Page 1 of 3
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/04/police-probe-chaotic-capitol-hill-car-chase-that-ends-with-suspect-shot-dead/

Authorities are investigating why a woman tried to ram a security barrier near the White House, setting off a high-speed pursuit that ended with the suspect being fatally shot near the U.S. Capitol and temporarily put the Hill on lockdown in what one witness described as "mass panic."

The chase and subsequent stand-off near the Capitol went down as lawmakers were debating under the dome about the partial government shutdown. Officials said it appears the incident had "no nexus to terrorism."

Police confirmed late Thursday that the suspect was killed after being struck by officers' gunfire.The Secret Service said she had a 1-year-old girl in the car, who was not injured.

The Associated Press identified the driver as 34-year-old Miriam Carey, of Stamford, Conn. The AP cited two law enforcement officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation.

More in the article.

Can anyone find an article saying the woman was armed, or that she hurt anyone when she rammed the barrier. Can someone else do some corroboration here?

Other articles:
http://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2013/10/police_suspect_killed_in_capit.html
Authorities would not say whether the woman had been armed.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/shots-fired-capitol-hill-97808.html
One Capitol Police officer was injured by hitting a barricade in pursuit of the suspect. Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said a Secret Service officer was also injured when the Infinity struck the officer.

The Secret Service seem to think that she hit another officer, but it's not in the chase video? http://www.politico.com/multimedia/video/2013/10/capitol-hill-shooting-car-chase.html
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Probably wouldn't have shot her if she wasn't driving like a maniac?

then again, women lol
pinga
Quote by WaterGod

Wait wut?
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
From what I've read she'd been severely depressed after the birth of her daughter, so badly she'd been hospitalized. So perhaps she was acting in a really messed up state of mind which is sad.

On whether she'd hurt anyone beforehand, Independent's article says "A Secret Service agent and a police officer were injured, but were said to be in good condition and expected to recover." but that's all it says. Not how, or by who. So unclear on whether she'd actually directly hurt anyone
Quote by thenextkirk92
From what I've seen, she backed into a parked police car a few time trying to escape.

The Secret Service is claiming she struck and officer, though. Also, backing into a police car a couple times warrants your death?
Given the security climate that exists, I'm having a hard time finding any sympathy for the driver.

It was a reasonable consideration that the vehicle may have had explosives on board, especially in light of her attempt to circumvent a security checkpoint, and that coupled with the way she was driving, made the vehicle itself a weapon. She didn't need to have a firearm to be dangerous.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Probably wouldn't have shot her if she wasn't driving like a maniac?

then again, women lol
Assuming this wasn't entirely serious but still a point people will bring up, apparently the car was stopped and then the shots that killed her were fired in to the stationary car. I think shots had been fired in the chase beforehand though.
That'll happen when you try to break into the White House with your car and start a chase.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by JustRooster
The Secret Service is claiming she struck and officer, though. Also, backing into a police car a couple times warrants your death?

It does when you try to ram the White House barricade and then drive off at a hundred miles per hour.
Quote by Weaponized
Judge, jury, and executioner baby

Dredd was such an awesome movie.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by WaterGod
It does when you try to ram the White House barricade and then drive off at a hundred miles per hour.

I wouldn't say that WARRANTS death, but it's easy to see how the police saw her as a threat given the circumstances
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by willT08
Assuming this wasn't entirely serious but still a point people will bring up, apparently the car was stopped and then the shots that killed her were fired in to the stationary car. I think shots had been fired in the chase beforehand though.

The video at the bottom of the OP shows the car stopped, backing up into a cruiser, then driving away. Shots are being fired as she's driving away.

Although, as you mentioned, the fatal shots came when the car was stationary.
Quote by JustRooster

That's not what I'm saying, I'm just saying she did ram a police car.

If they had cause to believe she was a danger to the White House and it's occupants then I guess they're allowed force. Who's to say she didn't have a concealed bomb in her car?
edgy meems only friendo :^)
Hmm...maybe, if she hadn't decided to ram the White House barricade and drive off and then proceeded to use her car as a weapon, she wouldn't have been shot.
Quote by JustRooster
The video at the bottom of the OP shows the car stopped, backing up into a cruiser, then driving away. Shots are being fired as she's driving away.

Again, given the security climate that exists and the location of the incident, is it your serious contention that this surprises you, or that there was something nefarious about the reaction(s) from the security personnel there?

Or are you just trying to stir up crap?
Charles Darwin
Quote by JustRooster

Ah well there we are.
If they had cause to believe she was a danger to the White House and it's occupants then I guess they're allowed force
From what I understand they were allowed to use force to stop the car, I'm not sure about the rules once they'd stopped it.
Lol apparently the lady thought she was being stalked by President Obama.
Well she was severely mentally ill, it's not particularly funny
This is Barack Hussein Obamacare's fault.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Arby911
Again, given the security climate that exists and the location of the incident, is it your serious contention that this surprises you, or that there was something nefarious about the reaction(s) from the security personnel there?

Or are you just trying to stir up crap?

Have you seen me post? Come on.

My issue is that they shot a lady in a stopped car. Obviously not the right way to go. Maybe I'm just mad at the officers because I've had training in this sort of thing. I've done my time at many sally ports, but overall I just feel like this is cut and dry not a "shoot to kill" situation.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
I wouldn't say that WARRANTS death, but it's easy to see how the police saw her as a threat given the circumstances

I'm not saying that I think it was right or wrong, I'm just saying that capitol security tends to are pretty fidgety about potential threats to the president.
I don't even really know what to say about how the police officers should have reacted. The idea that there'll be a time in the UK when there's been a mass shooting a couple weeks ago, the government has shut down and someone's ramming into Commons is just too ludicrous to think about
Quote by willT08

Well she was severely mentally ill, it's not particularly funny

Sorry I must be the first person on the pit to laugh at something like this.
lol @ fox news. "Straight talk about Obamacare" at the bottom of the page, but it shows Bill O'Reilly. They actually believe their own shit!

But i found this tidbit in that article

Gainer also said the injured Capitol Police officer crashed a police cruiser while trying to join the chase. The cruiser "seriously clipped" a barricade, he said, but the injuries are "not life threatening."

So...the cop is a shit driver and crashed himself into a barricade, and they end up blaming this chick and shoot her dead. Wonderful.

But i do get why they fired on her. Come to the White House and try and crash through the gates, what do you think is going to happen?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Sorry but in this case you don't have the luxury of analyzing the woman's personal issues. She was shot and killed for good reason. Let's not play Monday morning quarterback
Quote by JustRooster

My issue is that they shot a lady in a stopped car. Obviously not the right way to go. Maybe I'm just mad at the officers because I've had training in this sort of thing. I've done my time at many sally ports, but overall I just feel like this is cut and dry not a "shoot to kill" situation.

I'm going to guess that you haven't had enough training then, because deadly force authorization is this case was absolute.

The sex of the driver is immaterial, and the car was only stopped after multiple security breaches. Removing the potential for further aggression was the right call. Personally I'm impressed that it was managed without harming the passenger, which tends to propose that they weren't firing indiscriminately.

Had they found 500# of explosives in the trunk, this wouldn't even be an issue, and the point there is that they had NO way to know there weren't any, and a rational reason to suspect there might be. Her actions made her a grave security threat, no more and no less.

It's unfortunate that she's dead, given what we know now, but there's no blame that needs to be placed here.

Quote by willT08
I don't even really know what to say about how the police officers should have reacted. The idea that there'll be a time in the UK when there's been a mass shooting a couple weeks ago, the government has shut down and someone's ramming into Commons is just too ludicrous to think about

Agreed, the Gunpowder plot of 1605 was totally a rational idea...

More seriously, IRA bombings anyone?

Crazy shit sometimes happens...
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 4, 2013,
what's really amazing is that she was able to navigate through southern D.C. traffic successfully only to run into the most prominent monument there.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Arby911
I'm going to guess that you haven't had enough training then, because deadly force authorization is this case was absolute.

The sex of the driver is immaterial, and the car was only stopped after multiple security breaches. Removing the potential for further aggression was the right call. Personally I'm impressed that it was managed without harming the passenger, which tends to propose that they weren't firing indiscriminately.

Had they found 500# of explosives in the trunk, this wouldn't even be an issue, and the point there is that they had NO way to know there weren't any, and a rational reason to suspect there might be. Her actions made her a grave security threat, no more and no less.

It's unfortunate that she's dead, given what we know now, but there's no blame that needs to be placed here.

Honestly don't see how anyone could have much of a different opinion than this.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Hmm...maybe, if she hadn't decided to ram the White House barricade and drive off and then proceeded to use her car as a weapon, she wouldn't have been shot.

Maybe there's a lot more to it, maybe there's less to it, maybe someone acted out of protocol and deserves to be punished. We don't know to make judgements like that.

Hopefully the review will be fair and we can find out what happened.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
Maybe there's a lot more to it, maybe there's less to it, maybe someone acted out of protocol and deserves to be punished. We don't know to make judgements like that.

That wasn't a judgement, it was an observation, and given the information we have available, it was a reasonable observation.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

Seriously. It's a really sad situation and again shows the need for better mental health services. But there was really no other choice.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by JustRooster

they had no idea who or what she was. That car may have contained half a ton of explosives for all they knew.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
How the hell was a small car able to breach security badly enough that they felt it necessary to shoot her?

I suppose she'd be dead had she tried to crash through a stronger barrier. Shooting her is just the 'merican way of dealing with the situation.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by Arby911
That wasn't a judgement, it was an observation, and given the information we have available, it was a reasonable observation.

We don't know if she used it as a weapon, we don't know anything really. Maybe she didn't 'decide' anything. Maybe she was having a breakdown, maybe she saw everyone around her with weapons and needed to get her kid away.

Judgements.
She picked a pretty bad spot to be a crazy bitch. Acting like a loon behind a vehicle and around checkpoints is a surefire recipe for what happened, especially in the capital.
My God, it's full of stars!
Page 1 of 3