I am looking for a small amp to record at home with and to generally practice along with cds,

i play and record metal music in the style of killswitch and threat signal so metalcore to melodic death metal.
im looking ideally for a tube amp.

My price rang is £250 no more really, i would consider solid state.
I dont need modelling amps as i have a pod xt which i use no and again but i dont really like the sound through my speaker.

I already have a Blackstar HT-1r amp which is quite good but its too dark sounding for my tatses and i only have the isp control to play with. I suppose the thing to look at would be the HT-5 but i want to know any other things out there to look at.

Quite like the new randall RD5 head but its a bit pricey atm
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

My band: www.facebook.com/deifieduk
(actually called Deified)
about £400 something like that, id have that or the studio if i could afford it but just bought an Orange rockerverb 100 so im bit strapped for cash and my peavey is not at my house so cant use that for in the house practice (60w) abit much for my place
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

I will always stand by the Roland Cube. If you look around, you can probably get the 40 watt and still have some change left over for some new pickups or a footswitch, so at that price it's a bargain for what you get. Highly recomended by me.
All my hobbies are expensive, pls $$donate to my cause$$
Quote by peavey6505+user
about £400 something like that, id have that or the studio if i could afford it but just bought an Orange rockerverb 100 so im bit strapped for cash and my peavey is not at my house so cant use that for in the house practice (60w) abit much for my place

damn i got mine for $460 new. (irt studio)

find a way to try one. it's probably what you want, at least it does exactly what you are describing and more.

there's plenty of ways to do it on the cheap though with just apps etc. there's always a cheaper way, how long you will deal with that is up to you though.

good luck in the quest.
Dunno how much the smaller Blackstar HT's go for these days, but they'd be worth looking into.
Silverburst
I could look at the HT-5 but I have the HT-1 and i fine it abit dark but maybe with the added treble control i could fix that
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal

Maybe you could try using an EQ with HT-1. EQ pedals can always be useful, and the Dan'o one is less than 30 bucks. Even if it doesn't take care of it, you didn't lose much (or anything in my opinion).
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Quote by tas38
Maybe you could try using an EQ with HT-1. EQ pedals can always be useful, and the Dan'o one is less than 30 bucks. Even if it doesn't take care of it, you didn't lose much (or anything in my opinion).

+1
Honestly, there's not a single amp within your price range that I'd even consider using for recording metal. Buy an interface and use one of the great, free, amp simulators out there
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by peavey6505+user
I could look at the HT-5 but I have the HT-1 and i fine it abit dark but maybe with the added treble control i could fix that

You could look into the HT-5 Metal Series amps that come out this month. At least in the states they said they would ship out in October.

Quote by tas38

I tried that when I first got my HT-1R not much difference, cuz of the small speaker. I think it would have more of a change when hooked up to a cabinet. I will test my HT-1R with it again once my 212 cab gets here next week.
Last edited by Blackfire. at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by MatrixClaw
That's hardly a small amp...

It depends on what you mean by small. If you exclude the size and weight it's got everything he needs.
There's a Laney Ironheart Studio for £350 on Nevada Music's website right now. Cheapest I can see it. Can you borrow £100 from someone, sell your blackstar and pay the money back? That's what I'd do in your scenario.
"Air created the greenness. And once you've got something, that leads to otherness." - Karl Pilkington.
Quote by Sethis
It depends on what you mean by small. If you exclude the size and weight it's got everything he needs.

He already has a 6505+ combo.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Lavatain
There's a Laney Ironheart Studio for £350 on Nevada Music's website right now. Cheapest I can see it. Can you borrow £100 from someone, sell your blackstar and pay the money back? That's what I'd do in your scenario.

i do recommend that the TS try it first, or only buy it if he can return it if he doesn't like it.
I cant sell my blackstar and i won it at a devildriver guitar clinic and it is signed by the whole band, lots fo sentimentle value to me. i have been looking at 1x12 cabs to see if they where cheap enough to hook the blackstar up to, its not that i dont like the sound i know there is a great tone there its just too dark through the speaker for jamming
GUITARS:
Jackson SLS3
Ibanez ART120 w/ Duncans
AMPS:
ENGL Fireball
PEDALS:
Boss NS-2
MXR ZW-44
TC Polytune
Digitech Drop pedal