Hi all,

I really need some help. I have Fernandes Sustainer installed on my guitar and I change the bridge pickup VH-401 which comes with the sustainer kit to Dimarzio DP100 Super Distortion and now the sustainer is not working properly. It just doesn't work on some frets especially on the 2 higher strings. Also the 3 modes on the switch (infinite sustain, mix of infinite and harmonic, and harmonic from top to bottom) have been changed upsides down and now the harmonic is on the top and the infinite is on the bottom. I have 2 other guitars with the same and sustainer and the infinite is supposed to be on top and harmonic on the bottom. I took it to a repair Center to get the pickup replaced and I think the guy wasn't familiar with the sustainer system.
If anyone is familiar with the system, any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Don't mess with it, take it back to where you got the pickup installed and have them fix it.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The repair guys was not able to fix it. He was adjusting AGC FGC MBC etc as well as the height of the pickups and he was just not familar with it. Im not even going to try to fix it as Im sure i'd just mess it up even more.
could you post a picture of the Wiring?

in the future take a picture before you work on anything 9 out of 10 times you will not need it but that one time really sucks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by MG-340X
The repair guys was not able to fix it. He was adjusting AGC FGC MBC etc as well as the height of the pickups and he was just not familar with it. Im not even going to try to fix it as Im sure i'd just mess it up even more.

I believe the heights of the pickups are very important for the sustainer, unless I'm mistaken, wouldn't explain the switches but could be a part of the problem.
Quote by MG-340X

Then find another repair shop, and have them foot the bill. When a tech messes up, they have to cover for their mistakes one way or another, period.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Yes I do think this need to go to a different shop. After the guy adjust the rod, frat buzzing is everywhere too

I've been calling different repair shops but none of them were familiar with Feenandes sustainer system. One shop said he is familiar with it but will take about 3 weeks to figure it out for $200 min. Basically not familiar w it. I've called fernandes USA (mine is Fernandes Japan) and they wouldn't help either.

I can't really upload a diagram but here is the link to the manual w scchimatics.
Mine is w 3 way pickup selector
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/support/downloads/doc_download/1-fsk-101-installation-manual.html

Can anyone refer me to someone who knows it in South Florida region. I'd be veryuxj appreciated.
Quote by MG-340X
Yes I do think this need to go to a different shop. After the guy adjust the rod, frat buzzing is everywhere too

I've been calling different repair shops but none of them were familiar with Feenandes sustainer system. One shop said he is familiar with it but will take about 3 weeks to figure it out for $200 min. Basically not familiar w it. I've called fernandes USA (mine is Fernandes Japan) and they wouldn't help either.

I can't really upload a diagram but here is the link to the manual w scchimatics.
Mine is w 3 way pickup selector
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/support/downloads/doc_download/1-fsk-101-installation-manual.html

Can anyone refer me to someone who knows it in South Florida region. I'd be veryuxj appreciated.

How far down in South FL?

Can you put everything back in and wire it the way it was before? Then see if that works, then wire the new one back in.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
It was done at a show. I could open the other guitar and compare but I'd just be lost and I don't wanna mess it up. Yea I'm lame.

Anywhere I'm in Fort Lauderdale/Miami region
Quote by MG-340X
It was done at a show. I could open the other guitar and compare but I'd just be lost and I don't wanna mess it up. Yea I'm lame.

Anywhere I'm in Fort Lauderdale/Miami region

Not anyone i know of. I am in the tampa/st Pete area. I have never taken gear to shop, but there is a guy that i was recommended for getting a nut cut on one guitar a refret. I never got around to calling him though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Ok that's too far for me to get to. I just hope it's not completely distroyed
Quote by MG-340X
Ok that's too far for me to get to. I just hope it's not completely distroyed

I am sure it is not completely destroyed. it is just an electronic circuit . The tech fugged up, bring it back.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I am sure it is not completely destroyed. it is just an electronic circuit . The tech fugged up, bring it back.

+1

especially since it's all passive. i am sure the pickup wasn't burnt out or anything
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
+1

especially since it's all passive. i am sure the pickup wasn't burnt out or anything

Now that i think about it i think sustainers are 9V.

Still put the previous puckup in and see if it works, then go from there.

Take a dvom to the + and - if each individual coil. Have it on 10k ohms (omega symbol) and if you see a number popped up that means you have continuity. If it does you are fine.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I honstly don't know how to install a pickup. I'm totally ******ed when it comes yo electronics. i just working in finance on the ground fly plalers in the air haha
I'd help, but I'm in New Smyrna Beach so that'd be a little drive.

Take it back and either get your money back or have them fix it. Any way you look at it is their fault not yours, have them make it right
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Installing a new pick up and the incredibly shitty set up, he charged me 60. Whatever I just don't wanna go back there have him f-it up even more.
I found this please that ain't too far from me anyone know if their good?
http://theguitarexchange.com/index.htm
So I wanted to let you guys know that i've fixed the problems.. I did go to the guitar exchange and he couldn't fix the problem. then i got a reply from from DiMarzio tech support for the solution to the first problem (1 below) and saw the solution to the second problem (2.) on the fernandes sustainer manual so i took it back to the first guy who replaced the bridge pickup.

1. Reversing the phase of the replaced bridge pickup by reversing the red and green connections -> the 3 modes on the sustainer switch reserved back to its original positions (normal sustain on the top and harmonic sustain on the bottom, mix in the middle). I don't know the logic behind it but i just found this solution on another forum.

2. installing the bridge pickup upside down (S/N) improved the sustainer drastically even on the high e string. it was too strong, i had to reduced the sustainer gain on the back of the circuitboard.

Thank you for all your help!
Quote by MG-340X
So I wanted to let you guys know that i've fixed the problems.. I did go to the guitar exchange and he couldn't fix the problem. then i got a reply from from DiMarzio tech support for the solution to the first problem (1 below) and saw the solution to the second problem (2.) on the fernandes sustainer manual so i took it back to the first guy who replaced the bridge pickup.

1. Reversing the phase of the replaced bridge pickup by reversing the red and green connections -> the 3 modes on the sustainer switch reserved back to its original positions (normal sustain on the top and harmonic sustain on the bottom, mix in the middle). I don't know the logic behind it but i just found this solution on another forum.

2. installing the bridge pickup upside down (S/N) improved the sustainer drastically even on the high e string. it was too strong, i had to reduced the sustainer gain on the back of the circuitboard.

Thank you for all your help!

good. i am glad everything ended up well,
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!