Hello!

I am currently looking into getting another cabinet. For some reason I think I want a 2x12. I haven't owned one in years. All I have used for some time now has been 4x12s. I play metal mostly, and I know that generally a 4x12 is louder than a 2x12, but what is the difference between a 4x12 and a 2x12 when running them as a second output? I currently play a Verellen Skyhammer through a Verellen 4x12. It has WGS Veteran 30s and WGS Green Berets in it wired at 16 ohms. I really want to try an Avatar Cabinet with Eminence Govenors and Cannabis Rex speakers in it. I can't decide if I should get a 2x12 or 4x12. Any thoughts or suggestions?
what do you mean by "second output"? do you mean running a 2x12 alongside a 4x12 (i.e. both at once)?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I mean the second 8 ohm output on my amp. My choice is either get a 16 ohm 4x12 or 2x12 cab to go with my 16ohm 4x12. I would be running both cabs from the 2 8 ohm outputs.
gotcha, thanks

the main thing to keep in mind is that, assuming both cabs' impedances are the same (from the sounds of it they will be), the wattage will be split evenly between the two cabinets. So, half the power will go to your existing 4x12, and the other half of the power will go to the 2x12. So you need to be careful that the speakers in the 2x12 can handle half your amp head's wattage.

it should be fine if you go with governors and cannabis rexes, they're pretty highly-rated already. what amp is it?

EDIT: the other concern is mixing too many different types of speakers- if you're not careful it'll sound like a mess. I don't have that much experience with this, but i tried an eminence red white and blues, screamin eagle and texas heat together (with a similar impedance mismatch to yours- double the wattage going to the TH), and it sounded like ass Obviously that's one single example and not a scientific test, but it's worth bearing in mind. You can have too much of a good thing where all the frequencies are fighting each other, if you're not careful.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 3, 2013,
I run a 2x12 on top of a 4x12. I do it mainly because I get a better spread of sound (esp vertically) for feedback purposes. There are some tricks you can do depending on the speakers and what you want to do. For example my config:
all are identical 16 ohm speakers.
2x12 wired is series for 32 ohm
4x12 wired series/parallel for 16 ohm
both cabs in parallel for total of 10 ohm
amp switched to 8 ohm.

This means all speakers get the same amount of power, giving an even spread from top to bottom. However, it does mean that the 2x12 is unusable unless run icw the 4x12.

If you have different impedance speakers then other configurations may be required. You have to think logically and do the math.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My amp is 100 watts. the speakers in the 4x12 are WGS veteran 30s (vintage 30) 60 watts, and Green berets (green back) 25 watts. The governor is 75W and the cannabis rex is 50W. I think that should be distributed fine.
Quote by letsgetcokes
My amp is 100 watts. the speakers in the 4x12 are WGS veteran 30s (vintage 30) 60 watts, and Green berets (green back) 25 watts. The governor is 75W and the cannabis rex is 50W. I think that should be distributed fine.

Power of the cab = wattage of the least powerful speaker X amount of speakers in the cab.

If you have a 25 watt speaker in your 4x12 cab, than the power of the cab is 100 watts, because 25 watts x 4 speakers = 100 watts.
^ yeah

and if you put a gov and CR into the one cab it'd be rated at 100 watts for the same reason.

Should be fine from a power-handling point of view. Whether it sounds good with all those disparate speakers mixed together, I dunno. You won't really know till you try.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JackovSlayer
Power of the cab = wattage of the least powerful speaker X amount of speakers in the cab.

If you have a 25 watt speaker in your 4x12 cab, than the power of the cab is 100 watts, because 25 watts x 4 speakers = 100 watts.

This makes a ton of sense. Thank you! I think I' going to try it out. It''ll be interesting with all those speakers, but eventually I may want to get rid of the ones in the 4x12 anyways. Theyre ok, but not phenomenal.
just bear in mind, if you are going to be running the 2x12 alone, it'll be just about ok. Maybe pushing it, actually. Eminence has the rep of being a bit optimistic with its speaker power ratings (and efficiencies)- whereas, say, a celestion rated at 50 watt will normally handle a 50 watt tube amp fine.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?