troll infested shit hole for hipsters and maybe I shouldn't have come here. Probably a bunch of metal core and Metallica fanboys here.
I think what he is really implying is that those fans you are talking about are lame. Bathory is cool band I think and anyone who is a fan of Black Metal would probably agree that at least some of their music is awesome.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Quote by rg_metal
I think what he is really implying is that those fans you are talking about are lame. Bathory is cool band I think and anyone who is a fan of Black Metal would probably agree that at least some of their music is awesome.

Oh you think so? Than if he is my bad. I figure anyone who like black metal would at least dig the first four albums. Some of their stuff can be a bit over the top and maybe cheesy but hey that's metal in general isn't it? Still I think some of their stuff just takes getting used to. Didn't care for The return... at first but now I love it. Same with Hammerheart. The band is just too epic imo.
Yeah there is a difference between an opinion of an individual and a general consensus. I would say there are bands that just about everyone will like and other bands that are terrible and a few people like. Take for example Between the Buried and Me. Such a dismal pathetic excuse of a band that doesn't follow the general consensus but somehow people like that band dearly. Opinions are opinions and good music is overtly good music. I don't mean to say that mainstream music is an indication of a general consensus of good music. However, if you hear people say time and time again that something is masterful such as Mozart or Beethoven then something about the music is essentially amazing.

Quote by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
Last edited by rg_metal at Oct 3, 2013,
Quote by Emenius Sleepus

ahahahaha

OP you're a moron, every black metal fan and their dogs love bathory.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Pretty much, I haven't met anyone who listens to black metal who doesn't at the very least love Bathory.
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
Quote by BathorySwans
Bathory is my favorite Black metal band and my third favorite Metal band ever behind Sabbath and Priest. Bathory as far as I know invented Black metal (some argue venom but they sound more like NWOBHM to me) as well as Viking metal. Bathory is also from what I can tell by far one of the most consistent and versatile bands in all of extreme metal, plus they only have two particularly weak albums (Requiem and Octogon). Despite this a lot of Black metal fans try to convince me that bands such as Darkthrone, Immortal, Mayhem, Burzum, and Emperor are better. Now I like the bands mentioned here but from what I've listened they are not particularly mind blowing and are far away from Bathory's genius in fact I find them quite boring in comparison. Some major Black metal fans I've spoken to don't even know who Bathory is. I can't help but wonder if these Norwegion bands are more popular for reasons other than the quality of their music. Sabbat is a Black metal band who comes close to Bathory's glory with albums like The dwelling and Karmagmassacre but they are even more ignored in the Black metal fandom. I don't know what else to say what is your opinion?

They were not major Black Metal fans if they do not even know of Bathory. Seriously, I don't know anyone who claims to like Black Metal and does not love Bathory. Quorthon is one of the greats in metal history.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Quote by rg_metal
..Bathory is cool band I think and anyone who is a fan of Black Metal would probably agree that at least some of their music is awesome.

and anyone who isn't a fan of black metal (like me) will also agree that most of his non BM music is awesome as well!
Stupidest fucking thread in a long time, and that's saying something.
Quote by Ultraussie
I want to try that while playing the opening riff to "Tempting Time".

0-0-0-13-0-0-0-0-13 or something like that alalalala but It;s so heavy and off time and awesome and you could not f**k anyone to it.

Quote by Ingested
burzum IS nazi. well, varg is.