I dont know shit about equipment and i was hoping someone could give me some idea of what type of head, cab and effect pedals i should get. I want a metal tone kinda like a combination of whitechapel's in their self titled album, born of osiris' in the discovery, and the word alive's in the deceiver. My budget would be like 800 dollars probably so obviously i cant just copy their set ups, but i want to have a solid tone that doesnt sound amateur.
Line 6 POD X3 or POD HD ($300-450)
ART SLA-2 ($250)
Marshall 1960 or Line 6 Spider Valve 412/Vetta II 412 ($350)

EDIT: All used prices, obviously. Pretty damn cheap way to get instant djent/deathcore tone. I might recommend the X3 over the HD for those tones, actually. Just keep an eye on eBay and Craigslist - people like to overcharge for them. Format is up to you (X3 Live vs X3 Pro & HD500 vs HD Pro)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Oct 4, 2013,
Thanks a lot. I do already own a Marshall cab and head, but they're not very modern. The cab is a mono not a stereo, would that sound fine with one of the set ups you listed or do I need to get a stereo cab?
Does your Marshall head has an FX loop? If so you just need to buy a POD and plug that into the FX loop return.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
Quote by FifthThirdBank
Thanks a lot. I do already own a Marshall cab and head, but they're not very modern. The cab is a mono not a stereo, would that sound fine with one of the set ups you listed or do I need to get a stereo cab?

What models do you have? You don't need a stereo cab, you can bridge the poweramp.

Quote by godgrinder
Does your Marshall head has an FX loop? If so you just need to buy a POD and plug that into the FX loop return.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The head is a Marshall MK II Super Lead 100w. I dont know what kind of cab it is. But how do i tell if it has an fx loop and what is an fx loop? and how do i bridge the power amp? sorry, like i said i dont know shit
A MKII Super Lead wouldn't have an effects loop. And if the cab is matching, the speakers won't do you a whole lot of good for those tones either. An effects loop is a pair of jacks where the preamp circuit is broken and tapped off, so that you can place effects after distortion, and then a return jack reconnects the circuit to the power amp. The return jack is commonly used as a power amp in, where you can just connect different preamps up.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
So i wouldnt be able to get the tones i want with that head and cab? even with something like pod x3 or art sla-2?
Quote by mmolteratx
And if the cab is matching, the speakers won't do you a whole lot of good for those tones either.

They would probably have Greenbacks and despite what lots of people think, Greenbacks are actually pretty sweet in hi gain applications. And the 5150 III cabs come with Greenbacks by default.

Quote by FifthThirdBank
So i wouldnt be able to get the tones i want with that head and cab? even with something like pod x3 or art sla-2?

Your cab would still be usable, but if you've been playing through a good tube amp then you might find an all solid state setup a little bit... dry to say at least.

But hey, you have 800 bucks and you already have a cab, how about an used head? I'm pretty sure you can get an used EVH 5150 III 50w at that price. Whitechapel use those. Or you can get a Peavey 6505 120w head at that price which is like an older version of the EVH amp. Check the Guitarcenter website.
Last edited by godgrinder at Oct 5, 2013,
Quote by godgrinder
They would probably have Greenbacks and despite what lots of people think, Greenbacks are actually pretty sweet in hi gain applications. And the 5150 III cabs come with Greenbacks by default.

Agreed, but not for a Djent type tone. I've used 412s and 212s loaded with them for thrash, doom, and other heavy stuff, but the Djent tone relies pretty heavily on a mid range peak, and the Greenback isn't so good at that, since they're more balanced. And the 5153 is (supposed to be) aimed at the EVH tones, which are all about a Greenback style speaker. I suspect the original 5150 (II) would have come with Greenbacks if Peavey were willing to jack up the cab price. They definitely add a more vintage flair to the tone, especially in the low end when the volume is high, and they tend to flub out more easily when pushed as well.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by godgrinder

Your cab would still be usable, but if you've been playing through a good tube amp then you might find an all solid state setup a little bit... dry to say at least.

But hey, you have 800 bucks and you already have a cab, how about an used head? I'm pretty sure you can get an used EVH 5150 III 50w at that price. Whitechapel use those. Or you can get a Peavey 6505 120w head at that price which is like an older version of the EVH amp. Check the Guitarcenter website.

My friend came over with a fender mustang v head, and he said he could only play it through half of the cab because its a mono cab. and he said im stuck with the marshall head because of that. Is that true or could i get an evh or some other head that would be able to handle the tone i want and sound solid through my cab?

and mmolteratx, so my head is for sure no good?
An MKII Super Lead is a fantastic amp. But certainly no good for the sound you are looking at. You could sell the hell out of that for some rad gear though.
Quote by FifthThirdBank
My friend came over with a fender mustang v head, and he said he could only play it through half of the cab because its a mono cab. and he said im stuck with the marshall head because of that. Is that true or could i get an evh or some other head that would be able to handle the tone i want and sound solid through my cab?

Nah he probably has no idea about what he's talking about or he wired things up wrong. You can get the EVH head and it will work with your cab.

Quote by mmolteratx
Agreed, but not for a Djent type tone. I've used 412s and 212s loaded with them for thrash, doom, and other heavy stuff, but the Djent tone relies pretty heavily on a mid range peak, and the Greenback isn't so good at that, since they're more balanced. And the 5153 is (supposed to be) aimed at the EVH tones, which are all about a Greenback style speaker. I suspect the original 5150 (II) would have come with Greenbacks if Peavey were willing to jack up the cab price. They definitely add a more vintage flair to the tone, especially in the low end when the volume is high, and they tend to flub out more easily when pushed as well.

The 3 bands he mentioned are hardly djent though, I think he can somehow manage. He's better off spending all $800 on a head at this stage, if he's not happy about the cab after all then he can swap the speakers or something.
^lol nope.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
For real heavy HD gain and major overdrive get a Boss GT8.

No.
so will an evh head have pre amp settings to get that tone or something? like why would an evh be better with pod farm than my marshall?
Quote by FifthThirdBank
so will an evh head have pre amp settings to get that tone or something? like why would an evh be better with pod farm than my marshall?

You don't need a POD with the EVH, it will basically do the tone you need out of the box.