I was watching a band that my band supported the other week, and as they were playing, the guitarist used a technique where he crossed his arms, and barred the strings with his right hand and played some legato/tapping with his left.

Does anyone know of this technique, its name, and some examples?
It's called "showing off". Generally the whole thing has no technical benefit and is just a party trick to put on a good show for the audience.

At a push you could say that reaching over with the other hand mutes the strings while you're doing some crazy legato but I can't think of any situation where doing so is actually necessary.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's called "showing off". Generally the whole thing has no technical benefit and is just a party trick to put on a good show for the audience.

At a push you could say that reaching over with the other hand mutes the strings while you're doing some crazy legato but I can't think of any situation where doing so is actually necessary.

The thing is, he wasn't muting them. He was moving has hand from (Let's say) the 7th fret, then the 5th, then the second. Almost like a moving capo. And it sounded ****ing awesome.
It sounds to me like showing off, you could achieve the same thing reversing hands?
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
Quote by IanSammiches
The thing is, he wasn't muting them. He was moving has hand from (Let's say) the 7th fret, then the 5th, then the second. Almost like a moving capo. And it sounded ****ing awesome.

Huh, interesting, not seen that before... or maybe I have, I don't know, but I know whatever it is it doesn't have a name.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Very interesting. Not sure what I'd call that, though I also don't think it needs a name, to be honest. Just do it. :p

Also, on a similar note, in terms of just muting with the right hand, Gus Drax does that with really large, fast legato string-skipping, to avoid ringouts that would be really difficult to block out otherwise. So, that's one possible application for that, Zaphod.
No one is ever beating this in terms of showing off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WqE_q3kFUM
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
^ aw come on so now I have to practise yo-yoing as well?

Quote by IanSammiches

yeah i'm guessing that'd work (the moving capo thing). that's probably what he was doing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sounds pretty cool whatever it is! I'll have to give that a try when I get back off holiday...
Sounds like you're just describing him using his right hand as a capo, so he can do pull-offs to "open" strings in a different key.
It can be useful.
Paul Gilbert does a similar thing in a few videos...sorta...only he has a guy to hold down the frets for him, so his right hand is free to do picking.
Things with strings:
Ibanez J.Custom, Prestiges, RG8, SR5 bass etc
LP's, Strat, Tele
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
No one is ever beating this in terms of showing off.

He's still showing off....He's a better musician than I, with just the use of his friggin eyes...... F#$K I need to go practice now.
So he used his right hand to barre the frets and his index, middle and pinky to hit some big stretches...

Sounds like something I should practice.