Page 1 of 2
CRaul87
133 IQ
Hello UG!

So here is my first attempt at one of these solo contest thingies:P
So far I can't say that I had the most positive feedback so I am eager to know most of all why you guys don't like it
Most of ppl have said that it sounds dissonant and has nothing to do with the backing track.
I am fully aware that the creator"me" is highly inclined to be biased towards his creation, however I don't think that I am THAT biased and personally to me it sound fine and I hope that I'm not crazy but oh well.... tell me what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ftWiS2HIA
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
115 IQ
Quote by CRaul87
Hello UG!

So here is my first attempt at one of these solo contest thingies:P
So far I can't say that I had the most positive feedback so I am eager to know most of all why you guys don't like it
Most of ppl have said that it sounds dissonant and has nothing to do with the backing track.
I am fully aware that the creator"me" is highly inclined to be biased towards his creation, however I don't think that I am THAT biased and personally to me it sound fine and I hope that I'm not crazy but oh well.... tell me what you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ftWiS2HIA

well, keep in mind your asking for constructive criticism....

It doesn't sound like there is a connection between what you are playing, and what you are playing over. The timing and notes sound out of place.

It's obvious you practice often, but it sounds like your thinking your way through, not hearing or feeling it.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 18, 2013,
Fourfourforever
541 IQ
idk i guess the only problem i see is that you have that other music playing in the background of your little solo id edit that music out of the video people are going to think you are playing to it.
sukittrebek
50 IQ
Quote by GuitarMunky
well, keep in mind your asking for constructive criticism....

It doesn't sound like there is a connection between what you are playing, and what you are playing over. The timing and notes sound out of place.

This
it does sound a bit dissonant but to me the biggest problem is that it doesn't seem to fit too well with the beat. it seems like it's random and not really flowing with the song. although i will say your playing is nice and clean for sure
Last edited by sukittrebek at Oct 4, 2013,
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
A solo is primarily a complementary melody to the song. Vocals stop, let the guitar take the melody over for a while. I don't really like the melody of this solo, it just sounds like a bunch of random guitar tricks without a care for chord tones, or rhythm. You definitely have the chops however.

Analyse some of your favourite solos and ask why the guitarist chose to play certain notes at certain times with reference to the other instruments playing.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
As a solo in the context of the song you're playing over it simply doesn't work at all. Like everyone else has said there's literally no connection between the backing and what you're playing. It really doesn't sound like you even listened to the backing track, let alone tried to compose something that would fit the song.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Black_devils
460 IQ
Some people have got it and some people just don't. It sounds like your just playing random scales nothing about the solo sounds musical man.... Work on your ears seriously... scales aren't musical the solo sounded really generic and bland by the way do you palm mute after you bend? You should mute the string after your done bending. Your chops are great but you also need to work on your rhythm a lot more also your timing I listened to the solo numerous times and it just sounds out of place. I'm not hating i'm just giving you advice work on your rhythm and ears technique isn't everything man.
Last edited by Black_devils at Oct 5, 2013,
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
TS, do you think it sounds good over the song? (I don't.) But really, LISTEN to what you are playing. As people have said, you clearly can play. But you just need to start using your ears. Figure out the chords in the song and learn about dissonance and consonance. Also listen to the rhythm of the song and try to make your solo fit it rhythmically. Otherwise it will have no flow.

It's always good to know what you are playing over. First listen to the backing track. Then start playing. And if what you play doesn't sound good, try different things. Good solos aren't necessarily technically advanced. Good solos fit the song perfectly.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
British_Steal
UG Member
1,623 IQ
Ear training man,

you are not hearing the changes at ALL. You aren't highlighting them what so ever, no guide tones, no colour tones, nothing.

Your chops are totally up to the task, so all you need to do is spend some time on a bit of basic theory and a lot of ear training and you will be substantially better.
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Everything has been said I guess.

You might actually haven't hit a single consonant note anywhere.

Do some ear training practice, and play the C major scale over a C major chord for an hour each day, this might bring back the consonance in your hearing.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Vernon Jines
10 IQ
Your first attempt for the Toontrack's metal guitar God is appreciative but you need to work on C major scale then it will sounds like great one.
CRaul87
133 IQ
Ok, so taking all the feedback into consideration I have resubmitted my entry and tried to be more melodic and rhythmic. On my first entry many ppl said it sounded dissonant although to my ears it was fine, however it did have the problem of not being rhythmically spot on so I guess that might have contributed to the overall perception of it being dissonant.

Anyway, this is my second take, if it still sounds dissonant then I guess I'm just quirky like that or I have a brain tumor)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JHBTWEvFTo

http://www.toontrack.com/metalguitargod2013.asp#!/entry/626676
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
It still sounds kind of random. Rhythmically it was better (still not 100% accurate - listen to the drums) but the melody was kind of random sounding to me. It sounded like you just played some notes on the fretboard. Was this the sound you were after? Did you know what you were doing when you played it (sound wise) or was it just random noodling? Because to me it sounded pretty much like noodling.

So, did you use your ears when you played it (did you know what it was going to sound like)? Did you know the chords you were playing over? Did you know the key of the song? If yes, then you have a really unique style. If not, you should practice more.

Edit: If the song in the background was a bit louder, it would be easier for me to hear what chords you were playing over. The song either had a really cool harmony or what you played was really weird.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 18, 2013,
CRaul87
133 IQ
Rhythmically it was accurate, I didn't always start on the accented beat if that's what you mean but it wouldn't be any fun if I did that tbh.
Note choice wise you say it sounds random even though this time around in contrast to my first entry I tried to keep it more in check but then again just as the rhythm I can't(refuse to) keep it conservatory because playing the correspondent triads over each of the chords sound boring to me, all the respect to the guys that do that but I just can't.
Theory wise: I know all the modes, corresponding arpeggios but in this case...no I didn't know what chords I was playing over, they are your basic prog metal power chords with added extensions I guess.
When composing it I just came up with pleasant sounding phrases(for my ear) for each of the passing chords, chained it all together and that was that.
Thank you for taking the time to tell me your opinion but it's just one more nail in the "I'm weird and it sounds ok to me" coffin
Oh well.... more pls
Last edited by CRaul87 at Oct 18, 2013,
Vendetta V
The Creep
9,504 IQ
See the problem is in 'i'm weird and it sounds ok to me'. You can keep convincing yourself that that's how it is or you can admit that you have a lot to yet learn to pay attention to.

Your timing is quite harsh. By harsh I mean off on so many occasions throughout the solo. The first few tremolo notes appear all randomly and you don't pay attention to the accented notes in the backing track.

You're playing over 4/4 right? Why not respect the time signature and show some love to it with your timing? Do you know what's the difference between 4/4 and 2/4? 3/4 and 6/8? If you don't then I highly recommend you check out some tutorials on timing. Don't forget, 'Music is organized noise'... organized.

As for modes and arpeggios. hmmm this is not a modal track so I wouldn't even bother using modes here. Play in a key. I get it you, find 'playing the correspondent triads over each of the chords sound boring' to you but it's a great way to improve your ear and a great place to start from. While it sounds 'boring' to you, it would definitely sound better than what you have going in the video.

Again when you're playing keep listening to the actual backing track instead of rumbling around picking random notes with random accentuation.

Cheers, Vendetta V

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my
My

My

And Call Me V
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
You don't need to only play chord tones over the track. But you need to play notes that sound good. I agree that only playing consonant notes starts sounding boring after a while. But only playing dissonant notes makes it sound like you have no idea about what you are playing.

Also your solo needs to fit the backing track. You many times want to play similar rhythms as the backing track has. And also play over the chords the backing track has. That's why you have a backing track.

Next time you solo over a track, figure out the chords first. It's good to know what you are playing over.

BTW, if you know arpeggios and scales and stuff, how did you pick which ones to use? Did you use your ears or did you just think "I'm going to play in E phrygian and now I'm going to play a diminished arpeggio here"? Remember that music is all about sound. Even if your fingers know all these cool scales and arpeggios, it doesn't mean you can use them musically.

Also turn up the volume of your backing track. It's very important to hear the chords. I couldn't hear them over your guitar so I didn't hear what you were playing over (other than the drums) but I expected it not to have that strange chords. Maybe give us the name of the song?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
Quote by CRaul87
Rhythmically it was accurate, I didn't always start on the accented beat if that's what you mean but it wouldn't be any fun if I did that tbh.

You went out of time quite often, it was not accurate, sorry to say.

Quote by CRaul87
Note choice wise you say it sounds random even though this time around in contrast to my first entry I tried to keep it more in check but then again just as the rhythm I can't(refuse to) keep it conservatory because playing the correspondent triads over each of the chords sound boring to me, all the respect to the guys that do that but I just can't.

There wasn't a strong melody. A lot of guitarists fall into the trap of playing slowly and hoping it means more melody, the truth is, you need to have a good melody in order to play melodically. A good melody often has to stay within the constraints of music theory so that it can be memorable, it should move in a certain way, and use range to grip the listener, so you will have to follow the chords. There's playing chromatic notes and playing out of key.

Quote by CRaul87
Theory wise: I know all the modes, corresponding arpeggios but in this case...no I didn't know what chords I was playing over, they are your basic prog metal power chords with added extensions I guess.

But what are the chords? I'm entering this competition, and I can tell you, there are key changes. If you fail to hit those changes, you don't have a hope in hell, and learning those changes will give to a chance to explore your weirder side and start playing melodies that move across keys. You can find the guitar pro tab for this song on this site if you need it.

Quote by CRaul87
When composing it I just came up with pleasant sounding phrases(for my ear) for each of the passing chords, chained it all together and that was that.
Thank you for taking the time to tell me your opinion but it's just one more nail in the "I'm weird and it sounds ok to me" coffin

Ah, there's your problem. Where is your solo going? What's come before it and what comes after it? In the backing, when are the dynamics at their highest, when is the tension built and released? How is this done? A solo is not a chain of licks, it needs to flow, yours does not, frankly, it sounds like you've turned your webcam on, played the song, improvised to it once and decided that you were going to hand that in. Think of the prize, is that solo worth 2000 pounds? You need to think honestly, you say a lot of things like 'It's weird and I like it', but that doesn't mean anything. In music, you're being judged, by labels, by listeners, by judges, and by making up excuses to not improve, you will never achieve your potential.

I will go in the opposite direction to everyone else, I think your technique needs improving, your fingers are fast, however, I'm not sure that you'd be able to keep a steady semiquaver rhythm at 191bpm (the tempo of this piece) and play a scale run that flows through the chord changes, for example, and musically, you can't compose a coherent solo that goes through all of those changes and really fits the song. You need to sit down and work on your weaknesses, do your own style by any means, but, make it decent. I don't mean to be rude, but I think you really need to step back and hear how you really sound, you have potential, as does any guitar player, and it'd be a shame if you stopped yourself from progressing.

If you like weird stuff, look at the video below, this guy won a competition by taking a backing track that remained in one key and using chromaticism, it sounds like this is the kind of thing you want to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke2hCwS47xw
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
MattyBoy 1337
Registered Re-user
21 IQ
Quote by CelestialGuitar
A good melody often has to stay within the constraints of music theory so that it can be memorable,

Uh oh... Here we goooo
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
CRaul87
133 IQ
Hello all and thank you for all the feedback.

First of all to the people that think that I am using the whole "I'm weird and it sounds good to me" as an excuse to avoid all the criticism and not improve.-> I AM NOT! really...
I can see how it would be perceived that way though.
That's not to say that I don't have anything more to learn on guitar, far from it... but I am having a really hard time trying to hear my solo as any1 else but myself if you know what I mean.

Regarding this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke2hCwS47xw -> to me personally I was really surprised this guy won. No disrespect to the guy cuz he has the chops and I know that he is theory savvy but if I was to criticize his playing as we are doing here for my solo, funny enough I would describe his take just as you have described mine, just random notes that don't make much sense.

Anyway, I will keep on trying to better myself with this backing track even after the contest ends and see if I can get even 1 positive feedback.

P.S. the track is Erised by Periphery
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
115 IQ
Quote by CRaul87

First of all to the people that think that I am using the whole "I'm weird and it sounds good to me" as an excuse to avoid all the criticism and not improve.-> I AM NOT! really...
That's not to say that I don't have anything more to learn on guitar, far from it... but I am having a really hard time trying to hear my solo as any1 else but myself if you know what I mean.

Regarding this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke2hCwS47xw -> to me personally I was really surprised this guy won. No disrespect to the guy cuz he has the chops and I know that he is theory savvy but if I was to criticize his playing as we are doing here for my solo, funny enough I would describe his take just as you have described mine, just random notes that don't make much sense.

Anyway, I will keep on trying to better myself with this backing track even after the contest ends and see if I can get even 1 positive feedback.

I could be wrong, but what I perceive in your solos is a lack of experience with using your ears. It sounds like you're thinking your way through.

Can you play very many solos (and songs) all the way through by memory?

If you can did you learn that music by reading tabs? or by ear?

If your answer is no, (or yes but just with tabs), I would suggest that spending a period of time learning music by ear, and then playing that music by memory would greatly benefit your ability to play and improvise music. Just playing to the backing track over and over on it's own, without that fundamental experience will leave you in pretty much the same place.
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 19, 2013,
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Quote by CRaul87

Don't do it for positive feedback. Do it because you want to learn to play good solos.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
Quote by CRaul87

The difference between his video and yours is that you can tell that he knows what he's doing at all times and the execution is spot on. As a listener, I feel safe listening to him play, I know he's not gonna miss a note or go out of time, and that allows me to listen to the composition, as I'm not distracted by mistakes. I didn't feel safe listening to yours, it felt like you had several muscle memory licks you can pull out, and you jumped between all of those licks in an awkward manner. What I really think you need to do is download the guitar pro file of Erised and just compose the solo. That way, you can think of what you want to hear instead of being restricted by what you can play. Generally, when I write a solo, I end up writing something I cannot play, and that's good, it means I'm breaking out of my usual, scale runs, arpeggios and whatever else I tend to do when I noodle. Realistically, music doesn't come from the fingers, or the heart, it comes from your head, so try and think your way through this piece, see how you can really accentuate the key changes, what melodies can cross the keys and how you can make your solo one journey to the climax, and how you can put your own stamp on it while keeping with the mood of the piece. Once you can understand exactly what you want to achieve and what you want to record, you can work towards it.
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2

AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Quote by CRaul87

Sorry mate, I'm not thoroughly convinced that you can play in time.
Soundcloud
British_Steal
UG Member
1,623 IQ
Quote by AlanHB
Sorry mate, I'm not thoroughly convinced that you can play in time.

+1
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
To the original poster.

Why not get a guitar teacher?

I had one for 6 - 9 months, years ago, worked wonders.

It's good to check with a teacher every few years, just like you visit the doctor for your health.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
CRaul87
133 IQ
Working on the 3rd take atm and doing it very methodically with attention to the chord changes. Stand by, don't know exactly how long it's gonna take to nail it down before recording it.

The are no guitar teachers in my area that I regard highly enough in order to waste my time and money, witch is a bummer Not saying that they would't teach me stuff but tbh I don't feel like learning the blues.
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by CRaul87
Working on the 3rd take atm and doing it very methodically with attention to the chord changes. Stand by, don't know exactly how long it's gonna take to nail it down before recording it.

The are no guitar teachers in my area that I regard highly enough in order to waste my time and money, witch is a bummer Not saying that they would't teach me stuff but tbh I don't feel like learning the blues.

And that attitude is precisely why your solos suck, and why you're not going to get any better.

You are nowhere near as good as you think you are, the sooner you accept that the sooner you can start improving.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
115 IQ
Quote by CRaul87

you are where you are, a 3rd take isn't going to make a difference.

a 1st grader isn't going to pass a calculus test no matter how many times they try. The foundation just isn't there.

Quote by CRaul87

That's ridiculous. You're not in a position to have that kind of an attitude. You should have a high regard for pretty much any guitar teacher, anywhere.

I'd say without a change in attitude, you're pretty much doomed. Your joining contests when you should be getting down the basics.
CRaul87
133 IQ
Quote by GuitarMunky
you are where you are, a 3rd take isn't going to make a difference.

a 1st grader isn't going to pass a calculus test no matter how many times they try. The foundation just isn't there.

That's ridiculous. You're not in a position to have that kind of an attitude. You should have a high regard for pretty much any guitar teacher, anywhere.

I'd say without a change in attitude, you're pretty much doomed. Your joining contests when you should be getting down the basics.

I don't understand why you are being so negative. I'm doing my best and learning from my mistakes but if all you want to bring to this thread is your negative attitude then feel free to not post at all.

And I have the freedom to choose how I want to spend my time and money when it comes to guitar teachers. I never said that I don't have anything to learn from them, or any other guitar player out there but being a teacher is much more than having something to teach, it's a about inspiring your student and making him/her want to learn from you because they deem you worthy on more than an informational exchange level. -and I don't feel that way about any of the guitar teachers in my area...
Last edited by CRaul87 at Oct 20, 2013,
CRaul87
133 IQ
Quote by steven seagull
And that attitude is precisely why your solos suck, and why you're not going to get any better.

You are nowhere near as good as you think you are, the sooner you accept that the sooner you can start improving.

1. I never said I was some sort of a guitar legend or anything like that, I'm a bedroom guitarist like many out there and I fully accept the fact that I'm nowhere as good as I'd like to be.
2. Read above
GuitarMunky
I play guitar n stuff
115 IQ
Quote by CRaul87
I don't understand why you are being so negative. I'm doing my best and learning from my mistakes but if all you want to bring to this thread is your negative attitude then feel free to not post at all.

And I have the freedom to choose how I want to spend my time and money when it comes to guitar teachers. I never said that I don't have anything to learn from them, or any other guitar player out there but being a teacher is much more than having something to teach, it's a about inspiring your student and making him/her want to learn from you because they deem you worthy on more than an informational exchange level. -and I don't feel that way about any of the guitar teachers in my area...

I'm not being negative, I'm being honest. You're the one that posted and asked for criticism.

Quote by CRaul87

I tried to be as nice as possible in my 1st posts, explaining not only what I don't like, but also what I think would help, but you ignored those posts. I'm assuming it's because it wasn't what you wanted to hear.

I suppose I should know better than to try and help someone that's really just fishing for compliments. My apologies
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Oct 20, 2013,
steven seagull
not really a seagull
1,064 IQ
Quote by CRaul87
1. I never said I was some sort of a guitar legend or anything like that, I'm a bedroom guitarist like many out there and I fully accept the fact that I'm nowhere as good as I'd like to be.
2. Read above

I never said that, the problem is you're not as good as you think you are.

You're displaying an arrogance that far outstrips your abilities and that's far and away your biggest barrier to progress. After all, if you believe you're better than you are then you won't believe that you need to do the hard work necessary to improve. You've already demonstrated that with your dismissive attitude towards getting a teacher...they're not "good enough" for you. the stuff they teach is "beneath you".

