So I'm moving to Australia next year for school and I need a mobile phone for about 6 or 7 months. I looked up some companies and they all charge a lot for basic plans. Telstra's cheapest plan is $50 a month. That's hella crazy. Virgin keeps mentioning Oz and I couldn't figure out that it's just slang for Australia.
I found out Optus has a plan for $25 a month and that's really good.

Does anyone know how reliable Optus is as a mobile phone carrier? Reviews? Other subscriber here?
Where abouts in Australia are you moving? Optus and Telstra are the two biggest providers. Telstra have the most coverage, and so rip everyone off. Optus are pretty good too, depends where you live though.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Telstra has the best coverage and the best product overall. They have the most money and the most/best infrastructure.

Optus has pretty reliable coverage but it's not that much cheaper than telstra generally. Sometimes it's more expensive.

I'm on TPG, who use optus infrastructure. I'm paying $10 a month with an unlocked phone (bought separately) with $180 included calls.
Never had a problem with Optus, Telstra or Vodafone in Melbourne. It just comes down to price at that point. It only begins getting real patchy when leavin the big cities. Then they're all as bad as one another anyway
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I'm with Aldi mobile.
Prepaid. Use's Telstra's network (so you can use any telstra locked phone with aldi's sim card and it still works for some reason...)
$35 a month will get you unlimited voice and text and 5 gb of data.
That's about the best you will get in Australia.
Get a cheap unlocked or telstra locked android phone to work with it (you can pick them up as cheap as $40 bucks if you know where to look) and your good to go.

Avoid Vodafone, as they have the most shocking phone reception ever.
With vodafone I had to leave my house and walk onto my front lawn just to get a wimpy 2 bars of coverage.
Telstra is shockingly expensive and overpriced but has the best reception.

Get aldi. One of the cheapest price, best reception and value for money, shocking customer service but you shouldnt run into any problems....
METAL!
Optus is alright. Telstra prices are ridiculous.

I use TPG, pay $15 a month (think it is $20 if you are not a home internet customer) and get $450 calls per month, 1.5gb data. Had no problems with coverage really, unless you go to places where coverage is pretty much terrible for all companies.
You're going to find yourself thinking "that price is ridiculous" with everything btw
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Extra Ordinary
Mostly in Melbourne but I'll be spending some time elsewhere which isn't so much of a problem.

llucckkyyyyy

I think you can get like an unlimited call/text plan that you recharge each month for like 30-40 bucks with optus?

maybe it was vodaphone, I can't remember

And with the phones that you do month to month on you can just pick up a 50 dollar phone from target.

You can recharge them by going to any news agent or post office and just asking for whatever plan you're on (i.e. I ask for a 30 dollar vodaphone recharge), but I think the unlimited one you can do on your phone/internet as well
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
How much of your phone are you planning to use, and how often? I mean, if you're not going to be using it loads, you could just get a pay-as-you-go contract. If it's only for 6-7 months, it's not like you're going to have loads and loads of contacts to regularly communicate with.
Quote by Dylan_86
Optus is alright. Telstra prices are ridiculous.

I use TPG, pay $15 a month (think it is $20 if you are not a home internet customer) and get $450 calls per month, 1.5gb data. Had no problems with coverage really, unless you go to places where coverage is pretty much terrible for all companies.

This is the way to go, I'm on the same deal only with a different company
I use Virgin for the free texting but it's got some pretty shit reception. Go with Optus depending on what you want to use it for.
West Ham United
I've never had a problem with Vodafone but I know a lot of people who seem to hate them with a passion. I had huge issues with Telstra's customer service, however the coverage is really good. Optus are pretty good.

Oh, and get used to things being expensive. Consider yourself lucky that you're in Melbourne and not Perth, and even then it's still pretty expensive in Melbourne.
Dealing with Telstra's customer service is a ****ing nightmare. It's possible you might get lucky and never have to deal with them but you should take that into account that you might
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
I've found Telstra's customer service to be as easy as anyone else. Just tell them you'll leave at the end of your contract and they tend to do what you want them too
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Another thing you could look into if you have a satellite phone is getting onto one of the afghani networks and then just pay roaming charges.

this tidbit of information was once said to me by a couple of army blokes who served away and shit, may be beneficial to you?
I'm currently with Telstra, on a $60 plan I get $600 of calls/MMS and unlimited text, plus 1GB of data (which could be better but I don't use it that much)

Never had any problems with reception. My dad used to when he had a phone with Optus, but that's because my parents live in a rural area.

Don't have any problems with their customer service either, nor have my parents (home phone + 2 mobiles + their internet with Telstra). They haven't seemed to have any problems when I've forgotten to pay my bill for a month either

EDIT: My $60 dollar plan also included a phone (Samsung GS3)
Last edited by littlephil at Oct 4, 2013,
Virgin mobile has a $19 pre-paid cap with $250 calls and free texts

bretty gud value :^D
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I personally use Optus (pre-paid though) and they're a good company for what I use my phone for. As others have said Telstra will give you more coverage but they'll gouge you for it and yes Oz is slang for Australia.
If you're living in a major city any provider will suffice.

However, if you're travelling to regional parts of the country, it would be best served to stay with the bigger carriers i.e. Telstra/Optus.

My girlfriend was using Virgin only about 3 months ago and whenever we went back to our hometown, she couldn't get any reception at all.
This was at a country town with the population of around 20,00 30,000 people mind you, not exactly a small town.
Fuck that nazi guy.
Im with Telstra on $64 a month including my iphone and thats unlimited calls and texts with 2gb data, you could just get a prepaid i had one for years.