Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for an amp that I can get a good sludgy doomy sound. Any suggestions? I have a cab with 4 v30's and my guitar has a Bareknuckle Aftermath. My price range is anywhere from 0 to about 1000 U.S. dollars.
cig
Are you looking for something new or are you willing to go used?

I'd go with a JCM800 or something similarly voiced (Peavey VTM, Laney AOR, etc).
Find a used orange. Thunderverb or something like that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Find a used orange. Thunderverb or something like that.

The TS's budget is $1000 USD so I assume he is in the US. Even on the used market it can be hard to find an Orange for under a grand.
You may not have thought of this one before, but have you might want to look into a Marshall Mode Four amplifier head. They're kind of an oddity because they were a 350 watt hybrid Marshall with two independent preamps. The second channel of the second preamp is definitely capable of handling a doom metal sound, and the tone matrix knob on it allows you to change the tone of the amp a bit in terms of how the mid range responds, so you get a lot of tonal variation out of one amp. Definitely something I would look into if I were you.
Sunn beta series amps usually run around $500 USD and would definitely work for that. the bass and lead versions are close enough that you would be able to use either (slight tone stack differences is all)

Laney AOR's, like I_am_metalhead suggested, are pretty sweet, and can be had pretty cheap.
Old Bassman and a good fuzz pedal.
TH30 doesn't really do doom. My mate keeps his one at my place, basically it only does thrash well.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by godgrinder
Old Bassman and a good fuzz pedal.
TH30 doesn't really do doom. My mate keeps his one at my place, basically it only does thrash well.

Sounds doomy to me... It can also do thrash, but not limited to it if you know how to set it up right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8GmFg8PlL8
Quote by Blackfire.
Sounds doomy to me... It can also do thrash, but not limited to it if you know how to set it up right.

That doesn't sound too different from the thrash tone it does really...

I've spent lots of time with the amp, without external help from an EQ pedal or something like that it's quite hard to get a good doom tone out of it due to the shape control design. Turn the shape knob over 12 o'clock and it just does that scooped thrash sound (the 2nd video you posted sounded like that). Works slightly better for doom with the shape knob before 12 o'clock but it hardly has enough lows that way (that's what the 1st video you posted sounded like).

It does an alright stoner tone if you smash the clean channel with a booster/od though.
Last edited by godgrinder at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by godgrinder
That doesn't sound too different from the thrash tone it does really...

I've spent lots of time with the amp, without external help from an EQ pedal or something like that it's quite hard to get a good doom tone out of it due to the shape control design. Turn the shape knob over 12 o'clock and it just does that scooped thrash sound (the 2nd video you posted sounded like that). Works slightly better for doom with the shape knob before 12 o'clock but it hardly has enough lows that way (that's what the 1st video you posted sounded like).

It does an alright stoner tone if you smash the clean channel with a booster/od though.

That's why you use the EQ as you stated, which makes it capable. But to each his own.
Quote by Blackfire.
That's why you use the EQ as you stated, which makes it capable. But to each his own.

At the same price (or less) he could buy a much more capable amp for doom, and TH30 isn't even cheap, especially for a Made in China amp.
Ampeg? Sunn?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by godgrinder
At the same price (or less) he could buy a much more capable amp for doom, and TH30 isn't even cheap.

It has versatility to play other types of music as well, unless the OP has more amps for that which was not stated. And I'm sure it can be easily found compared to some other amps, and it's in his price range.
Quote by Blackfire.
It has versatility to play other types of music as well, unless the OP has more amps for that which was not stated. And I'm sure it can be easily found compared to some other amps, and it's in his price range.

Versatile is probably the last word I would associate with it.
But it's a goddamn GREAT thrash amp.
Quote by godgrinder
Versatile is probably the last word I would associate with it.
But it's a goddamn GREAT thrash amp.

You got that right. But it also has a nice clean on it which opens it up to more genres. It will need an EQ for sure though.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 4, 2013,
My Thunderverb 50 can get a killer doom sound, but finding one under a grand might be a problem :P

I saw a Sunn Model T go on eBay a few months back for like $1100, that'd be pretty bitchin.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
My Thunderverb 50 can get a killer doom sound, but finding one under a grand might be a problem :P

Nice amp!

Quote by MatrixClaw
I saw a Sunn Model T go on eBay a few months back for like $1100, that'd be pretty bitchin.

That brings up another good point though. We don't know if it's for bedroom use or for gigging. That Model T could blow his bedroom windows out...
A friend of mine had a Model T reissue, he said the Burn channel on Fender Super Sonic sounded almost identical to the dist channel of Model T reissue. So that might be a good option too. Used Super Sonic 60 seem to be around the $600-700 mark.

Quote by Blackfire.
That brings up another good point though. We don't know if it's for bedroom use or for gigging. That Model T could blow his bedroom windows out...

Model T has a 25w/100w switch.
i have a peavey valveking 100w head that on it's own doesn't doom very well but i found a random DOD fuzz pedal for like $25 at my local brick and mortar that works wonders. barring that, double your budget and get one of these 180w bad boys http://www.greenamps.com/order.html
nice Used options for you lucky US folk

Sunn Beta Lead/Bass
Laney AOR
Sound City 120L
Sovtek Mig
Ampeg V2/V4
Marshall JCM 800
Fender Silverface Bassman
Fender SUper twin (These are 180w open backed combos. Not the best combination and as a result they are cheap. You get one, turn it into a head and run it through a cab. Bam. 180w Twin for doomin')

So grab one of these or anything similair, plus a wicket fuzz pedal. SOmething like the blackout effectors Musket/Blunderbuss, EQD Hoof, Black arts toneworks Pharoah, Blakemore Deus Ex Machina, Anarchy Audio vagiant, Fredric Green Russian, Red witch Fuzz God 2 or Wren and cuff box of war or tall font russian. Any rams head or russian muff clone will suffice really.

You gon be doomin for days
Last edited by T7E at Oct 4, 2013,
Laney AOR 50/100
Sovtek MIG 50/100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall JMP
Orange OR80/120 (I doubt you'll find one <$1000 though)
Krank 1980
Krank Chadwick (series 1 or 2 will work)
Park amp

Your cab will create a big problem if you want a big,loose Stoner sound. V30's are very tight modern sounding speakers, G12h30 type speakers will work much better.

Ninja^^
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Laney AOR 50/100
Sovtek MIG 50/100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall JMP
Orange OR80/120 (I doubt you'll find one <$1000 though)
Krank 1980
Krank Chadwick (series 1 or 2 will work)
Park amp

Your cab will create a big problem if you want a big,loose Stoner sound. V30's are very tight modern sounding speakers, G12h30 type speakers will work much better.

Ninja^^

one minute. excellent
but nah you covered the cabs, which I did not, as well as them Kranks, I forgot about them

The Krank guy is Stiff amps now yeah? Does he do a 1980/chadwick reissue type deal?
Quote by T7E
one minute. excellent
but nah you covered the cabs, which I did not, as well as them Kranks, I forgot about them

The Krank guy is Stiff amps now yeah? Does he do a 1980/chadwick reissue type deal?

Yeah The Stiff 90-AD is the 1980. The Chadwick is not rebadged, but used they are only $500-$600. There are 2 versions a 1 channel JMPish style head and the 2 channel series 2 which has a great clean and a HR-Plexi type tone. Really good amps if you ever get the chance to try one.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by T7E
So grab one of these or anything similair, plus a wicket fuzz pedal. SOmething like the blackout effectors Musket/Blunderbuss, EQD Hoof, Black arts toneworks Pharoah, Blakemore Deus Ex Machina, Anarchy Audio vagiant, Fredric Green Russian, Red witch Fuzz God 2 or Wren and cuff box of war or tall font russian. Any rams head or russian muff clone will suffice really.

Or a Boss FZ-2 for brutal crushing sonic destruction.

Big clean amp + Hi gain fuzz = the business. My first amp was a 70's local made Bassman clone, used to run FZ-2 or DBA Fuzz War (or both, with FZ-2 in boost mode pushing the Fuzz War) into it, shit was brutal.
Quote by godgrinder
Or a Boss FZ-2 for brutal crushing sonic destruction.

Big clean amp + Hi gain fuzz = the business. My first amp was a 70's local made Bassman clone, used to run FZ-2 or DBA Fuzz War into it, shit was brutal.

Yeah, you could get like a more straightforward one like a musket and then get a crazy noisey fuzz like the Fz-2 going on. cover some serious ground.

You mind dropping me the name of the local builder of yours? That's if he like makes them somewhat regularly and as a company or whatever. I am just looking for somewhat local options for stuff like that. I have explored all my options here in Aus pretty much.
Quote by T7E
You mind dropping me the name of the local builder of yours? That's if he like makes them somewhat regularly and as a company or whatever. I am just looking for somewhat local options for stuff like that. I have explored all my options here in Aus pretty much.

For pedal we usually use this guy:
https://www.facebook.com/PepersPedals

There isn't really anyone actively cloning amps here at the moment, I would say have a check at this website and see if you can find some old OZ tube amps for cheap locally:
http://www.ozvalveamps.org/

Quote by T7E
Yeah, you could get like a more straightforward one like a musket and then get a crazy noisey fuzz like the Fz-2 going on. cover some serious ground

FZ-2 does a straightforward muff-ish sound on mode 1 as well, although I have to say it sounds rather mediocre...
Have you seen the Monster FX Mastortion pedal? That looks like a cool Hi-gain Fuzz
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by godgrinder
For pedal we usually use this guy:
https://www.facebook.com/PepersPedals

There isn't really anyone actively cloning amps here at the moment, I would say have a check at this website and see if you can find some old OZ tube amps for cheap locally:
http://www.ozvalveamps.org/

yeah nah i am absolutely covered for local boutique pedals, have a couple, including an absolutely RAUCOUS double fuzz.

yeah I keep an eye on that website actually, generally for guys making new stuff though, of which there are quite a few, I'm just trying to cover all my bases,

EDIT: oops, confused ozvalveamps with aussieguitargearheads, thanks man
Quote by Robbgnarly
Have you seen the Monster FX Mastortion pedal? That looks like a cool Hi-gain Fuzz

Pretty sure it was just an dist/od. I looked into it a while ago since I quite like Mastodon and it seems like it wasn't even in production anymore.
Quote by godgrinder
Pretty sure it was just an dist/od. I looked into it a while ago since I quite like Mastodon and it seems like it wasn't even in production anymore.

No they are making them still. They claim it is a Hi-gain Fuzz pedal

they sound pretty cool, but I don't spend $200+ on a pedal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
No they are making them still. They claim it is a Hi-gain Fuzz pedal
they sound pretty cool, but I don't spend $200+ on a pedal.

Did you happen to mix it up with something else? The website said overdrive. I was looking into it last year and I'm pretty sure they didn't say it was a fuzz back then either... And it sounds like it's more on the mid/low gain side.
Quote by godgrinder

Model T has a 25w/100w switch.

So? Wattage doesn't equal volume. A perfect example being the Vox AC30 (30 watts; Loud as all hell).
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Robbgnarly

they sound pretty cool, but I don't spend $200+ on overdrive/fuzz pedals.

FTFY
Quote by godgrinder
Did you happen to mix it up with something else? The website said overdrive. I was looking into it last year and I'm pretty sure they didn't say it was a fuzz back then either... And it sounds like it's more on the mid/low gain side.

Your right, they are not making them any more, but you can custom order them. I was checking them out a few weeks ago and there was a website that still had one (or more) in-stock, that's why I thought they were still made.

Did a quick search and the pedal is no longer available.

I saw a video of the owner of Monster and Brent talking about it. One of them referred to it as a hi-gain fuzz

Didn't Sleep use AOR's and the FZ-2 for a while? I know they used the AOR.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Didn't Sleep use AOR's and the FZ-2 for a while? I know they used the AOR.

Matt Pike used AOR for sure, not sure if he used FZ-2.

Jus Oborn from Electric Wizard uses FZ-2. The other guitarist Liz seems to plug straight into an AOR.

Quote by Maineguitarist
So? Wattage doesn't equal volume. A perfect example being the Vox AC30 (30 watts; Loud as all hell).

Yes you are right but that really depends on the amp design. Watts for amps usually means the clean headroom they have, but how loud they can get depends on the power output when they are absolutely cranked and that probably varies quite a bit between designs. How good it sounds cranked would have something to do with the perceived usable volume as well.

The 25w mode would still be quieter than the 100w mode for sure. It won't be the "don't wake the baby" volume but it probably won't "blow his bedroom windows out" at least.

But seriously, you came into the wrong thread. Don't really want some second hand regurgitated forum knowledge from someone whose favourite band is Green Day and uses a 20 watt solid state combo.
Quote by Blackfire.
Not all of them..

all of the ones around his price range. the original 70's model t's, which are completely different amps than the reissues, go for around $14-1500, reissues closer to $1000.
Quote by godgrinder
A friend of mine had a Model T reissue, he said the Burn channel on Fender Super Sonic sounded almost identical to the dist channel of Model T reissue. So that might be a good option too. Used Super Sonic 60 seem to be around the $600-700 mark.

The Model T Reissue literally sounds nothing like the original.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2