Poll: should their be virtual conciquences for harming innocents in video games
Poll Options
View poll results: should their be virtual conciquences for harming innocents in video games
yes
17 40%
no
22 51%
I miss louise!
4 9%
Voters: 43.
Lolwut

http://nj1015.com/red-cross-wants-war-crimes-committed-in-call-of-duty-to-have-virtual-consequences-poll/

This makes me want to buy the game and be the biggest douche possible. Discuss
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
this sounds like a joke you'd hear while playing GTA.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
What's that video game with the lawyer and you shout "Objection!" or whatever?

They should just make a war-crimes version of that.

Boom problem solved.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by snipelfritz
What's that video game with the lawyer and you shout "Objection!" or whatever?

They should just make a war-crimes version of that.

Boom problem solved.

Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney. YOU CAN'T OBJECT TO MY OBJECTION!
Quote by Union Jake
just straight up normal male group jerking session, it was like i was on my own aprt from getting kinda bumped into and the weird noises.
Wait what?

Quote by bodyheatseeker

You earned your name, pal.
you still can perform the 'crimes' however you get punished for it in game (bad weapons, starting with lower health,...).

army of two had a system like that where you didn't get some weapons if e.g. chose to kill an innocent or made a 10year old perform suppressive fire with a sniper.

sounds fair to me actually
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
Seems like it would be an okay idea in some games, but certainly not in all as you'd just be crippling the artistic vision of the creator. Sometimes a game wants to give you the option, or force you into, being a bad guy to strengthen the storytelling.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
I've always wanted to be able to kill kids in fps games. You know, to add realism.
and why isn't there a 'rape' button? why even call it a sandbox game then??
Quote by jakesmellspoo

the news radio reports in those games are brilliant

But IRL people never get charged for "war crimes" so why implement that in the game when it doesn't actually happen in the real world?
Quote by Wormholes
But IRL people never get charged for "war crimes" so why implement that in the game when it doesn't actually happen in the real world?

Because that's much easier, solving problems that don't really exist.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Gantz92
I've always wanted to be able to kill kids in fps games. You know, to add realism.

Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
So you're playing the game, committing atrocities here, war crimes there and suddenly you're in the Hague defending yourself against the might of Phoenix Wright?

I want that game.
Quote by Mephaphil
So you're playing the game, committing atrocities here, war crimes there and suddenly you're in the Hague defending yourself against the might of Phoenix Wright?

I want that game.

Press X to shout "You can't handle the truth."
Quote by lt mittens
made a 10year old perform suppressive fire with a sniper.

holy shit
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Article
“The rules on the use of force in armed conflict should be applied to video games that portray realistic battlefield scenes, in the same way that the laws of physics are applied.”

So...barely, if at all, and sometimes completely warped beyond belief?

Sounds okay to me.
It could potentially add a lot of drama to a narrative.

Most war games are kind of tiresome. There's this jingoism and lack of nuance in every war game I can think of, even games trying to portray the costs of war and atrocities (like Spec Ops: the line)

It seems to me that one could get really deep narratives in the context of a war, either as part of a military force or as a civilian in a war-torn area.

Why not explore the chaos and its effects on the difficulty of proper engagement? How the rules become nebulous when under fire. How no matter well trained soldiers are, sometimes civilian casualties result. Have it cause tension within a unit or whatever.

A sequence like this could easily explore the boundaries of force considered reasonable in a given situation. It shouldn't be entirely one sided, like if you shoot one civilian by accident it's game over, but some mass effect style sequences would be interesting.
There's quite a lot of games where if you kill civilians you have to restart, or lose points.

While we're at this, though, CoD:G has space missions, right? I think you should have to depressurise for four hours between each one. This should happen in Mass Effect too, plus you should have to spend two weeks before every mission on a planet preparing for the atmosphere, gravity, pressure, etc. It's still a game, but it's realistic too.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
would people loose points for 360 no scoping, and that stupid stuff then?? that would be hilarious
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by jakesmellspoo

yes
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
The article didn't describe what war crimes are committed in the game.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't see a lot of PoWs being executed in Team Deathmatch.
Well we have seen war crimes in past CoD games, from the killing of surrendering soldiers to that whole airport massacre shenanigans
who are they to propose this? they don't own the system! fuk em!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank