Hey guys

So i play rock, blues, 80's metal stuff and i want to learn how to play fast, not Zakk Wylde fast but fast, the way i see it is there's 2 ways to go about it ( i don't know if they work or not) there's number 1. which is what i'm currently doing, just learning fast solos and over time building them up to speed or number 2. practicing playing fast using particular patterns to build speed, which works? or is it another option? I've only been playing for a year, if that helps

Thanks
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
They both work as long as you're making sure your technique is good at all points along the way. I prefer the learning solos method personally though, it means you end up with context and a piece to play at the end of it.

The key thing though is to make sure that you're not just parroting the licks when you play; make sure you understand the theory and why they work as you're doing it. Without understanding the bigger picture you won't become a real musician.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The standard for learning any physical activity is the same... You start out doing it slow and in good form, to get the "muscle memory" pathways established in your brain, then you increase speed gradually.
Do it right first, then increase speed.
I'd say a bit of both. Learning good solos is good because it means you're learning something musical, but at the same time, a few directed, strategic exercises (as long as you don't obsess over them and realise that they're exercises, not music) can really improve certain aspects of your speed in the most efficient way possible...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Learn to play efficienty and accurate and that ll make you play fast in the long run....if you heard the saying speed is the byproduct of accuracy you are on the right track..forget advices of the style"its sloppy but push it a bit more and dont worry,it ll clean up over time".Give your nervous system perfect repetitions(play as fast as you can without mistakes) and before long the speed ll be there when you need it .