Hello internet. I need some help, I cannot decide weather or not to buy a new amp or a new guitar. I have a pretty nice Lin 6 Spider Jam amp but its not that great for recording, and one of the guitars that I use the most is starting to crap out on me. I found a really nice amp and a really nice guitar, but I cannot buy both so I need help trying to decide which one to get.
What amp and guitar are you looking at? What do you currently have? What are you using to record?

We need a lot more information than you've given us.
Im looking at a Randall RX120RH and RX412 Half Stack and a ESP LTD EX-360 guitar. Im using audacity to record from my amp that is connected to the computer with an audio cable.
Always buy used for guitars. Just know what you are looking at when inspecting it. That will save you money. Buy amps used if you can but go for new. I have the Ibanez Tone Blaster. IT gets the job done very nicely. If you like ESP's then go for a Laguna. Same feel and a little cheaper. Probably a Laguna LE300
<metallica-rules>
This depends a lot on your budget but I would definitely start with a new amp. That's a decent guitar, a Laguna would be a downgrade. So would a Toneblaster, actually. I think the guy above me just wants to tell you what he has, those aren't actually good suggestions given the gear you already picked out. What guitar and amp do you have now?

Your recording is probably hindered by your audio interface setup, not by your amp. If you want to start doing decent recording you'll want to have a USB interface of some sort. Something like a Vypyr or a Spider Valve would facilitate recording, if that's a priority. If you don't need to have a traditional amp, a POD would give you a really good recording setup for a lot less than an amp and a dedicated USB interface would cost.
Quote by csmetalmania
Always buy used for guitars. Just know what you are looking at when inspecting it. That will save you money. Buy amps used if you can but go for new. I have the Ibanez Tone Blaster. IT gets the job done very nicely. If you like ESP's then go for a Laguna. Same feel and a little cheaper. Probably a Laguna LE300

A bit out of topic but why used guitars but not amps? I feel exactly the opposite way - amps used, guitars new. I think that's because I feel that guitars are easier to break than amps or something (or harder to repair). And I would guess that amps last longer and don't require that much maintenance (if it's build like a tank, it will last). But you can easily ruin the playability of your guitar. Amp will either work or not. Also, guitars are more individuals than amps. What I mean with this is that the feel of two similar guitars can be different. But two similar amps sound similar. I just feel safer buying amps used than guitars.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I'm a fan of used for both. As long as it was taken care of, there are no worries.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
If you like the Explorer shape then there's nothing wrong with that guitar in my opinion. Once you set it up to your liking it should suit you well and you won't necessarily out grow it.

The amp is okay but nothing special. I don't hate Randall SS heads but there's better heads out there, especially if you want to record. I would recommend a Vypyr Tube 60. More versatile and better sounding, and it can connect directly to your computer. Used they are around 300-350 dollars.
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP