Page 1 of 2
Im looking for something that would cover nearly all genres from bands such as: the smiths, pink floyd, Nirvana, stone roses, ACDC, the who, the the, the kinks, king crimson, the doors, arctic monkeys. This is just to name but a few and i understand that some of them are completely opposite ends of the spectrum. So is there any guitars around £200-£700 price range that would do a good job of covering quite a few if not all of these bands ? Or would i just have to buy a few guitars to suit each ?

Cheers
I wouldn't say they are complete opposite ends of the spectrum, they're somewhat all related.

Anyway. I'd say a Fender Telecaster or Stratocaster. Mexican or Roadworn.
Quote by Mephaphil
I wouldn't say they are complete opposite ends of the spectrum, they're somewhat all related.

Anyway. I'd say a Fender Telecaster or Stratocaster. Mexican or Roadworn.

What about the classic series 50's Strats ? I currently have a Squire bullet strat ( ) due to saving up to buy a proper guitar. What tele's do you recommend ?
PRS CE22/24 if you get lucky

A strat with a HB would work, so would a Baja Tele
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Dark Wall Here
What about the classic series 50's Strats ? I currently have a Squire bullet strat ( ) due to saving up to buy a proper guitar. What tele's do you recommend ?

Baja Teles are good, as are the Roadworn, or the Made in Mexicos.

I'm not a huge fan of the Classic Series, but lots like them.

What amp do you have?
Quote by Mephaphil
Baja Teles are good, as are the Roadworn, or the Made in Mexicos.

I'm not a huge fan of the Classic Series, but lots like them.

What amp do you have?

Fender Mustang 3 V.2 Model Amp. I love it
Quote by Robbgnarly
PRS CE22/24 if you get lucky

A strat with a HB would work, so would a Baja Tele

PRS is too expensive
it's up to you, really. any one guitar is going to involve some level of compromise, but at the same time it's also debatable if splitting your budget to get two guitars is a good idea, either, if it means going with lesser quality.

Off the top of my head, though, an HSS/p90SS blue label fretking (super 60), which can normally be got for £400 new (much less second hand) might be a decent all-rounder. or you could maybe get the super s tele/strat hybrid (same price) and that'd leave you £300-£400 for a humbucker guitar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by kyuseok
What about SG things?

SG's are worth a look, but you will want coil tap/split or get the Seymour Duncan P-rail which can do just about anything.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just about any guitar will cover a wide spectrum. Consider that most of Led Zeppelin's earlier material was done on a Telecaster. A strat with a humbucker in the bridge position would let you rip into ACDC with a little more ease, but even a strata single coil will do that.

Metal can be a touch of a problem, but with a high enough gain, you can do it with anything. It all comes down to those fingers of yours.
Seconding the Fret-King Super 60- I have one and love it.

Adding to the list the Reverend Double Agent II or III, Gil Parrish I or II, and Reeves Gabrels I or II because of their unusual pickup arrays and controls...but Revs are generally pretty flexible.

The Godin xtSA and Freeway SA are very flexible.

Something like a used Parker NiteFly, MaxxFly, or P-38 would be a good option, too, especially since tseveral of those also have piezos in addition to being HSS.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 4, 2013,
Stratocaster are the answer to every (almost) question.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Seconding the Fret-King Super 60- I have one and love it.

Actually, after I posted it, I wonder if the super s tele/strat hybrid might be a better idea. It'll make a pretty decent fist of doing most tele and strat tones (an even better one if you could be bothered modding the wiring so you can also get neck+bridge pickups together), and it's cheap enough that it'd leave the second guitar option open- something more gibson-like with humbuckers (or even p90s, but humbuckers might be the safer plan).

As long as going for two guitars is a sensible option (the fret kings are pretty good IMO, and I'm not sure you'd get that much better without upping the budget substantially, but you could probably do slightly better than a FK at the top end of that budget if you know what you're doing), and as long as he doesn't need a trem.

I mean, I'd be the first to agree that one good guitar is a better idea than two mediocre ones, but in the real world those aren't the only two options. It depends on how badly you need the versatility (if you need versatility, two good different guitars might be more useful than one very good one which is less versatile), how much improvement in quality you'd be getting by going for that one better guitar, etc. etc. I'm never sure what the right answer is.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 4, 2013,
I've seen almost every guitar used in every genre.

Even my Jackson rhoads V sounds amazing for blues tones kidding u not, although it looks horribly out off place

I've never seen a (good) metal band playing a fender twin, or a blues guy with an Engl.

I'd say getting multiple amps is a better effort.

This is however the electric guitar forum, so I might get biased slack for this

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 4, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
Actually, after I posted it, I wonder if the super s tele/strat hybrid might be a better idea. It'll make a pretty decent fist of doing most tele and strat tones (an even better one if you could be bothered modding the wiring so you can also get neck+bridge pickups together), and it's cheap enough that it'd leave the second guitar option open- something more gibson-like with humbuckers (or even p90s, but humbuckers might be the safer plan).

Agreed. Those Fret-King Country Squiers look good to me.

http://www.fret-king.com/cssemitone2blacklabel.html

http://www.fret-king.com/cssemitonedlxblklbl.html

http://www.fret-king.com/cssemispecialblklabel.html

I mean, I'd be the first to agree that one good guitar is a better idea than two mediocre ones, but in the real world those aren't the only two options. It depends on how badly you need the versatility (if you need versatility, two good different guitars might be more useful than one very good one which is less versatile), how much improvement in quality you'd be getting by going for that one better guitar, etc.

Yep!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I've seen one Fret King in store in my travels around the UK. I don't know if he would get a chance to try them. :/
Depends on where he is. I know of 2 stores in London that sell them.

^^ That's a good point.

Quote by xxdarrenxx

Even my Jackson rhoads V sounds amazing for blues tones kidding u not, although it looks horribly out off place

I've never seen a (good) metal band playing a fender twin, or a blues guy with an Engl.

most of us post in both EG and G G&A. That's not to say we're not biased, of course, but I don't really have any bias regarding amps versus guitars. Really in an ideal world you'd have a bunch of guitars and a bunch of amps.

It just depends, really. I'd agree that the amps generally make more difference, but it does depend on what you're comparing. There are definitely certain types of guitar whose tones you'll struggle to nail if you don't have that style of guitar, regardless of how many amps you have available to you.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I'm always concerned that the black labels aren't quite as high quality as the blue labels, though- they lose the japanese gotoh hardware, on some models they have agathis instead of african mahogany (and on some models they use 3-piece bodies whereas the blue labels normally use 2-piece centre-jointed). You can normally pick up the blue labels slightly cheaper than the black labels, too, which makes it sort of a no-brainer if a similar-enough guitar is available in the blue label series, IMO.

Though I should add that I haven't tried the black labels (not to mention that judging a guitar purely on its specs is normally not the most sensible thing to do), but that's always my concern. And also, despite all I said, I still have GAS for the semitone special and deluxe
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Denmark Street? That's where I saw the one I saw, a few years ago. I go every now and again, it's all very over priced and the shops are always empty.

Because no one is ever in the shops they are somewhat sterile, but the guitars are cool.
Last edited by Mephaphil at Oct 4, 2013,
I'm digging the Esprit 5 Frets Guitar Centre- one of the stores i mentioned*- is stocking, and that semihollow Black Label GG. The Esprit puzzles me, though- I can't find one that looks like it on F-K's site. It may be an older one or a limited edition...

* the other is Ivor Maraints.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 4, 2013,
I don't think frets is in London.

IIRC Ivor Maraints is sort of off oxford street (to the north IIRC). Not too far from denmark street, but not on it, either. i was in it before fretking started up again so i didn't get to try any
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no worries, i just figured i'd chip in too
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I don't think frets is in London.

Ach, right so!

Here I was trying to be helpful, and I do the "ugly American" thing, mistakenly assuming all commerce in the UK happens in London!

It's in Lancashire.

to be fair, I think most of it does
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a nashville tele (3 pickups) and an Ibanez rg...both are versatile. RG is a bit better playability and plays all genres. The humbuckers def help cut down the noise that you may get from wiring or other electronics. Most of your sound will come from the amp, though, you could play your squire through a nice amp and itd be versatile.
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
Quote by xxdarrenxx

I have an Engl Gigmaster and I wholeheartedly disagree. Maybe not traditional blues tones, but its cleans sound wonderful (to me).
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
I have an Engl Gigmaster and I wholeheartedly disagree. Maybe not traditional blues tones, but its cleans sound wonderful (to me).

True that I meant more what they are known for. Almost every amp company has both good clean amps, mid gain amps, and high gain amps. Gotta have a versatile market right.

Dave,

I agree that classic strat tone or tele tone to a hollowbody to a full on humbucker guitar are worlds apart, I'm in the same boat.

I was just thinking in choosing 1 guitar or 1 amp, then in my opinion a (specific) amp would be able to be more diverse.

My main guitar has split an parralel coil options, and while it doesn't nail any classic tone, it's versatile in the the way it set's up.

It wil sound bright and mid-dy through a marshall, does not distort a clean channel. Has a very dynamic range when paired with a dynamic amp, and the pups are defined and focused enough to give clarity when paired with a high gain metal monster in lower tunings.

When on the neck pup when paired with an Orange it will also have a lot of low end (mahogany guitar). It is however to dark and beefy to nail a strat kind of tone, but that was a thing I could not see getting from one guitar

Either dark and beefy or transparent and bright. Due to the inherent nature of those being so opposite it's almost impossible to get admirable results from just one axe.

Fender vs Gibson is not only a culture driven mash up

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Oct 6, 2013,
Ultimately, of course, almost any guitar can be used in almost any genre. The LP was all but dead in '86 (and, in fact, on its way to being discontinued by Gibson yet again), so when Slash pulled one out to use on AFD, it was very much NOT what the rest of guitardom was using for hair metal.

My most versatile "ordinary" guitar is a neck-through 24-fret H-S-H Superstrat (happens to be a Carvin) with coil taps and a bridge pickup add-in switch. It's done in solid mahogany with a maple cap. With the coil taps activated, it's essentially a strat. In full humbucker mode, and with the bridge pickup add-in switch, it's very LP-esque.

My most versatile guitar at the moment is the Variax JTV 89F. 24-fret super strat shape, Floyd Rose (the "F" part), dual humbucker, etc., with one dial that allows me to select something like 25 guitar models and another dial that allows me to select nearly a dozen alternate tunings. Want tele? Got tele. Strat? LP? Rickenbacker? Acoustic 12-string? Pretty much all of what you need. And what you don't have built into the guitar you can build into the guitar yourself using Workbench.
Quote by dspellman
Ultimately, of course, almost any guitar can be used in almost any genre. The LP was all but dead in '86 (and, in fact, on its way to being discontinued by Gibson yet again), so when Slash pulled one out to use on AFD, it was very much NOT what the rest of guitardom was using for hair metal.

My most versatile "ordinary" guitar is a neck-through 24-fret H-S-H Superstrat (happens to be a Carvin) with coil taps and a bridge pickup add-in switch. It's done in solid mahogany with a maple cap. With the coil taps activated, it's essentially a strat. In full humbucker mode, and with the bridge pickup add-in switch, it's very LP-esque.

My most versatile guitar at the moment is the Variax JTV 89F. 24-fret super strat shape, Floyd Rose (the "F" part), dual humbucker, etc., with one dial that allows me to select something like 25 guitar models and another dial that allows me to select nearly a dozen alternate tunings. Want tele? Got tele. Strat? LP? Rickenbacker? Acoustic 12-string? Pretty much all of what you need. And what you don't have built into the guitar you can build into the guitar yourself using Workbench.

It seems as if modeling guitars aren't very popular here? I am very inexperienced myself but i think they're cool.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

Dave,

I agree that classic strat tone or tele tone to a hollowbody to a full on humbucker guitar are worlds apart, I'm in the same boat.

I was just thinking in choosing 1 guitar or 1 amp, then in my opinion a (specific) amp would be able to be more diverse.

My main guitar has split an parralel coil options, and while it doesn't nail any classic tone, it's versatile in the the way it set's up.

It wil sound bright and mid-dy through a marshall, does not distort a clean channel. Has a very dynamic range when paired with a dynamic amp, and the pups are defined and focused enough to give clarity when paired with a high gain metal monster in lower tunings.

When on the neck pup when paired with an Orange it will also have a lot of low end (mahogany guitar). It is however to dark and beefy to nail a strat kind of tone, but that was a thing I could not see getting from one guitar

Either dark and beefy or transparent and bright. Due to the inherent nature of those being so opposite it's almost impossible to get admirable results from just one axe.

Fender vs Gibson is not only a culture driven mash up

yeah at times you just have to compromise, depending on the situation. And to a certain extent it's pretty subjective, for some people it's too much of a compromise, for others it's not.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JustRooster
Stratocaster are the answer to every (almost) question.

+1
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Page 1 of 2