I have an Ibanez RG5 with a Floyd Rose tremolo, and it's my baby; i love it to death. However, what really pisses me off is the fact that I gotta keep it in standard. I play a lot of metal/metalcore type of stuff and alot of it is dropped tunings.
I do have a hard tail guitar as well, but it only has 21 frets and I can't do much on it. Money is tight right now, so buying a new guitar is not an option.
Is there any possible way I can be able to put the RG in dropped tunings? I have heard of the Tremol No, but I don't know if it would work for me or not...is it any good? and if I install it, would I still be able to use the tremolo bar for dive bombs, vibrato, etc.? Money doesnt grow on trees, and I'm cheap as hell at the moment, so I might consider getting one but I'm not so sure...are there cheaper alternatives?

Thanks! \m/
You don't have to keep floyd roses in standard tunings. It's just that as you add higher tension strings (or more tension for whatever tuning you are in), you need to add tension to the springs in the back of the tremolo unit. This can be done by either increasing springs, or tightening the spring claw further into the body, or both.

If you were to go from 9-42 set to a 11-48 and also change from E standard to D standard, you probably wouldn't have to do much to the spring tension, as they probably cause roughly the same amount of string tension. This is only rough. This isn't to say every .001 gauge higher you go on the E is another semi-tone down you can tune.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Yeah, putting floyds in lower tunings is perfectly possible you just can't play about with tunings very easily; that's one of the reasons I don't recommend them to beginners.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by solitudeswordma
However, what really pisses me off is the fact that I gotta keep it in standard. I play a lot of metal/metalcore type of stuff and alot of it is dropped tunings.
I do have a hard tail guitar as well, but it only has 21 frets and I can't do much on it. /

I'm getting more and more pleased with my Variax JTV 89F.
Flat radius (16"), jumbo frets, Floyd, 24 frets, 25.5" scale, a thinner neck than the Les Paul model. The thing that would really tickle you is that you can drop tune the thing all the way to Drop Bb (and beyond, if you need to) by just rotating the alternate tuning dial. And the tension on the strings never changes, you can bend just as you always did, etc., yada. I think it may be the only way to go with alternate (drop) tunings and a Floyd.
you need this. but it only does the low E
http://www.dtuna.com/index.php
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I use a Tremol-no on an RG prestige. It does make the floyd rose hassle free. Just put the bridge into hard-tail and you can drop tune without having to re-float the bridge. Same for changing strings if you change one string at a time. When using the whammy bar I just take the clamp off and this is no different to having no tremol-no on at all.
Tremol-no will make your Floyd stiffer and some floyd tricks won't be the same.. I didn't like it and uninstalled it.
Quote by Deledhel
Tremol-no will make your Floyd stiffer and some floyd tricks won't be the same.. I didn't like it and uninstalled it.

Maybe you didn't install it properly. Also you can just take the clamp off. Can't really see why what you're stating is any good reason not to buy one.
So are you going to change between tunings frequently or stay in one tuning? If it's just one tuning, a Floyd can do whatever tuning. You just need to set it up for the new tuning (or as said - just buy thicker strings and you may not even have to do a setup).

But if you are going to alternate between standard and drop tunings all the time, I don't know. Floyds don't do that well. I would maybe buy another guitar for different tunings. Are any songs you play in standard tuning?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
i found the tremol-no a bit fiddly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?