hey guys, so ive been using d,addario exl 116's for a while and I like them, but a few things about them I don't, 1. they don't seem to last long. 2. the tension seems a bit much in E standard. 3. they are a little slippery at first, to the point my fingers will slip off unwound strings from time to time while bending, I like smooth strings but they are a little over board at first. any suggetions on what I should try? preferably in the same gauge, I like thicker and bassy strings. would like to spend 6$ most on a single pack

Have a look at nakedstrings.com!

They make custom strings.
Yeah. Custom strings.

You gotta buy at least 5 sets per order, which cost $15 if the set is for a standard electric.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Oct 3, 2013,
Well one thing you say the tension seems a bit to much yet you want the same gauge strings. If you want less tension you'll need lighter strings, maybe just one step down.
Well That's The Thing, I Went Down To Exl115's, BuT They Just Didn't Have That Oomph, they also seem to rattle a lot on my fre Board, which is odd because the tension was not much different and my action is not that low. Maybe I Should Try A Diff Brand? Idk, Anybod Try those Naked Strings? Any Other Suggestions?
I use dunlop strings seem to work well enough. Used to swear by DR but started to get a lot of intonation problems with them.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I'm also a fan of Dunlop strings. I use 10-46. They last long and they stay in tune. I used to use Ernie Balls but they'd always break.
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Hmmm I Used Dunlop Before But Wasnt A Fan, Guess I Might TrY Them Again, Also Thought About EB Cobalts, BBut IM Not To Crazy About 10$ A pack
big fan of boomers
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
My buddy Uses Boomers As well, I Like Bassy Strings, What Are Some Of The Beefier Sounfing Strings, Not ToBright
beefy? not bright? then dont use stianless steels. why type of music do you play? there is a difference between thick and dull, just cause its bright doesnt mean it cant sound beefy. so my previous statement might be null. just in general, a more standard nickel string will not be as bright as stainless ones.

if i wanted beefy, i would really looking into hybrid or heavy bottom strings. i almost always play 9 or 10 heavy bottoms. the goal is that the smaller strings are still normal guage for easier soloing, but the bigger strings are +1 guage which makes for better bass response and better crunch with gain, etc. more boomy.

i am currently playing 9 heavy bottoms (9-46) on my carvin, 25 scale and i think they are there to stay. i have even thought about doing nakes strings custom set 9-50....but i am worries that is way too out of balance. 50 is about an 11 or 12 set E...probably disproportionate.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
beefy? not bright? then dont use stianless steels. why type of music do you play? there is a difference between thick and dull, just cause its bright doesnt mean it cant sound beefy. so my previous statement might be null. just in general, a more standard nickel string will not be as bright as stainless ones.

if i wanted beefy, i would really looking into hybrid or heavy bottom strings. i almost always play 9 or 10 heavy bottoms. the goal is that the smaller strings are still normal guage for easier soloing, but the bigger strings are +1 guage which makes for better bass response and better crunch with gain, etc. more boomy.

i am currently playing 9 heavy bottoms (9-46) on my carvin, 25 scale and i think they are there to stay. i have even thought about doing nakes strings custom set 9-50....but i am worries that is way too out of balance. 50 is about an 11 or 12 set E...probably disproportionate.

I play d,addario exl 116's, which are 11-52. I don't like thin strings, but I don't like the high tension either, so im torn
Quote by NateCochrane93
I play d,addario exl 116's, which are 11-52. I don't like thin strings, but I don't like the high tension either, so im torn

Thus maketh no sense.

Toughen thy fingers or change to 10's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/