6 16%
1 year
3 8%
Half a year
5 14%
Few months
8 22%
Voters: 37.
So Machinima put up the following question on Facetube: "Which game actually made you cry when you finished it?"

I'm not going to say what game but someone wrote along the lines of "*game* because *character* died" and someone said "Thanks for the spoiler".

Said game came out 2 years ago so generally whoever would have wanted to play it would have done so by now so my question is:

How long after release do you deem it acceptable to openly talk about the plot of a story?

Imagine you are with a group of say 6 friends. 5 of you have seen a certain film that came out 2 years ago and the sequel has just been announced. You all start talking about it excitedly but the 1 person who hasn't seen it doesn't want to talk about because it might be spoiled but surely if they were really worried about spoilers, they would have seen the film by now. Would you state that he has had plenty of time to see it so he shouldnt be that bothered and keep talking about it or leave it until he's not around?

Putting aside the sounding-like-a-dick part of course
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
idk depends on context. If my friend thinks his gonna see it eventually im not gonna be a dick about it.

Also MGS3 made me cry idgaf
Quote by Colgate Total
Three months after a game. A month after a movie. Week after a tv show.
Pretty much this. Except for a movie. I'd say 2 or 3 months later.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
If you go in somewhere online that will obviously have spoilers you shouldn't be surprised when you find them, like in the comments of a question about what games made you cry when you finished it.

Kinda regardless of how long it has been out, if it's newer it's even more likely there will be a spoiler
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Oct 3, 2013,
5+ years is the best poll option, but if someone tells you not to spoil something it doesn't give you the right to bypass it just because it's 5 years old. The general rule is to just not be a dickhead and don't go throwing spoilers around unless you're in the right context to do so.

Spoiling is like my all time biggest pet peeve. People who purposefully spoil stuff should kill themselves.
I think I would give a movie a year due to someone maybe not being able to afford the cinema fee and having to wait for DVD. For games, I would give 6 months again down to money. They might get it in a sale at Christmas/Summer. For TV shows, a week is enough because most people will have either watched it when it went live or on demand (on iPlayer, they generally stay up for a week).

Quote by GuitarGod_92
5+ years is the best poll option, but if someone tells you not to spoil something it doesn't give you the right to bypass it just because it's 5 years old. The general rule is to just not be a dickhead and don't go throwing spoilers around unless you're in the right context to do so.

Spoiling is like my all time biggest pet peeve. People who purposefully spoil stuff should kill themselves.

Well yeah, if it was just me and a friend and I had seen it and they hadn't, I wouldnt just go talking about it. A better example would be like in the comments section of something like was said above. People will go in expecting spoilers but still write "Thanks for the spoiler".

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Oct 3, 2013,
I still don't know who killed Laura Palmer and don't want it talked about without spoilers. Only talk about endings with people who know what happens, no point ruining a great show/film for somebody just because you want to talk about it.

So no time limit.
Quote by Colgate Total

ehhhh, new games are expensive, and most movies are out for longer than a month.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by Duffman123
I still don't know who killed Laura Palmer and don't want it talked about without spoilers. Only talk about endings with people who know what happens, no point ruining a great show/film for somebody just because you want to talk about it.

So no time limit.

it was the sherrif
should always ask everyone in the group whether they've seen/read/played it, or if they care about spoilers.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
I ask if they're seen/read/played then ask if they mind spoilers. Most of my friends ask me before they say anything.

The ending to Hamlet was totally spoiled in class today though. Too soon.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
It was Far Cry, wasn't it TS? Because Citra dies or your girlfriend dies.

edit: that only came out a year ago? shittttt. I don't know what game you're thinking of then.
Quote by Trowzaa
It was Far Cry, wasn't it TS? Because Citra dies or your girlfriend dies.

edit: that only came out a year ago? shittttt. I don't know what game you're thinking of then.

Nice try (I ****ing love that game)

It was in fact
Gears Of War 3. Apparently a guy called Dom dies. Never played it myself however.

Quote by angusfan16
If you're talking about something specifically with someone (A specific game or movie in this case) you should always ask first whether they've finished it first before you discuss it.

That said, you should probably wait at least 5 years before you go throwing the spoilers about willy nilly.

Ex: "Hey man, did you see that thing in X? (With X being the main topic of discussion) It totally reminded me of this part from Y where the main character.........

In this case, Y should be at least 5 years old before a reference is made.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
When someone starts spoiling something, you have about 3 seconds to say, "STFU I HAVEN'T SEEN/PLAYED THAT YET!!!!" If you don't manage to do so, then **** you for being so slow that you miss the window.

If you're hanging out with people you know have already played and finished the game, but you're not sure that EVERYONE there has, it's perfectly okay to talk about it. If someone says, "Yo, I haven't played that yet," but everyone else has and they want to talk about it, he doesn't have the RIGHT to not hear spoilers. It can be a dick move to spoil something for someone, but if there are like 7 people hanging out, and 6 of them have already finished it, the 7th shouldn't get to determine the conversation.
Anybody that cares about the 'plot' of a video game is a knob.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Not everyone plays just CoD yo.

Quote by angusfan16
Unless they've completed the game, never. I still don't want to know the end of Skyrim. I've been playing it off and on for a year or so.
Final Fantasy X. I don't even really like Final Fantasy personally but that's the only one I managed to play through all the way without eventually quitting and it just

so much sad
Quote by Colgate Total

Probably good enough measure. If spoiler brackets exist, use them no matter what cause it takes like two seconds.

I don't really care that much anyway. If the enjoyment of the media is so dependent on a reveal to derive enjoyment its probably not good anyway
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Arby911

Clearly, you've never played The Walking Dead.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by Arby911

anyone that legitimately thinks this is a knob
When a topic like this comes up, I always say, "so-and-so dies at the end" regardless whether or not I know the ending or whether or not so-and-so actually dies at the end.

People actually believe it until the very end when so-and-so doesn't die and question, "I though so-and-so was really going to die, T_T"

Poll: 6 months
Quote by Grundy0
Never forget what really matters in life, friends and family.
Team Pale Yellow?
------m-------m------
| | (oo) | |
||(~)||

Mom <3
i wish there was an option for sooner than a few months. people that bitch about spoilers are scum. get the **** over the fictional thing you're involved with and learning slightly sooner than you naturally would have
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.