Hi everyone.

I'm interested in the Gibson Firebird look and am wondering if anyone can briefly summarise for me the various models (i.e. shape/look) of Firebird. (I'm an absolute beginner to Firebirds, sorry, and Google is chucking all sorts of exotic variations at me.)

Ideally, I'd love a guitar that resembles a sunburst Gibson Firebird but with a good locking whammy bar and great meaty tone. Are such guitars available and do they still sound good with the floating bridge? Also would it be possible to acquire one without spending well over the $1000 mark?

Cheers.
Firebirds with Floyds don't really exist as far as I know. You might find the odd one with a Bigsby though.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
^ +1

esp has a vaguely firebird-shaped model which might (I dunno for sure) be available with a trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well; I suppose you could pay a good guitar tech to install a locking tremolo on a Firebird, but you would have to thoroughly plan it out. You are talking about removing a great deal of wood from a guitar whose body is not too thick to begin with.

As for the various models of Firebirds, there are any number of websites that chronicle the history of the Gibson Firebird guitars. Just google "Gibson Firebird History" and see what you get.

You may as well start with Gibson's brief article:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Gibson-Firebird-The-Birth-of-a-Tone-Machine.aspx
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

esp has a vaguely firebird-shaped model which might (I dunno for sure) be available with a trem.

They sure do, it's called the Phoenix. I think it's only made in the LTD version now, and it does not have a trem. I did read that the original ESP Phoenix did have a trem, but I can't find any info on it at all or even a picture. The LTD is a TOM bridge, but it's a neck-thru and even has the raised neck-thru plank like the Firebird.
^ thanks. yeah i had a vague recollection that at one point it had a trem but i wasn't sure if it did now.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for your input everyone. I gave up in the end and ended up buying a strat. Perhaps somebody should market a Gibson Firebirdy looking guitar with whammy bar? They would sell like hot cakes...
Congrats on the Strat.

Considering the lowish sales of the Firebird compared to their other models and people's general dislike of the shape I doubt that it would sell massively.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 5, 2013,