Like I said, the sooner you get over yourself the sooner you can start making some serious progress - a little humility goes a long way when it comes to learning to play the guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

CRaul87
133 IQ
so I fully admitted to not being as good of a guitarist as I'd like to be and I also said that I still have much to learn either from guitar teachers or just players but apparently that still makes me arrogant. (I don't understand "internet logic") sry

I'll let my future recording(s) do the talking for me because there seems to be a verbal barrier between us
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist
518 IQ
People find you arrogant because this topic has basically gone like this;

"People say this video is bad, but I sort of like it, tell me what you think."
"It's bad and here's why, practice this."
"*makes another video* Is this better?"
"No, it's still bad for the same reasons as before, practice."
"Okay, I'll make another video."

You are never going to strike gold, I've got to put it bluntly. It is outside of your ability to put together a good solo to this progression, and that is why you need to practice. It is arrogant that you are seemingly unwilling to learn, many things have been said to you, but you've never said "Thanks, I'll practice using a metronome", "Thanks, I'll find a backing track that sticks to one key so that I can practice," "Thanks, I'll work out the chords before trying again", instead, you're diving in and recording what will inevitably be a poor solo. Instead of trying again and asking us what you think, you should be practicing the basics, because I have to put it bluntly, your timing, technique and general musicianship seem very poor, you need to understand that you're not ready for a contest such as this, and work on becoming ready. It sounds like you're fishing for a magic sentence that will make a light bulb go on in your head when you've really got hours of dedicated practice ahead of you.

Again, sorry to be blunt, but things appear to be getting somewhat nasty here.
Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2

CRaul87
133 IQ
so, this thread ended up where it has cuz I didn't say thanks for the feedback and because I posted a second take that was still bad?

I'm not here to buttkiss, or to fish for compliments as some said. I posted a recording and it got bashed, no biggie.. live and learn, posted a second one... still not good, ok... gotch, no offense or anything taken, I wanted the feedback.
-> What I don't appreciate is ppl telling me what I can or can not do or accusing me of being arrogant when I clearly made my videos available for criticism and have also stated my shortcomings. The point is to learn from the mistakes I made not to carry them with me but apparently some ppl here want me to do just that and their feedback is just a front for it.
TheHydra
421 IQ
Quote by CRaul87
so, this thread ended up where it has cuz I didn't say thanks for the feedback and because I posted a second take that was still bad?

I'm not here to buttkiss, or to fish for compliments as some said. I posted a recording and it got bashed, no biggie.. live and learn, posted a second one... still not good, ok... gotch, no offense or anything taken, I wanted the feedback.
-> What I don't appreciate is ppl telling me what I can or can not do or accusing me of being arrogant when I clearly made my videos available for criticism and have also stated my shortcomings. The point is to learn from the mistakes I made not to carry them with me but apparently some ppl here want me to do just that and their feedback is just a front for it.

Mostly people have been saying you can't play in time or write a good solo, which seems to be true.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Quote by CRaul87

I'm not exactly sure what you're hinting at mate, the solo is out of time and doesn't have a melody that enhances the song. Basically to fix this you should practice playing in time, probably at a slower speed first and secondly analyse some of your favourite solos and ask "why" the guitarist chose certain notes over certain chords, which you'll then integrate into your own solos.

Anyways at the risk of this turning into an opinion thread I like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxXh_VQat2o
Soundcloud
Hammetmad
10 IQ
Hey guys. Check out my entry. Cus im a new user it won't let me post a link but if u message me ill send a link
Last edited by Hammetmad at Oct 21, 2013,
Fourfourforever
541 IQ
these people are just being honest with you man your timing is so off i think u really skipped over the basics man you rushed and crammed technique but you never really worked on timing i can tell i honestly bet you couldn't even play a basic 12 bar blues progression and keep time with it let alone if someone was soloing over it you would be juttering everywhere. Honestly those blues teachers around you would really do great things for you i think what you actually need most right now is the blues lol.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,409 IQ
Quote by Hammetmad
Hey guys. Check out my entry. Cus im a new user it won't let me post a link but if u message me ill send a link

Just tell us the /watch... part of the link (if it's a Youtube video). I'm pretty sure it lets you post it.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c